Official Football Thread

4-0 Chelsea vs. Rosenborg. I saw about 20 minutes of that game (including Chelsea's 4th goal) and its pretty obvious to me why Chelsea won by such a large margin.

Natalie said:
4-0 Chelsea vs. Rosenborg. I saw about 20 minutes of that game (including Chelsea's 4th goal) and its pretty obvious to me why Chelsea won by such a large margin.

Well, I think it's a bit odd to judge on this background - as the outcome was clear already. The main reason for Chelsea's win was that they were:

- More disciplined in defense, so they won the ball often
- Whole-hearted in their breakdowns, the two first goals were top-class examples of winning the ball and setting full pace towards the goal.

They got a good start and Rosenborg were unable to recover. Right now, Chelsea are clearly a lot better than the rest of the teams in this group.

Record time! :)

AZ's 32nd home game in Europe was a tough tie against Larissa.
Louis van Gaal says his players "are now in the history books" after AZ Alkmaar's 1-0 UEFA Cup win against Greek rivals Larissa FC saw them go a record 32 European home games unbeaten.

'Part of history'
Moussa Dembélé's 77th-minute goal boosted AZ's chances of reaching the knockout rounds from Group A, but more importantly, broke Ipswich Town FC's mark of 31 matches without defeat in UEFA competition. "I told my players before kick-off that this record is important," said Van Gaal. "Because we did not lose here, these players have become part of the history of AZ. They are in the history books of this club. That is something I am proud of, and the same goes for my players."

Three-decade run
The Dutch side's 32nd European home game since they made their continental debut with an 11-1 victory over FA Red Boys Differdange in 1977, was far from easy. The coach acknowledged as much, saying: "This is the best team we have faced this season, including [AFC] Ajax and PSV [Eindhoven]. But AZ played a very mature game and deserved the victory. In the end we were patient enough to decide it in the last 15 minutes."

Final defeat
Neither Ipswich nor Alkmaar have lost a home match in Europe, and while Manchester United FC went 56 games at Old Trafford without defeat from 1956, their unbeaten streak ended in 1996. AZ's record run comprises 27 UEFA Cup ties, two European Champion Clubs' Cup matches and three UEFA Cup Winners' Cup games. The likes of FC Barcelona, FC Internazionale Milano and Liverpool FC have all left Alkmaar without victories in the club's 30-year European history. AZ also won 4-2 against Ipswich in the second leg of the 1980/81 UEFA Cup final, having lost the first leg in England 3-0. AZ visit 1. FC Nürnberg in their next Group A fixture on 5 December.

Quote from Brian Barwick - the top man in the FA - in talking of his quest to find the new England Manager:

Brian Barwick said:
Jose Mourinho is the best candidate, he knows it, we know it, the whole world knows it!

Although Barwick has consulted Franz Beckenbauer, and Beckenbauer rates Jurgen Klinsman as the best candidate.

It will be interesting to see what they (The FA) eventually come up with.

Source

Don't forget:

The draw for Euro 2008 takes place on Sunday at 12.00 Central European Time. Tomorrow already! :)
UEFA EURO 2008™ draw seedings:

Pot/Team/Coefficient  

1 Switzerland (hosts) 1.800
1 Austria (hosts) 1.500
1 Greece (holders) 2.167
1 Netherlands 2.417

2 Croatia 2.409
2 Italy 2.364
2 Czech Republic 2.333
2 Sweden 2.273

3 Romania 2.250
3 Germany 2.250
3 Portugal 2.192
3 Spain 2.182

4 Poland 2.167
4 France 2.091
4 Turkey 1.958
4 Russia 1.958

*slowly recovering from shell shock*

ROAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

The Netherlands are in group C (Group of Death?, Group of Mass Destruction!) together with Italy, France & Romania! Personally, I can only imagine 2 countries which I fear as least as much.: Portugal & Croatia.

Italy is (together with Portugal) the country which has often meant the end to us. They are the current World Champions! First match will be against them. I fear the Italians the most. However, I also look forward to meet them, since a victory would taste very sweet!

France is a very strong country as well. Their qualification wasn't that great, but they might rise to bigger heights next year.

On television almost everyone says that it's better that we meet Romania instead of Spain, but I disgree. Romania has a strong team, comparable with Croatia, and they didn't win their qualification campaign for nothing. Spain I rate lower.

Man, this is heavy. Anyway, this will be so exciting!

Looking back at other "Dutch" groups of previous tournaments.:

EURO 2000
                     Pts   
Netherlands      9   
France             6
Czech Republic  3
Denmark           0

EURO 2004
                     Pts
Czech Republic  9
Netherlands      4
Germany          2
Latvia             1

WC2006
                               Pts
Argentina                   7
Netherlands                7
Côte d'Ivoire               3
Serbia and Montenegro 0

BTW, did you all realize that Germany did not win a single match at the European Championships since 1996?
So in 2008, they didn't win a single match in 12 years!!

