Official Hockey discussion thread

LooseCannon

Enterprise-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
Last game was really, really good, but the Lightning were just gassing out as the game went on, and that OT, the Avs dominated. It really doesn't look good for the 2x champs, but they have played a ridiculous amount of hockey since the NHL came back in 2021. It wears you down. As an Avs fan, I am hoping for it to be over on Friday. Lord Stanley will be in the building!

Bruins1

Ancient Mariner
Last game was really, really good, but the Lightning were just gassing out as the game went on, and that OT, the Avs dominated. It really doesn't look good for the 2x champs, but they have played a ridiculous amount of hockey since the NHL came back in 2021. It wears you down. As an Avs fan, I am hoping for it to be over on Friday. Lord Stanley will be in the building!
Wish your team had won it Friday. Hope they win it tonight. Glad former Bruin great Ray Bourque was on the Avs back in 2001 when they won the Cup then. I watched every game because he was with them.

bearfan

Ancient Mariner
The President of the Dallas Stars was on TV this morning talking about their community programs around Dallas/Ft. Worth area. Some interesting things.

Before the Stars moved here, there were 0 High School Hockey teams, now there are 6
They have built 20 sheets of ice across the area (not counting the sheets the Stars use)
There are now 600 girls in youth hockey (up from 0)
12 players from Stars youth programs have been drafted into the NHL (up from 0)

They are not my favorite team by any stretch (mostly because they are in the same division as the Hawks and carry over dislike from the North Stars days), but I do really admire what they have done to grow the game in the area

LooseCannon

Enterprise-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
I mean, the Stars sell out many games, they have built a lot of rinks, they have driven up a lot of junior registration. When we look back at the southern strategy in the 90s there are a couple big flops - the Thrashers and the Coyotes - but there's a lot of successes. Tough to argue the Sharks, Ducks, Stars, Lightning, and Hurricanes haven't been successful, and Florida might just break through and get there now too.