Official Football Thread

Will-I-Am said:
@Forostar :
I didn't like this touch 'what aspect of football he finds important'.

Well, about this aspect, that was your criticism on Holland vs Brazil. You did find this important.

Fact: Holland has shot more on the goal vs Uruguay than Spain did vs Germany.
Still I see an entirely different level of enthousiasm ("Holland didn't show much" vs "Spain is good").

I like to show the contrast with the statistics.

Holland showed much more than Spain, definitely. I just hope Spain won't block them as they did with Germany.

Forostar said:
Well, about this aspect, that was your criticism on Holland vs Brazil. You did find this important.

Fact: Holland has shot more on the goal vs Uruguay than Spain did vs Germany.
Still I see an entirely different level of enthousiasm ("Holland didn't show much" vs "Spain is good").

I like to show the contrast with the statistics.

It was an example Foro! 

Still I see an entirely different level of enthousiasm

I'm not very happy with the way that Netherlands scores, in the important matches. Are you ??
If I was seeing something similar with the Spanish goals against Paraguay and mostly against Portugal, I'd be more satisfied, I guess... 

Does the Spanish tactic remind you of Greece when they won the Euro 6 years ago? They also played a defensive bunker and scored about one goal per game...

Are you fucking serious? It was Germany in bunker, not Spain.

In the sense that it was impossible to score against Greece, yes. But no other relation really, Spain is a very-very talented team...

Of course, talent-wise, Greece is the bottom of the cesspool...

Zare, I don't know, but to me it seemed that Spain were doing nothing but blocking Germany and being very careful with their offensive. Maybe because I was cheering for Germany, I wasn't all that objective.

Well I was wrong...

Spain won all it's knock out matches 1-0 and Germany crushed England 4-1 and Argentina 4-0. Just on goals for average I figured Germany would win, but Spains defensive style won it for them. Good for Spain.

You know what I hate about Spain? It's the way they approach the game. Trying to walk the ball down the centre to score, overplay this and overplay that, one too many passes but they still keep possession. Sometimes I just feel like screaming at the TV.....

Get on with it, for f*cks sake!

I hope the Dutch slaughter them. :D

Spain could have won 3-0, but they fucked up royally on those chances. Pedro being the one I remember, he had his teammate RIGHT THERE and instead chooses to go for it solo and of course the two German D overtake him... idiot.

Onhell said:
Spain could have won 3-0, but they fucked up royally on those chances. Pedro being the one I remember, he had his teammate RIGHT THERE and instead chooses to go for it solo and of course the two German D overtake him... idiot.

Yep he got substituted immidiately.

Yes Pedro! What a selfish idiot, he's been  <_<

Albie said:
You know what I hate about Spain? It's the way they approach the game. Trying to walk the ball down the centre to score, overplay this and overplay that, one too many passes but they still keep possession. Sometimes I just feel like screaming at the TV.....

Strange... that's exactly what I love about Spain  :innocent:

The game with Netherlands will be interesting though :
  • Spanish learned from UK and Argentina
  • Dutch will learn from Germany.
  • Dutch didn't show their true face yet, so Spain can not learn from anybody.
And that's Netherlands' big advantage!

Forostar said:
Yep he got substituted immidiately.

You think that's related to his previous fuck up ??

Will-I-Am said:
Strange... that's exactly what I love about Spain  :innocent:
And I can sort of see why folk like that type of football - I mean Arsenal aren't short of admirers. I just prefer, if truth be known, counter attacking football played with pace and purpose. Which is why I have admired the Germans this world cup (and the Dutch in Euro 2008). Take the third (or was it the fourth) goal against England. England had a free kick just outside the German area, around two or three seconds later, David James was picking it out of his net.

Forostar said:
Yes, I think Del Bosque was really annoyed about it and wanted to show it to him this way.

If he did it for that purpose, he's a big coach!
Now you mention it, I thought he is a very clever coach when he put Torres immediately after the 1-0.

Albie said:
And I can sort of see why folk like that type of football - I mean Arsenal aren't short of admirers. I just prefer, if truth be known, counter attacking football played with pace and purpose. Which is why I have admired the Germans this world cup (and the Dutch in Euro 2008). Take the third (or was it the fourth) goal against England. England had a free kick just outside the German area, around two or three seconds later, David James was picking it out of his net.

Counter attacking is the best, but it requires 1) knock out games & 2) someone to be back on score.
Yesterday's match became much more interesting when Spain scored and it was then that Spain creating a few interesting chances...
By the way, if Germany had scored the first, now we could had a 3-1 or 4-1 again!

Will-I-Am said:
If he did it for that purpose, he's a big coach!
Now you mention it, I thought he is a very clever coach when he put Torres immediately after the 1-0.

I think he is more clever than Löw, since Löw had already used two players when the rather late 1-0 fell.

Holland has shown some pretty good attacks. But have also had some periods that they did not play well.

If Holland had had an easy (it is the world cup, so easy is relative) schedule, Brasil would not have part of it. I think the Dutch team deserves a big cheer for being able to make a huge difference during half time. And not even use a substitution for it. The same 11 players made the difference.

Felippe Scolari once said (regarding international tournaments) that 'It's always the two best teams to reach the final'
I liked that quote and since, it has a status of axiom to me.
Thus, the best teams for 2010 World Cup are, self-evidently, Netherlands and Spain.
It's a fact that Netherlands reached that point without sweating too much (apart the match with Brazil), but this can be proven a big advantage in the end.

Romario called the final with these two teams a victory for football, and even said that Holland and Spain are the best technical teams of the tournament! Some Brazilians are not going to like this.  :D

So, here's an old one:

What do you call an Englishman in the World Cup Final?

The ref.

Not overly surprised as he has done pretty well so far and has steered well clear of controversy. Controversy that has blighted this tournament with some very poor refereeing decisions. Good luck to him.

Note, that joke is normally reserved for Scotsmen in the World Cup Finals. :D

Albie said:
So, here's an old one:

What do you call an Englishman in the World Cup Final?

The ref.

Not overly surprised as he has done pretty well so far and has steered well clear of controversy. Controversy that has blighted this tournament with some very poor refereeing decisions. Good luck to him.

Note, that joke is normally reserved for Scotsmen in the World Cup Finals. :D

He was lucky not to see the punch from Slovakia's goalkeeper in their match against Italy, though. Had he seen it, he would have had to give a red card. And considering how the Italian player dramatized that (he was just barely hit), I'm sure Webb would have received some flak.

Still, in the same match there were many situations that could have escalated, and he handled them well. I think he deserves the final.

Back