From these groups, I see the bold countries going through:

Group A:
Switzerland
Czech Republic
Portugal
Turkey

Group B:
Austria
Croatia
Germany
Poland

Group C:
Holland
Italy
Romania
France

Group D:
Greece
Sweden
Spain
Russia

Forostar, I think Holland will be OK, France really aren't the team they were 5-10 years ago.
Group A, I think is a definite outcome.
Group B, Poland should just edge Croatia, Germany should have no trouble.
Group D, Spain couldn't have asked for an easier group, really, as one of the "big" footballing nations. If they'd been drawn with two of France, Italy and Holland, then I'd worry for them.

Forostar said:
BTW, did you all realize that Germany did not win a single match at the European Championships since 1996?
So in 2008, they didn't win a single match in 12 years!!
That really is quite amazing. I have a feeling that they will do well this time out though. I'd back them or italy to win it.

Welcome back in this topic!

I go for:

Group A:
Switzerland
Czech Republic
Portugal
Turkey

Playing home might help Switzerland, at least in the first round.

Group B:
Austria
Croatia
Germany
Poland

The Croatians have impressed me very much. The Germans haven't.

Group C:
Holland
Italy
Romania*
France

*I might be one of the few who won't be surprised when Romania goes through, though. They have as much chance as the others.

Group D:
Greece
Sweden
Spain
Russia

Russia (the only team that beat Greece at Euro2004) might finally get a stage further. Hiddink isn't the worst man to guide them.

Forostar said:
Welcome back in this topic!
Thanks.

One thing is for sure in this competition: the group make-up isn't as straightforward as previous tournaments. Three of the tournament's favourites in one group will certainly be interesting, and the winner of Group C could well be the overall winner. It's really too difficult at the moment to make predictions about the overall winner though; much will depend on form going into the tournament. Good results in friendlies leading up to the event could make a big difference.

On another note, it's the FA Cup 3rd Round draw very shortly, which is always a big occasion in England. I'd like QPR to draw Chelscum, but otherwise avoid any other Premier League side. ;)

It was funny seeing Raymond Domenech's face when he saw which group France was placed in  :D
But personally, I would like Holland and France to go through, although Italy are probably favourites to win the group. I just prefer France & Holland's style of play to Italy's. Romania can probably take a few points of the other three, and could very well decide who goes through.

national acrobat said:
On another note, it's the FA Cup 3rd Round draw very shortly, which is always a big occasion in England. I'd like QPR to draw Chelscum, but otherwise avoid any other Premier League side. ;)

FA Cup third round draw
Chelsea v QPR

I KNEW IT!! What a day that will be, beating Chelski in their garden shed. :yey: One downside, tickets are going to go all to season ticket holders. Still, it might be on BBC.

Tell me if I'm wrong, but the impression I had seeing the groups' composition is that you can always hesitate between 3 teams to go through.  All the groups are not at the same level, but each one will be very difficult.

But, for sure, the 'group of death' is definitely the Group C.  The Italy - France will certainly be the hardest match, just because it will be the last one in this group.  I wouldn't bet a penny on Romania just because the three other countries are used of final phases, so they know they'll have to defeat Romania.

supersonic said:
Romania can probably take a few points of the other three, and could very well decide who goes through.

Romania will be the Group C's stipendiary magistrate.

Stipendiary magistrate is the translation given by my dictionary of an expression that  wculd be translated by Judge of Peace or Peace Judge.

I agree with Forostar about Switzerland, there will be at least one of the 2 promoter countries in second round.  (I remember 2000 European Cup, France (B team) lost versus Netherlands in the last group match...)

national acrobat said:
I KNEW IT!! What a day that will be, beating Chelski in their garden shed. :yey: One downside, tickets are going to go all to season ticket holders. Still, it might be on BBC.
What a draw. Would that be funny to see Chelsea go out in the third round to their neighbours - from the Championship. :D

So, who did Southend get (assuming they see of Oxford in the replay)? A very glamorous tie with the league 2 team from down the other end of the A13 - Dagenham and Redbridge.

Albie said:
What a draw. Would that be funny to see Chelsea go out in the third round to their neighbours - from the Championship. :D

So, who did Southend get (assuming they see of Oxford in the replay)? A very glamorous tie with the league 2 team from down the other end of the A13 - Dagenham and Redbridge.

How I'd love to hear the QPR fans sing "two-niiiiil, to the Championship"! Hehe.

And Manchester United will play Aston Villa away. Hmm, tough match, but Villa is a team that United have used to beat the last years. Could've been worse. But I'd rather see United go out to Villa than Notts County or Cheltenham ... not to say Coventry.  :innocent:

P.S.: The Villa fans don't seem too optimistic about this:

http://www.villatalk.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=34530&postdays=0&postorder=asc

supersonic said:
It was funny seeing Raymond Domenech's face when he saw which group France was placed in  :D

Haha yes! I saw that. Looked like he was gasping for breath! At that moment only Holland was known.
I also liked the smile on Beenhakker's face when he heard that Poland will meet Germany. :)

Forostar said:
Group B:
Austria
Croatia
Germany
Poland

This will be my favourite group to watch and the Group of Death (C) will be my second favourite.  Here are some interesting stats from Group B.

