Official Football Thread

On the contrary, EPL is a league that gives out even more chances to counter attack. Even the weak teams can counter. Besides, Lahm-Boateng-Dante-Alaba is definitely a better defensive lineup than Janmaat-Jones-Hummels-Shaw.

In which teams did Strootman have a defensive midfielder behind/with him? How does it go in Roma?

He plays with Daniele De Rossi. One of the best defensive midfielders in the game.

Would Van Gaal use Strootman in a different way from how he was used last season (Roma and Netherlands)?
Probably he'll build Man U around Strootman.

I haven't seen them play much but when they faced us in the qualifiers, think it was Daley Blind.

Then who was the defensive midfielder in Oranje? (when they still played 4-3-3)

When was that, can't quite remember. But they did play Nigel de Jong as the defensive midfielder in 2010 World Cup.

Rumors say Javier Mascherano wants to leave Barcelona because he wants to play in the midfield again. Might be a good target for United.

Remember Bebé?

230px-Bébé.jpg

He scored 12 goals in Portuguese league this season, played for Paços Ferreira.

Bebe had a loan contract here with Beşiktaş actually, but he was out for the season after just a couple of games. Paços Ferreira competed in the Champions League qualifiers a couple of years back.

Didn't Spain use a line up with no strikers and used midfielders as their offense during the World Cup or Euro Cup and won the tournament anyways? I remember the strikers coming as subs during the second half of games but never starting. Just don't remember which tournament they did it in

Llorente is not that good. I don't think it was because of the lack of quality of their strikers, it was just a decision. They'll probably drop it after getting embarrased by Brazil in Confederations Cup and start Diego Costa.

No he's not. Playing with Fabregas as False 9 was a much better decision than putting Llorente in front. It worked at the time. Llorente is pretty much a terrible fit with Spain's playing style, he's a pivot striker that finds most success in headers. Spanish team never crosses the ball, they needed a player that can operate the passing channels himself.

My point is that a proper centre forward gives Spain another option. The pass-pass-pass tactic works eventually but it would be much more efficient to play with a striker and cross the ball now and again.

Now, yes. Then, not really. Noone had figured out the way to beat tiki-taka until Bayern annihilated Barça by applying pure team pressure and fast attacking. Brazil applied the same against Spain and they won 3-0. Spain obviously will look for a change in their strategy now. And if they don't, they're not winning it all this time.

Back