Official Hockey discussion thread

Looks like in 2004 Toronto had the 19th pick, which they traded to Calgary, who in turn traded it to the NY Rangers (who picked Lauri Korpikoski)... didn't see what they got for it, tho...

So, who did Toronto desperately acquire in 2004 for another abortive attempt on the Cup?  Hard to tell.

But who is tied for first in the scoring race with Lecavalier? That's right Sid, the Motherfucking Kid!

Why The Leafs Suck Part 2:
People Overlooked At The Draft.

1998: Alex Tanguay, Robyn Regehr, Simon Gagne, Scott Gomez, Jonathan Cheechoo, Mike Ribiero, Brad Richards, Erik Cole, Brian Gionta, Jaroslav Spacek, Andrei Markov, Michael Ryder.
  Pick actually wasted on: Nik Antropov.

1999: Martin Havlat, Jordan Leopold, Mike Comrie, Ryan Miller, Martin Erat, Henrik Zetterberg. (Wow, what a shitty draft.)
  Pick actually wasted on: Luca Cereda.

2000: Justin Williams, Niklas Kronwall, Ilya Bryzgalov, Andreas Lilja, Dan Ellis, Paul Martin, Lubomir Visnovsky, Michel Ouellet, John-Michael Liles, Henrik Lundqvist, Matthew Lombardi,
  Pick actually wasted on: Brad Boyes.

2001: Colby Armstrong, Derek Roy, Mike Cammalleri, Jason Pominville, Peter Budaj, Tomas Plekanec, Patrick Sharp, Ray Emery, Cory Stillman, Kevin Bieksa, Marek Svatos, Martin Gerber.
  Pick actually wasted on: Carlo Coliacovo.

2002: Cam Ward, Matt Greene, Duncan Keith, Erik Christensen, Matthew Lombardi (again!), Valterri Filppula, Paul Ranger.
  Pick actually wasted on: Alex Steen.

2003: Mark Stuart, Ryan Kesler, Mike Richards, Corey Perry, Patrice Bergeron, Shea Weber, Patrick O'Sullivan, Drew Miller.
  Pick actually traded for Brian Leetch to Boston.

Wow!  You did your homework!

Ok, LC, I had been thinking you were a dis-satisfied Leafs fan, but after cruising this thread, I get the feeling you are a Habs fan.  Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, no offense intended here!

Oh, I am a Habs fan.  But the fact that the Leafs organization has been murdered by constant years of shitbox terrible GMs makes me sad.  I remember when the rivalry between the Leafs and Habs was the single greatest thing in hockey.

I guess that I am just tired of watching the Habs beat the Leafs.  It's like beating up someone's little brother with Down's Syndrome.

OK, I get that one.  A rivalry looses its luster when the game isn't worth watching.  I do remember when the Leafs were a strong team.  Actually, I started watching the year that the Blues swept the Blackhawks and then lost to the Leafs in 7.  But you are right, they haven't been that great the last few years.  I listen to a lot of Chicago sports radio, and Chi-town is really happy these days, because the Blackhawks have been able to field a team that doesn't suck horribly.  They aren't the best (obviously) but they can get some really weird wins- I think they beat the 'Wings 4 straight at the beginning of the season.  And, for me, its nice to see the Blues better this year.  

I feel your pain.

Chicago has a fantastic young team.  Fantastic.  Toews, Kane, Havlat, Sharp, Ruutu, Keith.  Fantastic young team.  Only going to get better.  We should all be so lucky as to have that kind of young talent and budding superstardom.  Assuming Havlat can play a year without getting hurt, he'd be dominant.

Oh, I'd agree.  I am baised towards them, but they have really built a pretty good team there.  I didn't follow them much till recently, but my understanding was that they were under new ownership, and they were dedicated to making the 'Hawks something that Chicago could be proud of.  Their attendence is up, the radio talk shows speak highly of them (as much as those shows do), and they are starting to get more and more TV time... I think they went from little or no games to maybe 10+ this year.

Wonderful.  The Hawks deserve good ownership.  They've been so poorly treated for the last 10 years.  The Hawks had glory days - Bobby Hull and Stan Mikita...

Yeah, and I'd even say they were pretty iconic in Chi-town when they had Belfour, Chelios, Roenic and the like  (early to mid 90's?)

Yeah, a few... and, yeah, my name spelling leaves a little to be desired.  As does my memory.  I had first written "Vernon" instead of "Belfour". 

Chicago in the early to mid 90s was an awesome team as was Toronto for that matter with Potvin, Gilmour, Anderchuck and others who completely elude me at the moment.

OH, yeah, 'Felix the Cat', right?  Where did he end up going, out to one of the west coast teams? 

Ok, did some research, because I just can't remember all of this stuff.  He played with the Leafs till CuJo came to play (which broke my heart... got my son's middle name from Curtis Joseph).  He then played for the Canucks, and Boston (don't remember in which order), but not too much.  He then had a 'resurgance' while playing for the Kings (thought he was west coast for a while) and took them to two playoffs, beating the 'Wings once and then loosing to the Avalanche in 7; and again loosing to the Avalanche in 7 the following year.  That pretty much did it for him.  (research credit to wikipedia)
I'm watching the Wild at the Avalanche (3rd period) and the announcers were talking about some of the players on the ice.  One of the announcers mentioned that the Leafs had a scout in the stands, and the other one said that the Leafs need a scout in every stand!

Back