Official Football Thread

No big surprise. I'm just curious to see whether Ferguson will spend big money on a replacement (if he can) or not. I somehow doubt that Anders Lindegaard is going to take over as 1st choice in August - more likely that another goalkeeper will come in, and that Lindegaard will be #2. Kuszczak is finished at United, I think, and Ben Amos is a natural choice as 3rd goalkeeper.

Whoever takes over from Edwin van der Sar has large shoes to fill.

Eddies Wingman said:
Kuszczak is finished at United, I think,

Any more thoughts (or info) on that? Yesterday I was talking with my father-in-law about Polish goalkeepers abroad, but I think you are better informed. I'd like to update him. :)

I only think that, based on that I don't think Lindegaard is intended to be used as first goalkeeper, and had Kuszczak been intended for that role he would play more frequently. But I don't know.

Eddies Wingman said:
From that article I see Keys has commented on Rio Ferdinand's remark:

I'm sure there is a lot of banter going on in the Man Utd dressing room, just like in any football dressing room. That's hardly the same as saying the similar on TV, is it? I'd say that's more like the pub ... having been in a football team myself, I know what the dressing room is like, and many things are said that few of us would find appropriate to say in public.

Right, but Keys and Gray made the comments off-air, i.e. effectively in a private conversation, but a sky mole was recording it and released it to the press - so I think his analogy does stand up; but again, such stupidity in saying these things when you can be caught out. Ironically, I think if they'd said the comments on air and laughed about it - making clear it was a joke - I don't think there'd be anywhere near this much reaction. Much of their problem was the tone in which they said the remarks.

A nice way of getting rid of a large chunk of the £50 000 000 they got for the Spanish crybaby, perhaps?  :P Considering that they'll probably have to pay somebody to watch him on his time off, so he doesn't do more stupid things, they'll probably be spending it all!

maidenhead1996 said:
Andy Carroll = £35m ?

WTF was that ?
A lot of money for a player that has yet to prove anything just now. He may well come good over the years and the £35m may be seen as a bargain.

What was funny was Torres implying that Chelsea are a bigger club than Liverpool:

Torres said:
"This is the target for every footballer - to try to play for one of the top clubs in the world," he said.

"They [Chelsea] are one of the biggest teams in Europe and are always fighting for everything."
Source

Oh how to upset the Kop faithful....

Incidentally, Chelsea v Liverpool this weekend. :D

Torres should be glad that fixture is at Stamford Bridge rather than Anfield ...

However, I fail to see how this is supposed to strengthen Chelsea on the short term. Torres hasn't been at his best this season, and their other strikers haven't really done that bad - except for during the team's bad spell from mid-November to mid-January, where the whole team performed crap. But perhaps Anelka will move again in the summer? And of course it helps that Torres is some years younger than Anelka and Drogba. In the long run he will be very useful to them.

Torres' move to Chelsea almost broke down last night after the player's wife couldn't agree personal terms with John Terry.  :innocent:

Albie said:
A lot of money for a player that has yet to prove anything just now. He may well come good over the years and the £35m may be seen as a bargain.

It is a ridiculously large amount of money for someone with only 6 months top-flight experience, although I do think has the potential to be a very good player. But I don't think £35m can ever be regarded as a bargain, unless he single-handedly propels them to win leagues and cups - which he won't do. Liverpool aren't doing anything this season, they'd have been much better waiting until the summer and getting better value on players.

national acrobat said:
Torres' move to Chelsea almost broke down last night after the player's wife couldn't agree personal terms with John Terry.  :innocent:

168932_10150387210140134_622000133_16906438_6654467_n.jpg

By the way, check how the Crawley Town fans reacted when they were drawn against Man Utd in the FA cup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0weeEsvK5H0

national acrobat said:
But I don't think £35m can ever be regarded as a bargain...
I did say may. ;)

But yes, Liverpool will not do anything great this year.

