Official Hockey discussion thread

I'm too lazy to read through this whole thread, so subject to your approval/extreme disapproval, I'm going to mention that I support the Hurricanes.

(I actually support the Whalers, I refuse to acknowledge the name and location change)

I'm cool with that.  The 'Canes are a great team with a lot of good talent.  If they could get a big name defenseman they'd rock the League.

Powergirl81 said:
Ronnie Francis was a great Pen! I've had the pleasure of watching him on ice a few times in the 90s  :D

Agreed! I knew him as a Pen and that is what he will always be for me :D When my brother and I talk about the new Pens: Crosby, Malkin, Staal, Whitney, Fleury; we always compare them to Lemieux, Jagr, Francis, Coffey and Barrasso hehehe. Hell their power play is just if not more effective :D

@ PH, I like the Whalers ('Canes), if only they were in Canada or an actual Hockey Market... Like back in Hartford.

This thread has been dry for way too long.

I watched a historic event today.  The Sabres hosted the Pens in the first ever NHL outside game on USA soil.  The only other one happened in Edmonton a few years back.  The game was interesting as snow was falling from the start.  Pittsburgh scored early (21 second) with Armstrong thanks to a Crosby assist.  However, Buffalo totally dominated the second period evening the game within the first two minutes thanks to a Campbell goal.  The snow snopped by the second period, but came back with a vengeance in the third.  The game was stopped midway so the zambonis could do their jobs.  No one scored in the third or OT.  In the shoot out, the snow prevented any exciting dekeing.  It looked like Buffalo was going to take it with an early goal and a shot out, but Pittsburgh thankfully prevailed with two shot outs and a Crosby goal.  All in all, it was a pretty interesting game, a kind I've not seen in the NHL before.  Final score: Pittsburgh 1 (2) to Buffalo 1 (1).  Another interesting fact is that both teams wore uniforms from the 1970s.

From the official NHL website:

Crosby's shootout shot provides frozen moment in time for Penguins
Associated Press

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. (AP) -Sidney Crosby's shootout goal will always be frozen in time.

The Penguins captain somehow saw space between Ryan Miller's pads as he shifted through driving snow and gave Pittsburgh a 2-1 win over the Buffalo Sabres in the outdoor Winter Classic in front of a league-record 71,217 fans on Tuesday.

In elements way more suited for football than hockey, Crosby won the NHL's second outdoor game - and first in the United States - in the most dramatic of fashion at Ralph Wilson Stadium, home to the NFL's Buffalo Bills.

Crosby skated down the middle, eluded a pokecheck by Miller and put a shot between the goalie's pads on the final round of the shootout.

Ty Conklin allowed Ales Kotalik's goal to open the tiebreaker before stopping Tim Connolly and Maxim Afinogenov.

Kris Letang also scored for the Penguins, pushing his shootout record to 4-for-4.

Colby Armstrong gave Pittsburgh a 1-0 lead just 21 seconds after the opening faceoff, and Brian Campbell tied it 1:25 into the second.

What a great hockey game.  A little slow at times because they were always scraping the ice and such, but just wow.  72,000 screaming hockey fans, it gives you a taste that in some markets, hockey could be as big as football if it had a chance.

I hear rumours that the next Classic will be between Pittsburgh and Philadelphia, but I think, if they really, really want to make a shitload of money and get the USA to pay attention, the next one should be at Giants Stadium between the Rangers and the Red Wings.  And then, of course, give us an outdoor game between Montreal and Toronto.

NYR Vs. Det? Very good suggestion! I just read the results on NHL.com and it honestly made my morning a whole lot better. 71,000 people is almost unfathomable in hockey! Normal crowds hover a bit over 16,000. What a great game honestly. I hope the league keeps these classics up, and I still don't like the pens retro jersey from the 70's, what an ugly blue, but the Sabre's is awesome, I like the blue one better though.

Weather in Buffalo made for less-than-thrilling hockey, but you could tell the players were having a blast.  Glad I was in sunny L.A. rather than in the stands, though -- looked miserably cold.  Rangers v. Wings in Giants Stadium is a fantastic idea. 

That game yesterday was awesome! And what better way to win it for the hometown boys than Sidney? In a shootout?  :D Totally awesome goal!

I was a bit confused to see the blue jerseys the Pens wore, until I realized that's their retro jerseys from the 70s when they were a pretty bad team lol When Mario joined they were black and gold. (Or did they go to that before 1984?)