Croatia vs Germany

Cup Results
World Cup
04.07.1998 qf Croatia 3-0 Germany (n)

European Championships
23.06.1996 qf Germany 2-1 Croatia (n)

Croatia has met neither Poland nor Austria on a grand scale.

Germany vs Poland

Cup Results
World Cup
14.06.2006 r1ga Germany 1-0 Poland

Germany has not met Austria in recent years.

Austria vs Poland

World Cup Europe
03.09.2005 qrg6 Poland 3-2 Austria
09.10.2004 qrg6 Austria 1-3 Poland

Here are some interesting stats for the Group of Death.

Last time Holland met Italy was in Euro 2000 and Italy won that match on penalties.  The two countries met a total of four times and they each won twice.

Holland vs France

Cup Results
World Cup Europe
18.11.1981 qrg2 France 2-0 Holland
25.03.1981 qrg2 Holland 1-0 France

European Championships
21.06.2000 r1gd Holland 3-2 France
22.06.1996 qf France 0-0 Holland (n) aet
(France won on penalties)

Another close race for Holland who is my favourite for this group.

Holland vs Romania

Cup Results
World Cup Europe
04.06.2005 qrg1 Holland 2-0 Romania
26.03.2005 qrg1 Romania 0-2 Holland

European Championships
13.10.2007 qrgg Romania 1-0 Holland
24.03.2007 qrgg Holland 0-0 Romania

Romania's stats here are getting better.

Cup Results
World Cup
09.07.2006 fn Italy 1-1 France (n) aet
(Italy won on penalties)
03.07.1998 qf France 0-0 Italy aet
(France won on penalties)
17.06.1986 r2 France 2-0 Italy (n)
02.06.1978 r1g1 Italy 2-1 France (n)
12.06.1938 qf France 1-3 Italy

European Championships
08.09.2007 qrgb Italy 0-0 France
06.09.2006 qrgb France 3-1 Italy
02.07.2000 fn France 2-1 Italy (n) aggl

This is a close race with France edging out Italy by a game.  I think Italy has a stronger team, but would it not be grand to see France take revenge upon Italy for World Cup 2006?

Italy has a far superior result in major tournaments than Romania, who has also not defeated France in the three times they met.

The funny thing is that Italy and France were in the same qualifying group as is true with Netherlands and Romania.

Here are the teams I'd like to win in each group.

Group A:
Switzerland
Czech Republic
Portugal

Turkey

One of my friends is Portugese so I gotta support his team.  I've always liked the Czechs, but they've been weak in World Cup 2006 probably due to injuries.  However, I think Switzerland will get through for the reason Forostar said -- they're at home.

Group B:
Austria
Croatia
Germany
Poland

I have Polish friends but I've liked the Germans since 1990.  I gotta go with them.  However, the Pols have played better but they do tend to mess up in major tournaments.  It should be interesting.  Austria would not have made it this far if they were not co-hosts, in my opinion.  Croatia is my favourite for obvious reasons.

Group C:
Holland
Italy
Romania
France

I expect Holland and Italy to make it through, however.

Group D:
Greece
Sweden
Spain
Russia

I will support the Russians because they were in the same group as Croatia.  Spain always dissapoints so I won't cheer for them and I'd like to see Greece de-throned.

Last but not least... Does anyone consider this comment from the Romania coach as brash or ignorant?

Victor Piţurcă, Romania coach
It is a very nice and easy group, with the world champions, the World Cup runners-up and Holland who we know very well. We hope it will be an extraordinary experience for us and why shouldn't we be one of the two teams to qualify?
  Source

Genghis Khan said:
However, the Pols have played better but they do tend to mess up in major tournaments. 

There's a new era for Poland now. Besides, it's not that they've always messed up. Don't forget their two(!) 3rd places at the World Cups in 1974 and 1982.

Genghis Khan said:
Last but not least... Does anyone consider this comment from the Romania coach as brash or ignorant?

Victor Piţurcă, Romania coach
It is a very nice and easy group, with the world champions, the World Cup runners-up and Holland who we know very well. We hope it will be an extraordinary experience for us and why shouldn't we be one of the two teams to qualify?
  Source

I think they misinterpretated his words. According to my info he said something like this (being not very serious, but rather funny):

"I'm very happy. We'll meet the world champons, the World Cup runners-up and the best team of the last three years in the qualifications. I wonder who we'll meet in the quarter finals!" Great feel of humour, if you ask me!  :)

edit:
Genghis Khan said:
I think Italy has a stronger team, but would it not be grand to see France take revenge upon Italy for World Cup 2006?

Uhh, yes, though I rather say this:
Would it not be grand to see France AND Holland take revenge upon Italy for World Cup 2006 and Euro 2000?
:p

Once you have the mentality of getting revenge for this defeat and that defeat in football, you just end up chasing shadows. When they meet, France should have the mind-set to just win - not revenge. :D

Back