Official Football Thread

Yes, I guess you could say so  :innocent: At least it's better than losing.

But those two who were providing the "wall" for the free kick where the Swiss made it 2-0, should hang their heads in shame. They are told to stand there for a reason. I was surprised Hart didn't kick their arses all the way to the half way line afterwards.

Eddies Wingman said:
But those two who were providing the "wall" for the free kick where the Swiss made it 2-0, should hang their heads in shame.
That was James Milner who moved. Had he stayed put, the shot would have hit him.

Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo wants £400,000-a-week if he is to make a move to Manchester City

Real Madrid's Cristiano Ronaldo is believed to be demanding £400,000-a-week if he should make a move to Manchester City. The Sunday Mirror reports that the attacker not only wants an astronomic salary, but has also sought assurances that he will be the club's highest paid player, will be handed the No. 7 shirt and brandish the captain's armband at Eastlands.

A source close to the Portuguese player is quoted as saying:
"Cristiano says there has been contact between him and a third party. He says that he is extremely flattered at the lengths they’re willing to go to.
"He claimed that they will pay him what it takes to make him a Manchester City player.
"He says he wants £400k as taxes are higher in England.

There had previously been reports that the Ronaldo had a fractured relationship with coach Jose Mourinho, and that Real may be willing to cash in on their asset.

As I suspected, nobody here gives a rat's ass about the Gold Cup taking place in the US right now. My dad called it a third-rate tornament and frankly it is.

The participants are Central and North America (yes, even Canada fields a team) and the Caribbean. Not surprisingly the strongest teams are the U.S and Mexico and the way things are going it looks like we will have another US v. Mexico final like in '09 (Mexico beat the U.S on their on soil for the first time in a decade). Mexico is the clear favorite to win it again and I hope we do hehe. We massacred teams 5-0, 4-0, 4-1, before Guatemala decided to have all 11 players defend so Mexico squeaked by with a 2-1 coming-from-behind win. Wed we have the semi-finals US v. Panama and Mexico v. Honduras. 

Just read news about Didier Drogba's transfer, possibly to AC Milan. Milan has a lot of strikers currently, Robinho, Ibrahimovic, Pato etc. I don't think they would need another one, it would cause dispiritedness because you can't go out on the pitch with four strikers. (Or can you ?)

So even though Mexico won the Gold Cup as expected (that makes 6 cups for Mexico, 4 for the US and 1 for Canada, yup that's right, who knew Canada had Soccer Moxie...) I am still very proud of our squad. The walked through the group round, but starting in the Quarters on the opponent became increasingly difficult and they rose to every challenge. They deserved the Fair Play trophy as even though every team, frustrated do to not being able to generate much against them, would kick, shove, elbow and check any Mexican player and the Mexicans never retaliated or lose their cool.

Congrats on Mexico for continuing to dominate the Gold Cup :D Now on to Copa America in Argentina!

Congratulations! It seems Mexico were by far the better team in the tournament.

I have mainly paid attention to it because the captain of my local top flight team Fredrikstad, Celso Borges, was playing for Costa Rica. I must admit, I was pleased when they lost on penalties in the quarter-final, because that meant he could get back earlier  :D Borges was back for a cup match last Wednesday. Because of the jet-lag, he was rested for the first half. We were down 1-0 at half time, but when he came on the whole team seemed to improve several steps. The match ended 2-1 to Fredrikstad, Borges himself scoring the winner.

Too bad he's leaving after this season, finding a proper replacement will not be easy. But he deserves to play in a bigger league than the Norwegian one.

A good way to seal the come back for sure.

On a sour note, the sub-22 team is making news for all the wrong reasons. Apparently they were in Ecuador for a friendly match and 8 players decided to bring prostitutes back to the hotel. the Prostitutes proceeded to steal the player's iPods, iPads, cellphones, etc. When the players complained the hotel manager pointed to the security cameras saying it wasn't the hotel's responsibility if the players brought women to the rooms and they were ejected from the team. They were replaced by players from the sub-20 team. Good lord. What the hell were they thinking? They are there to work, they are not on vacation... I don't pay much attention to the younger national teams (even though Mexico's sub-17 team won the world cup several years ago), so I'm focused on La Copa America.

