Official Football Thread

Liverpool are going to win the league this time. They win even when they are playing like shit, and this time around City aren't keeping up.

In other news, the skiing season in Norway is well underway and we still have two weeks of football to be played ... the Norwegian top division finishes next Sunday and the cup final is one week after that! When I first got into football, the Norwegian cup final was typically played on the last Sunday of ... October.

In terms of a North vs South Deathmatch; I cant remember another time when I, as a Republic fan, was worried about playin the North but now I am, a bit. I hope it happens, though, havent had a good riot in ages.
If Northern Ireland defend like they did against Germany and the Republic continue to be terrible at scoring then it could end up being the most shambolic football match of all time. I remember the last time they played - about ten years ago in some Four Nations tournament - and the Republic won 5-0. Sadly Robbie Keane is not available anymore.
Winner takes all, we win, a United Ireland. We lose we rejoin the new Brexit empire and James McClean has to wear the poppy.
I was going to suggest something like that. In addition Alan Mannus would have to sing the national anthem solo at the official reunification ceremony, but if the North win then Arlene Foster will become Supreme Governor of the Irish Province of the Brexit Empire. Either way it's a United Ireland and no border issues, so it's a win-win really. :S
Liverpool are going to win the league this time. They win even when they are playing like shit, and this time around City aren't keeping up.
I'm not so sure. Liverpool have a lot of games coming up due to the Club World Cup, League Cup and general Christmas football period. They had a significant lead around Christmas last season and then slipped up just enough for a faultless Manchester City to get back ahead until the end. Plus Leicester City are back. I wouldn't count my chickens just yet.

It's being increasingly rumoured that Nuno Espirito Santo is favourite for the Arsenal job if Emery goes. I really hope he won't go, but I don't see why he would - he surely feels far more at home here at Wolves with the mostly Portuguese squad.

Braga away tomorrow, hoping to qualify for the knockout stages of Europa

Euro 2020 draw today. England got Croatia, Czechs and play off C winner (Norway, Serbia, Israel or Scotland). Sounds pretty good to me.

Group F has France, Germany and Portugal though! :oops:

So there's a potential for an England vs. Scotland or Croatia vs. Serbia Deathmatch.

pcdC8Br.gif

Italy, Switzerland and Wales for Turkey in Group A. Good draw with regard to the opponents, but landing in Group A is especially a big deal because that means Turkey will get to play two of their matches in Baku, Azerbaijan. Makes them the home team in those fixtures, basically.

Turkey is just about the only country, with the possible exception of Russia, who would be satisfied with matches in Baku. What a ridiculous place to host tournament matches and finals.

The entire "let's host the tournament in a gazillion places" thing is ridiculous anyway. It made the draw ridiculously complicated as well.

UEFA and FIFA seem quite taken by a feeling of "progress for progress' sake" these days. If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

After yesterday's games in the EPL, someone commented: "Since Everton last won at Anfield, Blackpool have climbed from League Two to the Premier League, won at Anfield, and dropped back to League Two" :innocent:

Just hope Liverpool lose a game soon. Arsenal fans were pretty unbearable for some time after 2004, I don't want to imagine how Liverpool fans will be if they go unbeaten for the full season.

Just hope Liverpool lose a game soon. Arsenal fans were pretty unbearable for some time after 2004, I don't want to imagine how Liverpool fans will be if they go unbeaten for the full season.
Like I said a few posts ago, Liverpool have a very busy schedule coming up over the next few weeks so things could go tits up for them soon. At Christmas last year they were in a seemingly unassailable position but then had a couple of poor results and couldn't overhaul a flawless Manchester City. Anyway, I'm sure Manchester United fans were not remotely smug during that club's dominant years.

Everton have finally put Marco Silva out of his misery. Duncan Ferguson will take charge on Saturday against whoever they're playing. Is he the first convicted criminal to coach a Premier League first team?

I can't believe that Manchester City are fourteen points behind after sixteen games. Astonishing. Leicester can get back to eight points behind Liverpool if they beat Aston Villa tomorrow.

If Liverpool throw the league away with this advantage then it will surely be the biggest failure in the history of failures - probably ever, but definitely in history. They do have eight matches in the next month, including two in two days thanks to a clash between the League Cup quarter final and the World Club Cup. I think they're going to split the squad for that one, which means playing the kids in the League Cup. It's going to be a tough festive period for them which could be the difference between them winning six trophies this season or just one (the Community Shield which they've already got).

Back