Official Football Thread

:eek: Pierre van Hooijdonk shows he still can take the free kick! This was yesterday during the traditional match between ex-internationals vs the Royal HFC (De amateur club won with 4-3).

He had a big hand in Feyenoord winning the UEFA cup in 2002.

This free kick (in that same UEFA campaign) is still the most awesome one I've seen:
What an angle! Great slo-mo replay!

I remember Feyenoord winning the UEFA Cup. van Hooijdonk scored a free-kick goal against Real Madrid in the Super Cup the following season, if I'm not mistaken, I think I saw that game live.

f75c5831162f58259946e0661fdc1dc9.gif

I was just checking out Liverpool's transfers in the past couple of seasons. Worst managed budget ever ?

2012-2013 : Total £40,000,000 spent, no top quality players, three players overpaid.

- Joe Allen - £15,000,000
- Daniel Sturridge - £12,000,000
- Fabio Borini - £10,500,000
- Oussama Assaidi - £2,500,000

2011-2012 : Total £53,750,000 spent, no top quality players, one massively overpaid (Downing) and three overpaid players. One could argue that Henderson has a bright future, but considering a potential like Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain worth £12,000,000 for Arsenal, that's too much.

- Jordan Henderson - £20,000,000
- Stewart Downing - £20,000,000
- Charlie Adam - £6,750,000
- Jose Enrique - £7,000,000

2010-2011 : Total £82,850,000 spent, only one top quality player (Suarez), fine moves in Meireles, Wilson and Shelvey, completely ridiculous transfers in Poulsen, Konchesky and Jones (what was the need) and quite a candidate for the worst transfer ever : Andy Carroll.

- Andy Carroll - £35,000,000
- Luis Suarez - £22,800,000
- Raul Meireles - £11,500,000
- Christian Poulsen - £4,500,000
- Paul Konchesky - £3,000,000
- Brad Jones - £2,300,000
- Danny Wilson - £2,000,000
- Jonjo Shelvey - £1,750,000

Overall : £176,600,000 spent, only gaining one top quality player.

In the Premiership, only Newcastle can compete with Liverpool in terms of spending big on mid-table quality players :D Compare their net transfer spend to Arsenal's and consider that a few years ago, Liverpool and Arsenal were probably equally good! Also, Liverpool's net spend is mitigated by the incredible money Chelsea paid for Torres.

Not really, Torres = Andy Carroll + Raul Meireles + Christian Poulsen, what about the rest of the crap ? :D

And leave that do the side, Liverpool actually helps other teams with ridiculous spends. Buying Joe Allen for 15M helped Swansea to get quality players like Michu and Pablo Hernandez. Same applies with Newcastle's success last year and the latest one, Daniel Sturridge's transfer helped Chelsea to land Demba Ba with ease.

Mitigated, not eliminated :D My point was, £50 million for Torres makes the numbers look less bad.

But the only reason why they got that much for him, was that Roman A was desperate to get him at the time, it wasn't about any sort of clever sales strategy from Liverpool's side. And they immediately compensated for it anyway, by spending more than half of the money on Carroll!

OK, this guy was really pissed off after his red card. So much that he quite injured himself (bloody) in the catacombs.
Hear with sound of the breaking window @ 0.25

No offence to Galatasaray, but I don't understand why he chose them over Manchester United or Liverpool...

Well, for Liverpool I can understand it. Galatasaray play in the Champions League, Liverpool do not. As for Man United, I haven't heard that they've shown any concrete interest, and definitely not come with a bid. Do any of you happen to know which other clubs, if any, had offered Sneijder a contract?

He himself was hoping for an English or Spanish club (I guess before Galatasaray was in the picture, or when such clubs were out of the picture ;-).

Back