Official Football Thread

Podolski left back :D

But seriously, this is so weird. Either we didn't see something, or the ref sent off the wrong man. This is surely a mistake that would require a rematch.

There was a sending-off offense there (the handball), so a red was probably warranted. The wrong man got the card.

I think Arsenal have to demand the rematch in order for the FA to consider it.

I'm of course not taking the bet - I don't think there will be a rematch. I don't even think Arsenal want to mention the possibility to demand one, because:

- They were already 2-0 down
- Even if the right man had been sent off, they would still be 3-0 down with 10 men.

Last edited:
No reason for a rematch.

Game changing mistakes can happen all the time (penalty, goal disallowed).

I remember elsewhere when a player was sent off while receiving the first yellow card, and FIFA refused any rematch. Ref decisions are irreversible during the game, but later some of them can be changed (like cleaning one bad yellow card or one bad red).

Well, you know what they say. Every time a FIFA ref blows a call, an angel gets his wings.

That's the only explanation I can come up with for why they haven't instituted video review.

Remember the goal in Germany this season that went in through a hole in the net? Rematches don't happen.

I think the problem with video reviews is that you open up a can of worms once it's brought in. I think it's fine using technology for goals but it should stop there. I don't want football to end up like American sports with no proper flow to the match.

We have the technology that a ref can have a smartphone in his pocket, pull it out and see the review there, and then make a final decision after the whistle is blown - if he intends to blow the handball anyway.

Totally agree with you, Wizard. I remember in the 1990's there was an experiment in some Youth World Cup, i don't remember which one, when FIFA implemented... timeouts. It was awful.

We have the technology that a ref can have a smartphone in his pocket, pull it out and see the review there, and then make a final decision after the whistle is blown - if he intends to blow the handball anyway.
That might be ok, but the rules of football are somewhat ambiguous so whatever happens a referee will always be criticized. Then if the ref blows for handball and checks on his smartphone he might see that there was no handball and the flow of the match will be distrupted.

Totally agree with you, Wizard. I remember in the 1990's there was an experiment in some Youth World Cup, i don't remember which one, when FIFA implemented... timeouts. It was awful.
That must have been awful. I hadn't heard of it before though. FIFA have done a good job of keeping it quiet. :lol:

BjVhWS3CAAAeOiU.png

On Tuesday they eliminate my local team from Champions League, on Saturday they crush my 2nd favorite team 6-0. Gotta give them credit, but hell.

Oxlade-Chamberlain's save yesterday was really good actually. Perhaps he'd have done better in goal. It was a somewhat ignominious 1000th game for Wenger though. Hopefully they don't just limp towards the end of the season now. Fourth place and the FA Cup is still a great season.

How are you feeling about Tuesday @Dr. Eddies Wingman ? Rooney vs. Demichelis.

Back