Official Football Thread

Mario Balotelli scores both goals for Milan on his debut -> Milan - Udinese 2:1. His second goal being a last second penalty :okok:

Holland - Italy: 70th minute:
1-0!

Interesting fact: Van Gaal has put this on the field: the youngest team in almost 100 years.

edit: ai, 1-1 in extra time. But not bad vs the no. 2 of last year's European Championship.

Aand we continue to play older, worthless players in friendly matches. No youngsters. This national team is not going anywhere.

Milan slaughters Barca :applause:

Didn't see that coming. With Messi having one of his rare off-days, Milan's disciplined defense were able to keep Barcelona from creating as much as one clear-cut scoring opportunity. In fact, the best opportunity the Catalans created was Puyol's header late in the 2nd half. I can only remember two defensive displays agaisnt them that come close. Inter's in 2010 and Man Utd's in the 2008 semi-final. And Milan's 2-0 goal was a beauty as well.
Impressive. Most impressive.

We had a draw with Schalke (1-1) at home in the first leg, so they have the away goal advantage. Hopefully we'll get through. Burak Yılmaz scored his 7th goal btw, again becoming the leading goalscorer.

I can only remember two defensive displays agaisnt them that come close. Inter's in 2010 and Man Utd's in the 2008 semi-final..
Impressive. Most impressive.
If I remember correctly, Barcelona were pretty benign in that semi-final. It was the end of Frank Rijkaard's (sp?) time in charge of the club and it wasn't working anymore. In the second leg Barca just passed the ball in front of the penalty area without even trying to score. I didn't see much of the match the other day but they can't have been that bad surely?

Check out this hilarious goal we conceded yesterday :

If we didn't come back from 0-2 down to 4-2 in the second half, I probably wouldn't have used the word "hilarious" to describe it. :p

If I remember correctly, Barcelona were pretty benign in that semi-final. It was the end of Frank Rijkaard's (sp?) time in charge of the club and it wasn't working anymore. In the second leg Barca just passed the ball in front of the penalty area without even trying to score. I didn't see much of the match the other day but they can't have been that bad surely?

They were that bad. They created just as much as they did at Old Trafford in 2008. When Messi and Iniesta are both having an off-day, they don't really have a plan B to break down well-organized defenses. They sure don't look as solid as they did in the CL two years ago. Their last league match (2-1 win against Sevilla) and the cup defeat against RM on Tuesday show that they are not in great form. But the team has got so much class that if they play to their best abilities, I wouldn't put it past them to beat Milan by three goals.

And will Rafa Benitez a.k.a. Fat Spanish Waiter keep his job until the end of the season?

And will Rafa Benitez a.k.a. Fat Spanish Waiter keep his job until the end of the season?
Probably yes. After that, they'll bring in a young and perspective manager, who will soon be sacked (like AVB and RDM) and replaced with an old guy who changed thousand clubs (like Rafa, Hiddink, Scolari). I don't think Abramovich will bring back Mourinho, so far not one manager returned to Chelsea after being sacked by him.

No. I think (and hope) he will be kicked out before the end of the season. Even if that doesn't happen, he'll leave in the summer. Why? I don't even know where to begin. Mistake after mistake after mistake. This whole current policy of the club is leading nowhere - constant changes of coaches, tactics, player positioning... Going against your owns fans, going against your own players. Besides, it's a well-known fact that it is Terry who's pulling the strings at Chelsea recently, not the coach, not any coach. And Abramovich is completely out of his mind and doesn't do the only right thing. I'm so disappointed and so bitter I could spit poison while saying this...

Probably yes. After that, they'll bring in a young and perspective manager, who will soon be sacked (like AVB and RDM) and replaced with an old guy who changed thousand clubs (like Rafa, Hiddink, Scolari). I don't think Abramovich will bring back Mourinho, so far not one manager returned to Chelsea after being sacked by him.

I'm not even sure Mourinho would say yes to the job. Not after seeing how Roman has been running the club after he left in 2007. OK, they have won another league since then (and the CL, miraculously), but I can't see how any manager on the top, top level (like Mourinho) would take the job now. Guardiola is out of the question, he's taking over Bayern. Klopp has unfinished business at Dortmund, unless they go on to win the CL this year. And I can't see any of the top British manager wanting the job either. So you're probably right about a young and prospective manager. Someone like Villas-Boas. Oh wait ...

Back