Official Football Thread

Black Wizard said:
Does anyone do Fantasy Premier League? I was wondering it we could get a Maidenfans league set up.

We did one a few years back. I just entered a team for a different league on that website yesterday, so I've now set up a league for Maidenfans. Create a team here: http://fantasy.premierleague.com/. To join the league, use the code
601179-162267

Let's try and get a fair few people playing, it should be fun.

national acrobat said:
We did one a few years back. I just entered a team for a different league on that website yesterday, so I've now set up a league for Maidenfans. Create a team here: http://fantasy.premierleague.com/. To join the league, use the code
601179-162267

Sounds fun, but I had more time on my hands, when we did the other one some years back.

Forostar said:
Sounds fun, but I had more time on my hands, when we did the other one some years back.

Yep, fair enough, as did I. But if you don't want to go through the faff of making subs etc. each week, you can just pick your team before the season and let it get on with the job from there itself.

national acrobat said:
Yep, fair enough, as did I. But if you don't want to go through the faff of making subs etc. each week, you can just pick your team before the season and let it get on with the job from there itself.

Sounds like a good alternative. When is the deadline to fill in the stuff?

Forostar said:
Group E
1 Norway
2 Slovenia
3 Switzerland
4 Albania
5 Cyprus
6 Iceland

Norway have their "own" group. They were drawn in advance, meaning that they couldn't meet the other strongest teams (on paper): Croatia, Italy, Germany, Netherlands, Portugal, Greece, England and Spain.
Is that the first time, Wingman? Expected or not, this looks like a bigger chance to qualify, compared with previous recent World Cups(?)

I'm not sure what you mean by that part in bold? Norway were seeded 9th of the European teams, that's the explaination why we couldn't meet the countries you list. It's all from the FIFA ranking as of May this year, I think, and the reason why Norway were that high is simple: We had some good results over the last year and a half.

I must say, I'm very happy about the outcome, considering we could have got for example France from the second seeding level and the Czech Republic from the third. Switzerland may be tough, but we have a good track record against them. Our chances for reaching the World Cup should be higher now than in the three previous qualifications, that's for sure.

Yeah that's what I meant. I wondered if Norway was seeded so high before (so high that they couldn't meet the other "best" countries).

I think we were seeded on the top level in the qualifiers for France '98 as well. Back then, we got Switzerland, Greece, Finland and Azerbaijan and went through the group undefeated.

I remember how we were bound for Euro '96 until the dying minutes of the home match against the Czech Republic. The 1-0 lead we had would almost have guaranteed us to finish top two, 1-1 meant the Czechs could still overtake us. And after we lost in Rotterdam and then in Prague, they did ... but they went on to reach the final, so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

1 Netherlands
2 Turkey
3 Hungary
4 Romania
5 Estonia
6 Andorra

Damn we're playing with Hungary all the time  :bigsmile: Romania is a closed book, their football is going downhill nowadays but they still have a strong squad. I'm afraid we may lose some points to Estonia and Andorra, we always lose points to the weaker teams in our groups. (draw-Malta, lose-Moldova, draw-Estonia, lose-Azerbaijan, if you look at history, you can see we couldn't even beat San Marino once  :lol:) But we will fight with Netherlands for the first place, I believe.

I think I'm right in saying that England last played San Marino in qualification for USA '94. In that away game (the last game of the group) England had to beat San Marino by 7 or 8 and hope the Dutch would loose to Poland (I think). England did score 7, but San Marino also scored the fastest goal in World Cup history and so the score was 7-1. It was also an odd game as England took around 2-3 thousand to watch and were all put together in a section of the stadium. The rest of the stadium was empty as Italy were playing there last game at home and no-one came to watch San Marino.

Forostar said:
Croatia is together with Serbia
Happened before, in the qualifications for EURO 2000, if I remember correctly. In this group there are three ex-Yugoslavian countries plus two UK countries. Serbia should easily top the group IMO 8)

Night Prowler said:
Happened before, in the qualifications for EURO 2000, if I remember correctly. In this group there are three ex-Yugoslavian countries plus two UK countries. Serbia should easily top the group IMO 8)

Croatia is a better team I think, but Serbia performs fantastic in qualification stages.

France and Spain in the same group? Would have been unthinkable a few years ago.

Sweden's group looks OK. We have no chance against Germany, of course, but we should be able to get past Ireland and Austria to claim second place.

national acrobat said:
601179-162267

Well I suppose two people is a start. :lol:

I also joined to the league but website fucked up my name because of special characters  :bigsmile:

Edit : Oh good there's a name changing option :lol:

national acrobat said:
At the moment we have a league as competitive as La Liga.  :D
Or the SPL.

Now that The Flash has joined we have a league that will be as competitive as this season's Premier League looks set to be.

Back