Official Football Thread

Draw wishes?

Atletico - Man Utd (Go MU)
Barcelona - Bayern (Fuck Barca)
Chelsea - Real Madrid (Fuck Real)
Borussia - PSG (Go Ibra)

I expect Chelsea and Barcelona to meet at some point. Those two always play in the Champions League. Usually quiet affairs. :innocent:

The other seven teams in the draw will be happy to face Manchester United though.

United playing well under pressure? Dafuq happened?

I'd say Bayern and the two Spanish big guns are one step above the rest, so I'd like United to avoid them in the quarters. Against the other teams I'd say it's 50/50. Remember the away game against Olympiakos is the only CL game this season where United have actually been poor.

This United team is obviously not good enough to win the CL in style. But a fluky win like Chelsea in 2012 could of course happen ...

A lot of the time a goalkeeper is only as good as the defenders in front of him as well and Manchester United's centre backs haven't exactly been performing at Champions League winning levels this season. The midfield isn't good enough to protect the defence or dominate the ball though.

I'd say Bayern and the two Spanish big guns are one step above the rest

I think Bayern and Real are the leaders of the remaining group, with Barcelona trailing back ahead of the rest. I don't see Barça as that big of a threat this season, but Bayern and Real look very dominant.

QF 1: Barcelona(ESP) v Atlético(ESP)
QF 2: Real Madrid(ESP) v Dortmund(GER)
QF 3: Paris(FRA) v Chelsea(ENG)
QF 4: Man. United(ENG) v Bayern(GER)

david-moyes-facepalm.gif

To make matters worse for United, Evra is suspended from the first leg, meaning Büttner will go against Robben :D

Great matchups.

Barcelona vs Atlético : Won't be as easy as people might think. Atlético play very well against Barcelona because their playing style is a great match for Barça. Atlético play off the ball, most of the time the opponent dictates the position but Atlético play great team defense and use counter attacks to score goals. If they manage to lock Barça up, they might get lucky.

Real vs Dortmund : These teams are nowhere close to what they were when they faced up in last year's semifinals. Real look very dominant and Dortmund have lost some key pieces. Should be fun to watch but I expect Real to go through with ease.

PSG vs Chelsea : Now this one has the potential to be the best matchup. Chelsea play very well on their home, they play some intense defense and dictate the tempo. On the other hand, Paris Saint-Germain has a much better attacking line with Ibrahimovic, Cavani and Lavezzi. I think this one all comes down to the game in France, should Paris get a clear result, they'll run out as winners.

United vs Bayern : Easy one. United's weak midfield will look ridiculous against Bayern's passing and tenacity.

To make matters worse for United, Evra is suspended from the first leg, meaning Büttner will go against Robben :D

Will be nasty.

Tough draw for Man Utd of course, winning will require the performance of the season from the whole team - twice. Not impossible, but I'm afraid señor De Gea will have to work hard!

Back