Official Football Thread

Norway stay in 22nd - out of the European teams that's 14th. In other words, if the ranking was the truth, we would be second favourites to qualify for Euro 2012 from our group with Portugal, Denmark, Iceland and Cyprus.

In reality, I think we'll have a close race and I'll be positively surprised if we qualify. First, we need to stop drawing against crap teams ...

Eddies Wingman said:
Norway stay in 22nd - out of the European teams that's 14th. In other words, if the ranking was the truth, we would be second favourites to qualify for Euro 2012 from our group with Portugal, Denmark, Iceland and Cyprus.

In reality, I think we'll have a close race and I'll be positively surprised if we qualify. First, we need to stop drawing against crap teams ...

ELO ranking has Norway as #30.  Maybe that's more realistic.  Although, Croatia is ranked #7 which is wishful thinking.  Go figure!

Norway as #30 sounds reasonable, being one of the teams that regularly misses out on qualification with the smallest margin for every tournament since Euro 2000 (except the 2002 World Cup).

Agree on the "wtf" on a 7th for Croatia. They really haven't done much to deserve such a ranking the last few years. I mean, QF in Euro 2008 is OK, then going on to miss qualification for this World Cup shows the following: The ranking systems of national teams aren't really very precise measures of any team's current quality. With only between 5 and 10 matches every year, there is not enough data to reflect the current strength.

Me:
Genghis Khan said:
I don't mean to brag, but I'm happy my gold, silver and bronze medal predictions were right from day one.

I rather hoped things were different but alas. I think it was good that I saw this match in France, far away from annoying collegues, media etc. I am almost over it. ;)

I do not want to defend the Dutch play in the final wholeheartedly but this aggression (and the ridiculous amount of cards) still was a better way to play Spain compared to way the Germans did it. Germany played to soft, saw all corners of the field, and had hardly a chance.

Until next time Gadget... ;)

Due to Newcastle, Chelsea and Arsenal all scoring 6 goals this weekend, they played The Number of the Beast on MotD 2 this week. I squealed like a little bitch!

Robbiedbee said:
Due to Newcastle, Chelsea and Arsenal all scoring 6 goals this weekend, they played The Number of the Beast on MotD 2 this week. I squealed like a little bitch!
The last bit with Andy Carroll's red eyes was hilarious.

I had a dream last night that Southend's Chairman - Ron Martin - quit the club and Southend folded and was no more.

Still, three games in and they're already in a relegation battle.

That was indeed. I was keeping an eye on all the scores on the BBC website (I don't have satellite TV - which is where the England away games are shown) and saw that score flash up.

Good win for England as well - three points away from home against what could potentially be their biggest rivals in this group.

Forostar said:
Congrats Wingman!

Important victory!  :ok:

Thanks! That felt good, it was way too long since we beat a really good team in a game that mattered.

Standings in the group, as per today:

Norway  2 2 0 0 3-1 6
Denmark 1 1 0 0 1-0 3
Cyprus    1 0 1 0 4-4 1
Portugal  2 0 1 1 4-5 1
Iceland  2 0 0 2 1-3 0

Looks good, but there is a lot of work to be done. Both matches against Denmark will be tough, really tough.

George Harris to play for Trosvik

If any of you remember, 'Arry's son George was training with Fredrikstad FK when Maiden played in Norway in 2008. Now he is back in town, to play for division 5 side Trosvik:

Article (in Norwegian)

(Trosvik was also the first club of Tarik Elyounossi who currently plays for Heerenveen in the Dutch premier division).

What a horrible start to the Champions League campaign for Man Utd. Not only was the weakened side not able to break down Rangers' 10 man defense, but we lost our best winger (Antonio Valencia) to a really, really nasty injury.

When the Rangers player waved for medics to come onto the pitch, it was evident that it was bad. So unlucky, because the challenge was really not anything to write home about. Still it was sufficient to break Valencia's ankle. I'll be surprised if he plays any more this season  :(

Champions this year is not interesting lol (my team isn't there for the first time in years) and I'm sad with the result of my most hated team in the world won their game (Benfica) and here is one hoping they lose all games  :D

I didn't see The Man U game, but from all game reviews it seems they weren't at their level, it's a shame since I like them. And I'm sorry for Valencia's ankle, that sucks :/
But the best team in the world Barcelona has prooved once again why they're the best, what a game! Messi is unique and imo he will be the greteast player ever, his playing yesterday was amazing and missed a penalty. Great game! I hope they win the Champions =D

I don't think beating Panathinaikos at home proves that one is the best. Greek teams are always horrible away from home. But for Barcelona, this was what they needed after their abysmal performance against Hercules FC last weekend ...

True Panathinaikos isn't as good as they once were (but aren't so bad), but Barça played great, I love they style, always passing and progressing at the same time, they call it the tiki-taka I suppose, and I love it. Imo they're the best team nowadays (and I must say I've never seen a team play so good as they do, but I'm only 22 tho lol).

And the game with Hercules was a disgrace, I've never seen them play so poor I believe, but that's what I always say, if Barça are on a good day (they are most of the times) they are very hard to defeat, the other day was a day off from them.

I'm curious to see Real Madrid in the Champions this year. They play against Ajax today I believe, let's see how it goes.

Back