Official Football Thread

Watching now the big derby Rangers - Celtic

But at the start of the match (before the line-ups were shown) something really grabbed my attention - the Rangers fans revealed a banner with Trooper Eddie on it !!! The cameras showed it just for a few seconds. Can someone find it, please.

Wow, very unexpected. :lol:

the Rangers fans revealed a banner with Trooper Eddie on it !!

I assume you mean this, Kal? I didn't think that Rangers fans have much interest in or knowledge of Iron Maiden - but srfc's post shows otherwise. Rangers fans have gone up in my estimation now. The imagery is associated with wall murals in Northern Ireland where one mural in particular is based on 'The Trooper' artwork:

Some lovely people in Northern Ireland...

Wow, very unexpected. :lol:

I assume you mean this, Kal? I didn't think that Rangers fans have much interest in or knowledge of Iron Maiden - but srfc's post shows otherwise. Rangers fans have gone up in my estimation now. The imagery is associated with wall murals in Northern Ireland where one mural in particular is based on 'The Trooper' artwork:

View attachment 10299

Some lovely people in Northern Ireland...

I think there's one with better artwork somewhere else as well

EDIT: https://cain.ulster.ac.uk/bibdbs/murals/slide4.htm

EDIT 2: here's a page with info on a few others https://petermoloneycollection.wordpress.com/eddie-the-trooper/

Last edited:
Great North London Derby. Deserved a better result after absolutely dominating Spurs in the 2nd half.

Also, can Xhaka and Mkhitaryan please fuck off? They can take Sokratis with them, too.

Lacazette should be captain, Auba after him, as they are the best players in the team.

I think their best lineup would be:

Leno
Bellerin Chambers Sokratis Tierney
Guendouzi Torreira Ceballos
Pepe Lacazette Auba

With a giant question mark in defence with Chambers playing decently in midfield all of last season and both fullbacks injured.

Agreed almost 100% on that lineup, except I'd put David Luiz in there instead of Chambers. He's unreliable, but his long ball playing ability is important to put the attackers into good positions.

Agreed on the Lacazette pick for captain as well. He's always the one accommodating the new signings, too. Already more suited to the captain role than Xhaka is. Xhaka acts like a hard ass, but it's all style without substance.

Make sure and wear a stab vest!

I went to see Blaze in the Rosetta about 15 years ago, was staying in a b+b nearby. Brought a bag with me that had a small tricolour on it, never even gave it a second thought. The b+b owner took me aside for a quite word just after checking in and let me know that maybe it would be a good idea to make sure to leave that bag in the room.

Back