Official Football Thread

Haha  :D As said before, I think Liverpool will benefit from this if we look at the long term. Suarez is a class striker and Carroll has shown that he might be on the way to becoming one. Buying those two for just a little more than they paid for Torres might prove to be a wise move.

Today, though, I think Chelsea will win (but I'll be crossing my fingers for a draw).

By the way, the first one who talks about yesterday's match at Molineux will get kicked.

Sorry EW, but to go a whole season unbeaten is a massive, massive task. If memory serves me right, only Arsenal has ever achieved that feat in the whole history of top flight football in England.

Still, on a lighter note a Geordie rang in to 606 on BBC radio to talk of a conversation with his 9 year old son:

Man: "I don't normally go home early, but we are 4-0 down and there is only 22 minutes left. Let's go home."
Son: "But Dad, we could come back from this."
Man: "No way son, in fact I'm so confident we won't come back I'll give you £500 if we do........"

I hadn't thought United would go the season unbeaten anyway, and I got a bad feeling when I read that Nani had talked openly about the possibility for that in a pre-match interview with MUTV. And Wolves away was always going to be tricky. As Ferguson has pointed out, they are able to play much better than their current league position indicates. Their best is much better than what West Ham can come up with, and they were near that level yesterday. Their defending in the second half was impressive.

Your memory doesn't serve you right. Preston North End didn't lose a single match in the 1888-89 season - the first ever season of league football.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1888%E2%80%9389_Football_League

By the way, hilarious conversation  :D It reminds me of the one time I've left a football match before the final whistle. It was a 2nd division match between Fredrikstad FK and Tollnes, and we were 3-0 down at half time. When we then got 0-4 and 0-5 in the sack before the 70 minute mark, I and my mate had had enough and left. We weren't more than 100 meters from the stadium when we heard the few hundred who were still there cheered for 1-5. The final result? 3-6.

Interesting thing about that season in 1888/89 was that there was no London or North East clubs.

No. Didn't even watch the game (it was on an obscure subscription channel and I didn't care to go to a pub to watch a friendly match which was almost certain going to be boring and which didn't mean a single thing). Instead, I stayed at home and watched Denmark v England and parts of Spain v Colombia.

From reports I've read, Norway were the better team for most of the match, Poland had only one shot on goal and that went in. Shit happens. What matters is that we beat Denmark in March.

West Ham likely to take over the Olympic Stadium after the 2012 games

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-12412739

I read that West Ham intend to keep the running tracks, making the stadium a multiple-use one, and that also concerts may be held there. Maybe this means Steve Harris finally gets a chance to lead his band at the home ground of his favourite team?  :D

Apparently the decision rests now with the London Mayor and the UK Government. I understand they are unlikely to overturn the decision made by the OPLC, but if they did need any nudging they need not look any further than Sir Alan Sugars comments where he said that any bid by West Ham will be "totally flawed" and "weak and cowardly". The very last person that David Cameron will want to please is Sr'Alan. ;)

Eddies Wingman said:
No. Didn't even watch the game (it was on an obscure subscription channel and I didn't care to go to a pub to watch a friendly match which was almost certain going to be boring and which didn't mean a single thing). Instead, I stayed at home and watched Denmark v England and parts of Spain v Colombia.

The result certainly hadn't anything to do with it.  :D

Eddies Wingman said:
From reports I've read, Norway were the better team for most of the match, Poland had only one shot on goal and that went in. Shit happens. What matters is that we beat Denmark in March.

Crap indeed. I missed all football too that day. Totally forgot but I'm glad with the Dutch result of course.

Forostar said:
The result certainly hadn't anything to do with it.   :D

The result certainly had nothing to do with me not posting here, that's right. Have I posted much after other friendly matches? I don't think so  ;) The fact is, I didn't care enough for the match to go and see it, and I didn't care to post about it. No need to read more into it than that.

Albie said:
Apparently the decision rests now with the London Mayor and the UK Government. I understand they are unlikely to overturn the decision made by the OPLC, but if they did need any nudging they need not look any further than Sir Alan Sugars comments where he said that any bid by West Ham will be "totally flawed" and "weak and cowardly". The very last person that David Cameron will want to please is Sr'Alan. ;)

:lol:

I really want QPR and West Ham to be in the same league next season (the Premier one) so I can visit Upton Park before it's gone. They've only been in the same divison once in the last 15 years, and as I have more West Ham supporting mates than any other team, this is a must-watch match. Plus, it'll help me on my very slow challenge of visiting all 92 football league grounds.

Eddies Wingman said:
The result certainly had nothing to do with me not posting here, that's right. Have I posted much after other friendly matches? I don't think so  ;)

I'll remember that it has nothing to do with defeats and I'll post the scores if you don't. :)

@Nush: Harris must hate this season.

Forostar said:
I'll remember that it has nothing to do with defeats and I'll post the scores if you don't. :)

You are certainly making a big deal out of someone not posting about a certain match. You didn't post anything about the Netherlands' match and Albie/Nush didn't post anything about England beating Denmark.  :P

Seriously, I didn't care about the match and I feel it was pointless to even play a match now, in the middle of what is a tight schedule for all our abroad-based players.

national acrobat said:
I really want QPR and West Ham to be in the same league next season...
Unless QPR fail to get promoted, this aint going to happen. ;)

Agreed. West Ham don't seem to have a very good maximum level this season, and they are not there very often either. Of course, the relegation race is close, but the 'Ammers have been bottom three for the entire season. If they don't go down, I'll eat my ...

... lunch.  :P

Here's the debate: Was Rooney's goal against Man City not only the goal of the season, but the best ever goal? The one thing you can say is that it was spectacular, so in those terms it would be right up there with the best. But you have to say that there is always that idea sitting in the back of your head suggesting "it could of gone anywhere".

In my opinion, one cannot take things like "it could have gone anywhere" as an argument for or against the "greatness" of a particular goal, because what matters is the end product. True, if Rooney tries to repeat that goal in every match for the rest of his career, he will possibly never do it - still, the one time he hit it, it was magnificent.

However, I see the point - if one can say with high certainty that a particular goalscorer not only succeeded in putting the ball exactly where he wanted it, but also was in full control of the situation, the goal might be even more admirable. Most overhead kicks and volley shots don't really fall in that category. Still, those goals are often the more memorable, together with fantastic raids like Maradona's,  Messi's (or Giggs v Arsenal in '99  :D).

I think there have been scored too many great goals over the years to really talk about one particular one as the greatest goal ever. I'd say the best candidates for such a label are those that are not only greatly executed, but also unique - like Roberto Carlos' free kick against France in 1997 or maybe Marco van Basten's volley from 1988.

Eddies Wingman said:
because what matters is the end product
...plus the fact that it was intentional. It could have gone anywhere but it went were he meant it to.

I agree with you on the uniqueness factor: that Carlos freekick was incredible. Likewise, in a recent competition of Best goal of the year(?), run by FIFA (maybe), the winner was a player for Turkey(?) who scored a 30 yard blast into the top-corner - obviously very good, but something you see with fairly often. The goal which should have won was in the Northern Irish league, and was a back-heeled volleyed flick from the edge of the area. Completely original, and again I'd say intentional.
You can see it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzAZTdyOXcA

Back