Official Football Thread

Eddies Wingman said:
Still, those goals are often the more memorable, together with fantastic raids like Maradona's,  Messi's (or Giggs v Arsenal in '99  :D).
Or Michael Owen v Argentina France '98.

One goal I will always remember for spectacular a effort was Jeremy Goss v Leeds '93. Norwich had an amazing side in those days and took Leeds apart at Ellend Road - 4-0 the eventual scoreline. What struck me about that one was the Leeds fans all simultaneously applauded it. I think they were 2-0 down at the time and really under the cosh.

And NA, Sinclair's goal was pretty damn amazing. Another I remember well.

In other news, the real Ronaldo has quit. I remember when I first got into football, around 1998, and he was by far the biggest player in the world. Truly one of the greatest strikers ever - it's too bad he was injured so much.

Anyway...

Match of the Day, at the time, compared the two and for good reason. I have to say Van Basten's goal was from a much tighter angle and rightly deserves it's hype. Yes, it was pretty damn good. :ok:

Albie said:
Match of the Day, at the time, compared the two and for good reason. I have to say Van Basten's goal was from a much tighter angle and rightly deserves it's hype. Yes, it was pretty damn good. :ok:

I also particularly like the way he moves before he hits the ball. Awesome balance and control.

Eddies Wingman said:
Definitely. That was a great goal indeed. Speaking of great goals in games involving England, this one was quite sweet: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sv7O6NWYnU Of course it isn't up there with the last few ones mentioned, but still  :D
Oh yes, I remember that one. It was qualifying for USA '94. England drew two home games against Norway and the Dutch and were leading in both (2-0 up against the Dutch) - all other home games, England won. Had they won just one of those two, they would have gone to USA.

Great goal Wingman,

I think I already mentioned it a couple of time, but that match England vs Holland was the most thrilling I have ever seen: If we'd lost -> no qualification.

Forostar said:
Great goal Wingman,

I think I already mentioned it a couple of time, but that match England vs Holland was the most thrilling I have ever seen: If we'd lost -> no qualification.

I think that match was the same day as Norway beat Poland 1-0 and took a great step closer to qualifying?

EDIT My mind tricked me there. It was much earlier - the same day Norway beat Turkey 3-1 at home. But the opposite match - Holland v England - was indeed played when Norway beat Poland 3-0 away and finally secured qualification.

Barcelona trained at QPR's stadium yesterday....I think I could get used to seeing Messi there. Maybe the prospect of playing at QPR turned his head a bit causing him to miss that sitter last night. :D

w0i6it.jpg

Barcelona got punished for trying to close the game (Villa out, Keita in) with only 0-1, 30 minutes before the final whistle. That's not usual for them, and that's a stupid move for any team that isn't playing defensive in first place.
This should teach them a lesson. However, i'm still confident they'll win with two goals difference @ Camp Nou.

Eddies Wingman said:
I think that match was the same day as Norway beat Poland 1-0 and took a great step closer to qualifying?

EDIT My mind tricked me there. It was much earlier - the same day Norway beat Turkey 3-1 at home. But the opposite match - Holland v England - was indeed played when Norway beat Poland 3-0 away and finally secured qualification.

Which was an important moment as well.

@Nush, did you make that photo?

What I find quite funny, is that so far today just about everyone on TV from the home counties has all of a sudden "outed" themselves as a Crawley Town fan.

Albie said:
What I find quite funny, is that so far today just about everyone on TV from the home counties has all of a sudden "outed" themselves as a Crawley Town fan.
Then back to supporting Man U next week?  :P

I'll be going for Crawley as the underdog, but it's not exactly the fairytale story is it, with the amount of money that they've apparantly spent down in that division?

P.S. C'mon you R's!

Top vs bottom in the Not-that-clevership* today, eh? QPR should obviously win today.

The weekend's FA cup matches are underway already, starting with the replay between Chelsea and Everton. I really hope Everton win this - both because I don't want to see Chelsea win anything, and because I don't want Chelsea v United at the Bridge to be postponed again.

Also, I hope Sir Alex sends out a proper team against Crawley. Both because one should not risk an upset by fielding only reserves and junior players, and because I find it more respectful towards Crawley to field a strong team. A team like the one that played Southampton in the previous round should do.

*The Not-that-clevership is one of the names given to the Championship by a Norwegian cartoonist who is an avid follower of English football (and often makes references to it in his cartoons - the main figure is a die-hard Liverpool fan and his best friend, the poor sod, is a Leeds fan). Other names include The Wankership  :D About the cartoon: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pondus

You open yourself up to ridicule anyway when you call the second division the "Championship" and League 1 is the 3rd division. Those cartoons (names) reminded me of this one, which you might like:
1231.gif

Agreed, I think it would make more sense to use the old naming system. I understand that the Premier League is formally not part of the Football League, but still - one is not a champion by winning the Championship (although I guess winning it is nice  :D)

By the way, the Leeds fan in the cartoon I mentioned lives with a woman who is a Man Utd fan, and they have a kid called Gordon (after Gordon Strachan, who played for both clubs). During one of their arguments about whether the kid should be brought up supporting Man Utd or Leeds, you can read the kid thinking "I like QPR. Nice colours"  :D

Eddies Wingman said:
you can read the kid thinking "I like QPR. Nice colours"  :D
:ok:  Funny thing though, my mum (a QPR fan) also had a soft spot for Leeds growing up, because she liked their all-white kit. Incidentally, she chose QPR as her team because of the graffiti around where she lived in West London.

Eddies Wingman said:
one is not a champion by winning the Championship (although I guess winning it is nice  :D)
I'll let you know in a couple of months time. :D

Back