Official Football Thread

I read that earlier and found it so bizarre. I would not have believed had it not been on the BBC's website (and now the Guardian as well).

Eddies Wingman said:
Thanks! That felt good, it was way too long since we beat a really good team in a game that mattered.

Standings in the group, as per today:

Norway   2 2 0 0 3-1 6
Denmark 1 1 0 0 1-0 3
Cyprus    1 0 1 0 4-4 1
Portugal  2 0 1 1 4-5 1
Iceland   2 0 0 2 1-3 0

Looks good, but there is a lot of work to be done. Both matches against Denmark will be tough, really tough.

Looks like Norway is a mover and a shaker.

Ranking Team Pts +/- Pos Sep 2010
1         Spain 1824 0 Equal
2 Netherlands 1663 0 Equal
3 Germany    1490 1 Up
4 Brazil          1480 -1 Down
5 Argentina  1351 0 Equal
6 England England 1191 1 Up
7 Uruguay Uruguay 1182 -1 Down
8 Portugal Portugal 1049 0 Equal
9 Egypt Egypt 1034 0 Equal
10 Chile          1004 0 Equal
11 Croatia Croatia 998 3 Up
12 Greece Greece 973 0 Equal
13 Italy          965 -2 Down
14 Norway Norway 958 8 Up
15 Serbia Serbia 945 -2 Down

I saw that. Hope we can stay that high at least until the draw for the 2014 World Cup qualifiers. That draw is next summer, so we just need a couple more good results, I think.

It's quite remarkable that Egypt did not qualify for the 2010 World Cup considering they've been Africa's highest ranking team for quite some time now.

A little (no,, big) shock from Norwegian football tonight.

Rosenborg BK, currently well in the lead in the league and undefeated in the first 24 matches of the season, tumbled out of the cup tonight, in the semi-final. They lost 3-2 after extra time.

Against Follo FK, currently last in the 2nd tier of Norwegian league football. I can't recall the last time a team played in the cup final and were relegated to tier 3 in the same season. It might very well be the first time, ever.

2-3 in the end. On a day that also saw Chelsea lose, Arsenal really had to make ground on them.

Bwahaha.

Now I really hope United can capitalize on Chelsea's and Arsenal's defeats. Bolton away is not the easiest fixture of the season, and with two draws in the first two away games this season there is no reason to be cocky. United need to step up a notch away from Old Trafford.

Also I guess 'Arry (not Redknapp, for sure) is a happy man today. West Ham got their first win of the season, against Spurs. I watched that game and I must say it was a deserved win for the Hammers.

Yeah Arsenal pressured them tunill the last minute but they survived.

City played well today, I liked what I saw. On another hand, Chelsea was strong as well today but didn't create too many chances. Ramires was so good here in Portugal but he is disapointing me now in Chelsea, he was the one who lost the ball that originated Tevez goal.

Crap. Credit to Bolton for a surprisingly good performance, but I am quite pissed off by United's sloppy defending. The ball should never have come as far as Zat Knight's head before the 1-0 goal, and in general they were offered far too many opportunities. At the same time United were able to put together some nice attacks, but the last crucial pass was either poor or didn't come (like when Berbatov was played through with that superb cross from Rooney, and he didn't see Giggs in the middle).

Three draws in the first three away games. Next up is Sunderland, away - but first a tough away fixture at Mestalla on Wednesday.

No, I can't really complain about the results, and I'm not worried just because Chelsea have won five of their first six. Their opposition in those five was as easy as they will get this season.

What concerns me more is that United are not defending well at all. Two or three goals against in four games is well sub-par. It has to improve quickly. The defense lacks a leader, so here's to hoping Rio Ferdinand returns soon. He could see more action against Valencia on Wednesday. He did play against Rangers, but was not really tested there as Rangers hardly went across the half-way line for 90 minutes.

Eddies Wingman said:
....Rangers hardly went across the half-way line for 90 minutes.
Teams that play like that drive me round the bloody bend. Yes it's Old Trafford and yes Rangers are not as good as the best in the Premiership - but at least have a go at them.

Well, I understand them. If they believe that one point at Old Trafford can help them go through (which is obviously their goal) they don't have much choice. Still, I agree that it is annoying as hell to watch. Even the Greek team at Euro 2004 were not that reluctant to attacking. Hell, not even the bleak Norwegian team from Euro 2000.

I'm surprised with Man U defense this year. They used to be so solid and nowadays any team can score against them.
They have to sign a good Right Back, O' Shea is a player who gives everything he has every game, but it's just not enough for a team like United.
Despite all this I'm with Chelsea, love their team, it will be easy this year.

Back