English Super Cup : 1993,1994,1996
Champions League : 1999
World Cup : 1999

Spanish champion : 2007
Spanish Super Cup : 2003
American champion : 2011,2012
French champion : 2013

A record of caps for England: 115

Farewell to the player with one of the best kicking techniques.
Loved his cross pass!

(nice 1-2 with Giggs!)

Last Sunday Mark van Bommel announced that he will stop playing football. This is what he did on his last training, yesterday:

Atletico Madrid wins the Copa del Rey over Real Madrid, 2-1. Mourinho sent to the stands and Ronaldo shown a straight red. While I'm delighted that Real Madrid will have won no titles this season and that Mourinho (probably) finishes his career in Spain on a low, that game was exceedingly full of the worst things about soccer. And by that I mean dives and over-dramatizations. There needs to be a crackdown on this kind of thing. It ruins the game.

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/laliga

So apparently Allegri won't be AC Milan coach next season. He's supposed to be replaced by Clarence Seedorf. If it's true, Seedorf will become only the second black coach in Serie A history.

Paolo Maldini would be his assistant. Galliani wants to keep Allegri, Berlusconi wants to fire him. Other candidates for the spot are Fillipo Inzaghi and Mark Van Bommel.

I didn't think for a second that it wouldn't be so good, a great Champions League final ended with the game winning late goal scored by Arjen Robben, the man who missed a crucial penalty in extra time against Chelsea last year, and championship for the best side of European football this year : Bayern München. Congrats to both teams for the great football display.

I'm a bit sad for Borussia, but Bayern is cool too. At least the champion isn't any of the scumbag Spanish clubs or Russian/Arab toy clubs.

What EW said. Feels pretty weird that Dortmund are losing two of their best players to Bayern of all places next year. ;)

Remember the Fenerbahçe fans' racist behaviour I wrote about? Well the outcome is clear : No fine. No fine to the club nor the fans. Go figure.

By the way, as much as I hate this Arabian/Russian embargo on the football transfer market, it does help to build up the excitement. In the last glorious days of football (ending in about 2004 or so) there were so many superpower teams in Europe. Real Madrid, Barcelona, Valencia, Deportivo, Juventus, Milan, Inter, Roma, Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle, Bayern München, Borussia Dortmund were all candidates to win it all. In the next following year, the count of contenders started to fall and it saw a disturbance two years ago where everyone expected Barcelona or Real Madrid to win and it was all that was talked about regarding to European football. This financial juxtaposition of teams may be interpreted as an attack to the soul of the game, but it does help to create new superpower teams. I honestly have no idea who'll get the Champions League crown next year. Bayern München, Barcelona, Real Madrid, Manchester United, Chelsea, Manchester City, Paris Saint Germain are coming strong and a new candidate for superpowerness, Monaco is splashing the market.

And the most fun thing is, many people root against these financially strong teams, looking from a certain perspective to almost every big Champions League game they watch. That builds up the excitement. And every time, a modest team comes through and battles with the giants. I talked about the superpowers of season 2003-2004 and if you remember in that year the Champions League Final was played between two modest teams : FC Porto and AS Monaco. This year Borussia Dortmund made it to the final.

I'm excited about the new view European football is gaining.

Mourinho has officially returned to Chelsea.
2uge4p4.gif

Back