Official Football Thread

Hate? I hoped they would win ... they are coached by a former Man United player and all ... and it would be nice to see a new team in the final. The USA have been there plenty of times.

All three of my teams have gone out. Goshdarnit.

I will pull for the Dutch, since the Americans have done a full heel turn this tournament.

México is back in the Gold Cup final after barely beating Haiti. Horrible showing. Looking forward to the women's final on Sunday more than the gold cup.

A lot of non-football news coming from the US team as they are suing for equal pay for equal work. Don't know how equal it is as they far surpass their men counterparts in terms of international success, but lack the fame and revenue.

A lot of non-football news coming from the US team as they are suing for equal pay for equal work.

Nonsensical, in my opinion. It's not equal work. The money in sports doesn't fall from the sky, it comes from the interest people show in the game. Men's football is one of the biggest entertainment products there is, women's football, not so much.

People's interest in the game has nothing to do with the "work" the athletes themselves do. They both kick a ball around. And again, when it comes to RESULTS, at least the women's team in the U.S has much more quantifiable success than the men.

What I would argue as far as "equal work" goes, and how it isn't equal is the level of competition. The U.S women's team is a big fish in a small pond. Not unlike Mexico used to be in CONCACAF when playing teams like Trinidad and Tobago, Honduras, Haiti, Costa Rica and even the U.S were easy victories. Now, however, with these teams investing in their teams and programs, they have caught up and give us a run for our money and on several ocassions, beat us outright. As you pointed out, MEN'S football gets all the attention therefore most of the money, in poor countries or simply in countries lacking the U.S's spending power, where the men's team gets little money (like Mexico, Haiti, Honduras, etc.) the women's team gets even less. I've seen many games of the U.S team play and on some ocassions it looks like their playing against school girls, not women, much less competitive peers.

Compete level aside there is the fact that women's soccer is not as physical as men's. Men's soccer is rough, dirty, with jabs and elbows and kicks to the shin. Women's soccer is much more open, more finesse, they as if they respected boundaries and personal space. So the style is different. I liken it to the difference between North American Hockey and European Hockey. There is a reason the Stanley Cup is the most coveted price and the physical grind it takes to get it is a big part of that.

THAT would be my argument as there not really being "equal work," popularity of the sport aside.

Supply and demand determines value, not labor.

Male athletes get paid more because a larger number of people think male athletes provide higher quality of entertainment and show up/tune in to watch them perform, which makes the ticket prices, TV deals and endorsement deals larger, which makes the qualified workers more valuable in the market.

More power to female athletes for the work they put in, but they are not entitled to equal payment here. Female volleyball players get paid more than male volleyball players because there are more people watching women's volleyball than men's, it's the same story here just with the genders reversed.

Lionel Messi was sent off for the first time in 14 years in the Copa America 3rd place match against Chile and responded by claiming that the competition is "corrupt" and rigged for Brazil to win. He really loses all his composure and dignity when it comes to international football doesn't he?

With the Women's World Cup Final about to start, the big question on everybody's lips is "If the US win, will Megan Rapinoe accept an invitation to the White House"?

I think most people who aren't American are cheering for the Dutch. The Americans have been the heel this entire tournament.

Great home win for my team tonight, 2-1 against an Apollon Limassol team who beat Lazio and Marseille last season, looking forward to the trip to Cyprus next week, hopefully finish the job.

I have Liverpool in Last Man Standing at work so I am sort of pleased at the current score line but I would rather see a decent match, £5 be damned.

We shall give them that. Anfield has the atmosphere of a friendly at this stage. Lets hope for a couple of early Norwich goals in the second half. 10-2 is my final score prediction.

Back