Interesting things about Turkish football. Fenerbahçe, who are the champions of the last season, are sued for rigged game charges. There were rigged game rumours throughout the second half of the season, now all the players which played a role on those rumours are sued. Is a new Juventus incident coming ? Fenerbahçe will also play in Champions League, let's see what will happen.

An example about rumours :

- When Fenerbahçe were facing Karabükspor, Karabükspor's star player Emmanuel Emenike didn't play because of injury. (?) Fenerbahçe won the critical game but after the match, goalkeeper of Karabükspor told the media that Emenike wasn't injured and it was all planned. The club cancelled goalkeeper's contract afterwards. And Emenike transferred to Fenerbahçe in the first transfer season. Now both Emenike and Karabükspor chairman are sued.

The Flash said:
Interesting things about Turkish football. Fenerbahçe, who are the champions of the last season, are sued for rigged game charges. There were rigged game rumours throughout the second half of the season, now all the players which played a role on those rumours are sued. Is a new Juventus incident coming ? Fenerbahçe will also play in Champions League, let's see what will happen.

An example about rumours :

- When Fenerbahçe were facing Karabükspor, Karabükspor's star player Emmanuel Emenike didn't play because of injury. (?) Fenerbahçe won the critical game but after the match, goalkeeper of Karabükspor told the media that Emenike wasn't injured and it was all planned. The club cancelled goalkeeper's contract afterwards. And Emenike transferred to Fenerbahçe in the first transfer season. Now both Emenike and Karabükspor chairman are sued.

Fenerbahçe's vice-president and secretary general are arrested, the chairman has some serious health problems but an arrest warrant is issued for him also. I think they're going to relegate.

Also, I wrote about the last game of the season, Fenerbahçe-Sivasspor there when the match finished. I said the game was shady, Sivasspor's goalkeeper made some incredible mistakes which turn into goals. And now Sivasspor's chairman and the goalkeeper are also arrested, I was right I think :D

Black Wizard said:
Do any Polish board members know much about Slask Wroclaw?

Not Polish myself but I "support" Wisla Krakow. My family-in-law lives in Krakow, my wife was born there, and the club is doing well since they have a Dutch coach and players.  :D

Anyone watching the women's world cup in soocer in Germany?
It's currently moved on to the quarter finals and while it may not be as fast-paced or frankly, as good, as men's soccer, it still has great goals and great atmosphere, and perhaps most refreshingly far less dives and theatrics. Those girls are real tough 'uns.
None of the teams so far are vastly superior to the others, and while Germany has home advantage and Brazil have Marta, teams like Japan, France, and Sweden have come out strong.

Natalie said:
Anyone watching the women's world cup in soocer in Germany?
It's currently moved on to the quarter finals and while it may not be as fast-paced or frankly, as good, as men's soccer, it still has great goals and great atmosphere, and perhaps most refreshingly far less dives and theatrics. Those girls are real tough 'uns.
None of the teams so far are vastly superior to the others, and while Germany has home advantage and Brazil have Marta, teams like Japan, France, and Sweden have come out strong.

Wait, women play soccer? :p

j/k I haven't had the time to watch it. The last time I saw it I really liked the matches because as you said, there is less theatrics. Not only that, it is less physical than men's games and thus a more open game with more "pretty" plays and highlight goals.

Speaking of highlight goals. Mexico's sub-17 team is going to the World Cup finals!!! on the back of these  two goals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfh2ku7HdlY

Note Gomez does NOT score, it was straight from the corner kick. Gomez was injured on the play and taken off on a stretcher but came back 3 minutes later to score this beauty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kyS6Iof9A8

We will Face Uruguay in the Final on Sunday in Mexico City. I hope we win :D

Back