Official Football Thread

You'llbe glad to know that in 2021 it will be on for 2 or 3 weeks in June/July in China and will have 24 teams.
In terms of Arsenal, I doubt that fams will remember this incident when looking back at a decade or so of mediocrity.

Mikel Arteta is Arsenal's new manager. Happy with the decision, have high hopes for him.

I think it's going to be an inexperienced former Arsenal player. I'm thinking Mikel Arteta or Patrick Vieira.

Posted on 14 May 2018, with regard to Arsenal's manager search

At least Arteta would've been an ambitious hire. Hope for the best but it's a disappointing hire for sure.

Posted on 21 May 2018, with regard to Arsenal hiring Unai Emery

The delay that shouldn't have been.

You could argue it would've been more fair to forfeit the League Cup from the get go, when the schedules showed that there would be a collision between that and the Club World Cup. They were always going to prioritize the latter.

That being said, Liverpool did field a young starting XI in the game vs Arsenal too, with a few first team regulars. So it was clear they weren't giving top priority to the League Cup.

Now that you've predicted this, when will the next Iron Maiden album and Bruce Dickinson's solo album be released?

Both of them in 2020, Bruce solo in Spring, Maiden in Autumn.

Do bear in mind that I have not kept up with the news at all, this guess is nearly as educated as the guesses made by Paul the Octopus.

Guardiola's eyes are set on the Champions League, undoubtedly.

I think he leaves if they win it, and stays if they don't.

Manchester United fans after successive defeats to Liverpool and, of all teams, Burnley:

giphy.gif

Jurgen Klopp right now:

NLjr7x.gif

This Liverpool team might end up being the greatest team I've ever watched - but I'll reserve judgment until I see what they do in the Champions League.

I consider 2003-04 my starting point as regular viewer of football, and said title currently belongs to 2010-11 Barcelona. Followed by 2012-13 Bayern München and 2014-15 Barcelona.

They have to win it this year then. There's no way Pep Guardiola will stick around without Champions League football. It'll be difficult for them to attract top players too which will make it even harder to challenge Liverpool.

Watching Man Utd vs Club Brugge. A Brugge player throws himself, like a goalkeeper, and stops the ball with his hand. Penalty, red card, and he doesn't even protest.

Still, the VAR team prompts the referee to come to the sideline and watch video of the episode, delaying the penalty for two minutes. Considering the main gripe people have with VAR is that it kills the pace of the game, things like this should be unnecessary. Are the VAR team members just bored tonight and wanted some attention?

It poses many interesting and difficult questions. Every possible solution I can think of has its problems. In the premier league, Liverpool have it won already but what about relegation/promotion/European places? Lots to play for there. If they just scrap it all, no promotion, relegation, same clubs qualify for Europe as last season, Liverpool miss out massively. Would they give Liverpool the title but scrap everything else? Teams goin for promotion would like some of that treatment, I'm sure. The Euros add a big complication, too.
Say its all good to go by the start of next season, theres no way to play all postponed games if this suspension lasts more than 2 weeks. Unless they do like rugby do, the international guys go play for their country and the rest play for the clubs. Which may mean an average age of 13 in the match day squads of several Premier League teams. Or play a game every 2 day, Blitz the fuck out of it. Could be fun.

A good option would be to suspend all the leagues in Europe for a couple of months and get them finished in summer with Euro 2020 postponed for a year. It would make pre-season pretty tight and would mess with the Champions League and UEFA Cup qualifying rounds a bit but this way everyone gets to play in front of crowds and all the matches take place.

Back