Kinda like when Gretz was traded to LA. They had these pretty ugly purple and yellow jerseys and then Wayne came in and brought hockey to Los Angeles  :p And with it, new (and better) jerseys.

Buffalo is only about 2 1/2 hours away from me, I could have driven to that game!  :bigsmile:

When Sidney scored in the shootout, he yelled so loud you could hear it.  Wow!

Though, my favourite bit was Don Cherry flipping his coattails at the camera when they zoomed in on his little hut from behind.

Just so you know, American hockey fans, Don Cherry is always right.

I've watched plenty of his Rock 'Em Sock 'Em videos from back in the day!  :lol:

I didn't even notice he was there  :blush: I need to pay more attention! hehe

Powergirl81 said:
That game yesterday was awesome! And what better way to win it for the hometown boys than Sidney? In a shootout?  :D Totally awesome goal!

I was a bit confused to see the blue jerseys the Pens wore, until I realized that's their retro jerseys from the 70s when they were a pretty bad team lol When Mario joined they were black and gold. (Or did they go to that before 1984?)

Kinda like when Gretz was traded to LA. They had these pretty ugly purple and yellow jerseys and then Wayne came in and brought hockey to Los Angeles  :p And with it, new (and better) jerseys.

Buffalo is only about 2 1/2 hours away from me, I could have driven to that game!  :bigsmile:

I think they changed in 82 or whenever the Steelers won the super bowl to kinda "share" in the good luck and for all pittsburgh teams to have the same if not similar colors. Boston threw a fit, claiming they had exclusivity to the colors and the NHL gave them the finger citing Pittsburgh had worn those colors before the ugly blue... I think.

L.A and New York of 93 and 94 had something in common, they basically split all of the Edmonton players from the 80s... goes to show those were good players regardless of the team they played for, one reached the finals and the other won the cup... So it wasn't just Gretzky who went to L.A to "bring hockey" to California.

Powergirl81 said:

Only 1 hour from me.  Beat you.  :p  (I could not go on New Year's day anyway).

LooseCannon said:
When Sidney scored in the shootout, he yelled so loud you could hear it.  Wow!

Though, my favourite bit was Don Cherry flipping his coattails at the camera when they zoomed in on his little hut from behind.

Just so you know, American hockey fans, Don Cherry is always right.

My favourite moment was the first goal in 21 seconds.  The Don Cherry moment was funny.  It seemed like he was posing for the camera.  Speaking of Don Cherry, he was voted as one of the best Canadians a few years back.

Onhell said:
L.A and New York of 93 and 94 had something in common, they basically split all of the Edmonton players from the 80s... goes to show those were good players regardless of the team they played for, one reached the finals and the other won the cup... So it wasn't just Gretzky who went to L.A to "bring hockey" to California.

That's right there is Paul Coffey, Jari Kurri and of course Mark Messier. 

Genghis Khan said:
That's right there is Paul Coffey, Jari Kurri and of course Mark Messier. 

MacTavish, Anderson, Lowe :D. Did Coffey play for L.A in 93? I don't remember, I know he was part of at least one cup with the Penguins like Recchi. speaking of Recchi, sad he didn't pan out with the pens this year, placed on waivers and picked up by Atlanta.... sheesh, at least he seems to be performing better there.

That Edmonton team was a powerhouse in the 80s. They desverved 4 Cups. They should have won 7 in a row, if it wasn't for #33 in 1986 and Calgary in 1989...but hey, they have their place in hockey history.

I don't remember Coffey playing for PGH in 1993. *ckecking Wiki* He was traded to Pit in 1987 and won the Cup with them in 1991, then went to LA for 2 seasons, 1992-93 (good memory, Onhell!  :ok:), then Detroit until 1996 then Hartford, Chicago, Carolina, and finally Boston before retiring. So...that's 4 Cups, if I did it right...

Craig MacTavish. He never wore a helmet! Wasn't he like, the last one not to? *looking at Wiki again* Yes! It says so right at the beginning!  :D You guys are bringing back memories of me watching all those classic highlight films... :D

Canada claims 4th straight Word Junior Hockey title

Team Canada celebrate defeating Sweden in overtime to win the gold medal game at the 2008 IIHF U20 World Junior Hockey Championships in Pardubice, Jan. 5, 2008. Matt Halischuk scored the overtime winner to give Canada a 3-2 win over Sweden in the final on Saturday. That made it four straight gold medals for Canada in the tournament.

Source.

Unfortunately, I missed the game.  I left work hoping to catch it, but when I got home there were too many responsibilites waiting for me.  Anyway, I am happy with the result. 

Back