Official Football Thread

... and Norway of course followed up the win with a truly crappy performance. I can only congratulate Switzerland. They have had their revenge for the 1998 World Cup Qualifiers. If Norway can get 2nd place in the group now, it will probably be as the worst of the 2nd placed teams.

Galatasaray has now drawn their latest three games in the league. Only 6 points in 4 games, only 4 goals scored. And we think we can match Real and Juve in the group stage? Ridiculous.

Ajax plays the group of death. Up next: Barcelona!

I'd say the group of death is Arsenal, Borussia Dortmund, Napoli and Olympique Marseille. Every team has a chance.

But when it comes to team history, obviously no group beats Barcelona, Milan, Ajax and Celtic group.

Yeah, I'm sure many people including me had near heart attacks on several occasions in that tournament. Turkey are an exciting team who finds success in every tournament they appear in but that's the thing, we can't get past qualification stages.

Euro 2000 - Quarter Finals
World Cup 2002 - 3rd Place
Euro 2004 - Didn't qualify
World Cup 2006 - Didn't qualify
Euro 2008 - Semi Finals
World Cup 2010 - Didn't qualify
Euro 2012 - Didn't qualify

Watching Real Madrid vs. Villareal.
Playing
Bale-Isco-Ronaldo
Benzema​
just doesn't work because Bale isn't as good on the right.
It should be either:
Ronaldo-Isco-Bale
Benzema​
or
Di María-Isco-Ronaldo
Bale​
or
Di María-Isco-Bale
Ronaldo​

Ronaldo is more capable than Bale to play on the right, at least. But he's better as left winger. Just my two cents, I hate Real Madrid.

Ronaldo being better on the left all comes down to him disliking playing on the right, I think. Ronaldo is right footed, he should be more suited to play on the right. He was very good at Manchester playing on the right with Giggs playing on the left.

So today, even though it sounds remarkable, it's going to happen finally: the first official match between Barcelona and Ajax!

These teams have a history together though. Famous Ajax players played later for Barca -Johan Cruyff being the most legendary- and there were several friendly matches. But never in Europe-Cup environment.

But when it comes to team history, obviously no group beats Barcelona, Milan, Ajax and Celtic group.
In terms of iconic football strips yes, but I think that Celtic's history is often overstated by their fans and the Scottish media. The club won the European Cup in 1967 and lost the 1970 final but in contemporary football their history doesn't match up to that of the other three clubs in their group.

In terms of iconic football strips yes, but I think that Celtic's history is often overstated by their fans and the Scottish media. The club won the European Cup in 1967 and lost the 1970 final but in contemporary football their history doesn't match up to that of the other three clubs in their group.

Yeah, definitely but there was no team on the 4th pot with a richer history than Celtic, so.

You've probably got to give them that Black Wizard? I broadly agree with what you said though; it's the same with the Gers 50 championships thing. That said, many (great) clubs have done very little in recent times.

So today, even though it sounds remarkable, it's going to happen finally: the first official match between Barcelona and Ajax!

These teams have a history together though. Famous Ajax players played later for Barca -Johan Cruyff being the most legendary- and there were several friendly matches. But never in Europe-Cup environment.

It is also worth mentioning that Cruyff later managed Barcelona to their first title in the European Cup (1992), and is largely responsible for bringing to Barcelona the type of footballing philosophy they have been so successful with for the last six-seven years.

Back