Freddy Adu (yes The New Pele boy) signed for a Turkish 2nd League club, Çaykur Rizespor. Epic fail isn't it ?

cornfedhick said:
My friend who follows this stuff far more closely than I do thinks this was a great signing. 

It is great but the price is huge. If it was 25 million, it would be fair.

Let's see what he is going to do.

cornfedhick said:
My friend who follows this stuff far more closely than I do thinks this was a great signing. 
Possibly, but he really does need to prove himself. I think he has the potential to do really well but I don't think £35m is a reasonable price to pay.

That said, if he starts banging in goals over the next few weeks, Carroll shirts will start to fly off the shelves.

February FIFA world ranking - top 50

Look at Norway's position! I wonder when they were that high for the last time.

1  Spain 1887  
2  Netherlands 1723  
3  Germany 1485  
4  Brazil 1446  
5  Argentina 1367  
6  England 1195    
7  Uruguay 1152    
8  Portugal 1090    
9  Croatia 1075    
10  Greece 1016    
11  Norway 995  
12  Russia 982  
13  Italy 965    
14  Chile 947  
15  Ghana 940  
16  Slovenia 897  
17  Japan 882  
18  USA 869   
19  France 867  
20  Slovakia 854  
21  Australia 847  
22  Switzerland 841  
23  Serbia 837
24  Paraguay 832    
25  Montenegro 824  
26  Côte d'Ivoire 813  
27  Mexico 803  
28  Denmark 802  
29  Sweden 759
30  Czech Republic 751  
31  Turkey 741
32  Korea Republic 735  
33  Egypt 709  
34  Ukraine 702
35  Republic of Ireland 681  
36  Belarus 655  
37  Hungary 632
38  Northern Ireland 615  
39  Honduras 613  
40  Nigeria 604  
41  Burkina Faso 598
42  Bosnia-Herzegovina 583  
43  Cameroon 582  
44  Iran 571  
45  Austria 569  
46  Guinea 564
47  South Africa 562  
48  Costa Rica 560
48  Tunisia 560
50  Colombia 558

Haha, thanks  :D

Now for something completely different: Ryan Giggs named greatest Manchester United player ever

The readers of Inside United and users of www.manutd.com have voted Giggs the greatest Man Utd player ever, the top 10 are as follows:

1) Ryan Giggs 2) Eric Cantona 3) George Best 4) Sir Bobby Charlton 5) Cristiano Ronaldo 6) Paul Scholes 7) David Beckham 8) Roy Keane 9) Peter Schmeichel 10) Wayne Rooney

Giggs is the most-winning player, he has played most games and has been an integral part of the team during the entire successful period under Ferguson. Therefore I think he deserves to top the list. However, I must say I can hardly understand how Denis Law and Bryan Robson are not in the list.

Robson was a truly great player, and the most important member of the team during the 80s when the odd FA cup was all United won - but he was also one of the few who was included when Ferguson rebuilt the team and created his first league winning team. For a period he was the difference between United and mediocrity - much like Steven Gerrard has been for Liverpool at times. Definitely worthy of a top 10.

Denis Law - scoring and scoring for years, he is to date number two on the club's all time top scorer list, behind Sir Bobby Charlton. He is also one of the club's four winners of the Ballon D'Or ... and by the fans he was labeled "the king of Stretford End". His status among the fans was huge. The only other United player to be called "king" by the fans? Eric Cantona. Law should definitely be there.

Put Ronaldo at 10th, get Robson and Law in there and put Rooney and Beckham just outside the top 10, and we have a list I could agree more with. Or maybe even put Beckham ahead of Ronaldo. The latter was instrumental in achieving success in one and a half season. Perhaps one of the 10 best players to have played for United, but quality alone, for a couple of seasons, doesn't qualify for legend status at a club.

Agreed 100%, especially with Robson. A great player, and not only for United.

I am glad Keane is in there. Personally I admire Cantona a bit more than Giggs, for what he brought in the team.

Also Van der Sar I rank as a more important player than Ronaldo and Rooney. And there are not many defenders in this list.

Back