Official Football Thread

Okay Foro, I'm not going to try and convince you with the village argument. I'm going to tell you something different though. As you know, Germany re-unified only fairly recently, in 1990. There are many football clubs in the east, long established that used to be highly successful and had strong supportive bases, in big cities like Dresden, Leipzig, Magdeburg, you name it. Please don't measure my words here, I don't know the details of every football club.
After re-unification, nearly each and every single one of those clubs broke down because nobody went to sponsor them. Nobody gave them money. They have no chance to rise because they have no money, because nobody gives them money. And then some rich entrepreneur pumps his money into a tiny village club somewhere in the southwest, where there are enough successful clubs for the locals to support. Because he wanted to. Because he had the money. Because he could. I never said that they are the richest club in Germany, but everything they have was given to them by that one sponsor.
That is infuriating for supporters of other clubs, mostly those in the east, who have to play in the second or third leagues because nobody will give them money. Following the reunification, only four clubs from the East (VfB Leipzig, Dynamo Dresden, Hansa Rostock and Energie Cottbus) ever managed to reach the first Bundesliga, and Dynamo Dresden and VfB Leipzig haven't been in for 15 years. Not because they suck so hard, but because they lack the money. They need those investments. They need those youth academies. Not a small village club that has never had any supporters outside of their village before they rose to success. There are thousands of village clubs in Germany. Every single tiny little village has one of those.
In the eyes of supporters of every football club other than Hoffenheim, what is happening is unfair. Do you understand that?

Sorry to learn there's so much envy but I do understand it, to a certain extent.

But I am not sure if this superplan would have worked in a city with a bigger club. A lot of changes would have happened. People would have been fired.

Perhaps this man had no heart for Eastern German clubs. He never explained the reasons for picking Hoffenheim? A village seemed a different kind of challange and/or perhaps he has some relation with Hoffenheim?

Forostar said:
Sorry to learn there's so much envy but I do understand it, to a certain extent.

It's not so much envy, it's mostly the feeling of being cheated.

But I am not sure if  this superplan would have worked in a city with a bigger club. A lot of changes would have happened. People would have been fired.

Nobody was certain that it would have worked with Hoffenheim. It would just have been fairer to invest in a bigger city. The entire state of Saxony, with more than four million people (it was more than five million in 1990...) and four major cities with more than 100 000 residents does not have one club in the first Bundesliga. If anything, they have the right for initial support.

Perhaps this man had no heart for Eastern German clubs. He never explained the reasons for picking Hoffenheim?

He played there as a kid.

Well, "cheated", there wasn't really a deal with this man.

And it simply doesn't work to say: Hey, you are the owner of all this money but the country (or we) will decide what you will do with it.

You can't expect an individual to be public property.

No, that's true. It's just that many people don't understand that a billionaire who wants to sponsor a football club because he feels like it and can afford it (Dietmar Hopp is listed on Forbes' list of the world's billionaires) should choose Hoffenheim over Dresden, Chemnitz or anything from a real city.

Perun, if I ever become a billionaire, I will sponsor a football club in an Eastern German city of your choice.

off-topic:
One day you really should tell me more about his dad (or your mother's dad) knowing one of my favourite directors.

national acrobat said:
Albie, what's your view on supporting English teams in Europe?
Personally, I tend to support just about any English club in Europe (with the exception of Arsenal of late) - and I would even cheer on Rangers (as you know - or if St Mirren ever qualified for Europe, then them also). In fact, the more home grown players in the side, the more I would cheer 'em on - as simple as that, really. But the thing is, I don't have any like or dislike for any team from mainland Europe and should, say, Real Madrid play Bayern Munich in the Champions League final, it would not bother me who won.

What does help for me, and in your case also, is that I don't support a Premier league side so I can sort of sit on the fence, mainly. But Arsenal grate me with their insistence on overlooking English players for foreign talent. I agree that some established English players are priced to high, but an 17 year old local lad is really not going to cost that much!

And don't forget the English players they had, didn't play, and then sold: off the top of my head, Matthew Upson, David Bentley, Jermaine Pennant, Steve Sidwell.

News from Norway: Egil "Drillo" Olsen has been offered the position as head coach for Norway for the entire WC qualification series (originally he was intended to have the position until a replacement was found).

I'm off to watch Aston Villa vs CSKA Moscow tonight, which should be a good game. CSKA were the only team with 100% record in the group stage and have already qualified for next year's Champions League (I think), and Villa are in good form. Holte Enders in the Sky!

national acrobat said:
I'm off to watch Aston Villa vs CSKA Moscow tonight, which should be a good game. CSKA were the only team with 100% record in the group stage and have already qualified for next year's Champions League (I think), and Villa are in good form. Holte Enders in the Sky!
Trouble with Villa this season is their home form. If they could re-produce what they do away from Villa Park - at Villa Park, they would be up there with Man U (or even ahead of 'em) - Villa have been outstanding on their travels thus far. So the 1-1 draw quite possibly suits them.

Did I not say earlier on that it would not surprise me to see Villa in the top four come the end of the season? :D

I would really like if Villa could catch 2nd behind United. Speaking of these two teams, I'm actually going to Manchester for the game between United and Villa in april  :D

And good to see good ol' Scholesy is still capable of producing a great game. His passing today was out of this world. My favourite United player under Ferguson.

Eddies Wingman said:
And good to see good ol' Scholesy is still capable of producing a great game. His passing today was out of this world. My favourite United player under Ferguson.

I don't follow football much anymore, but back when I was a kid I was heavily into it, and for some reason Paul Scholes was my favourite player. I remember when I went out to play with friends, everyone would say "I'm Ronaldo" or "I'm Dennis Bergkamp". I would say "I'm Paul Scholes"  ;)

And there is not a lot wrong with aspiring to be Scholes. One of England's best midfielders in aeons (or at least since Gascoigne).

Back