Official Football Thread

No one had figured out the way to beat tiki-taka until Bayern annihilated Barça by applying pure team pressure and fast attacking.
I think Liverpool did it to Barcelona in the Champions League a few years ago. That was pre-Guardiola, but it was still known as a way to counter possession football.

Spain obviously will look for a change in their strategy now.
Finger crossed. :yawn:

I think Liverpool did it to Barcelona in the Champions League a few years ago. That was pre-Guardiola, but it was still known as a way to counter possession football.

You're not thinking about the 2000-01 UEFA Cup, where Michael Owen was the only Liverpool player to cross the half-way line throughout most of the match?

More players on a board.
http://nos.nl/wk2014/video/649598-adriaanse-532-goed-voor-sneijder.html
Co Adriaanse explains why the 5-3-2 system is beneficial for Sneijders' position in the squad. Unfortunately in Dutch but still not uninteresting to watch.

The point is that Sneijder is not (or hardly or way less) vulnerable when defending, compared to e.g. 4-3-3.

From 2.25: 4-3-3
Sneijder more vulnerable.

Sounds like Flash talking about Man U and other elite teams. :)

Last edited:
I don't like the idea of playing Robben as a striker. 4-2-3-1 definitely should be the way to go for Oranje. I'd field this one:

1000038_Holland.jpg

Strootman's injury might be the deciding factor in Netherlands' failure to get to the latter stages.

I trust your judgement then :p Either way, I only meant it in case of an emergency, as in chasing the other team's lead.

How about a new World Cup thread? I think there was one for European championship.

You're not thinking about the 2000-01 UEFA Cup, where Michael Owen was the only Liverpool player to cross the half-way line throughout most of the match?
No idea. I remember reading something about Liverpool successfully pressing Barcelona a few years ago. That UEFA Cup match is a bit earlier than I expected though as I doubt any of the current squad would have been there.

No idea. I remember reading something about Liverpool successfully pressing Barcelona a few years ago. That UEFA Cup match is a bit earlier than I expected though as I doubt any of the current squad would have been there.

Well, Liverpool did beat Barcelona in the knockout rounds in 2007, but I can't remember how that match was (I didn't watch it). Facts are that Liverpool won the away leg 2-1 before losing 0-1 at home, going through on away goals.

I would think if you read about Liverpool parking the bus, it was during the 2001 match, because that was an extreme example.

Yaya Toure will stay at City if they give him a coach or director role when he finishes his career #attentionwhore #butthurt

Poor guy :D He's rumoured to replace Neil Lennon at Celtic btw.
There would be no point in David Moyes becoming the Celtic manager as it would be a massive step backwards for him. Sure, he'd finally get to win something as a manager and would have a shot at reaching the Champions League group stages, but he'd be wasted at Celtic. I doubt they'd want to pay his wages either.

Whoever gets that job has an easy first two seasons unless they're completely incompetent.

Back