Official Football Thread

Albie said:
Any one fancy answering this? The oldest World Cup debutante made his debut in this World Cup. Who is he?

This is a player, or this can include coach as well??

Albie said:
Germany v England is a tough call, I think, but it is about time we beat the Germans in a World Cup finals match as we have failed to do so on the last three occasions:

Mexico '70 Quarter Final: England 2-3 W. Germany (and England lead 2-0).
Spain '82 Second Round: England 0-0 W. Germany (when the second round consisted of four groups of three).
Italia '90 Semi-Final: England 1-1 W. Germany (lost out on penalties).

However, we can take heart in the fact that two of the last three meetings in a competitive match have seen England win:

Holland/Belgium 2000 first round: England 1-0 Germany.
World Cup qualifier 2000 Wembley: England 0-1 Germany (only a few months after the above match).
World Cup qualifier 2001 Munich: Germany 1-5 England.

Not only the World Cup, 1996 defeat was the most painful of them all  :mad: Not to mention the last match held on Wembley...

Will-I-Am said:
This is a player, or this can include coach as well??
No, player only.

Will-I-Am said:
Not only the World Cup, 1996 defeat was the most painful of them all  :mad: Not to mention the last match held on Wembley...
Both Euro '96 and Italia '90 Semi's are bitter pills to take. Losing on pens are a sad way to go - but for the neutrals, to sit through that drama must be interesting. I remember a penalty shoot out in USA '94 between Bulgaria and Mexico - now that was the drama of it without the pain. Why that had more drama than others, I don't know but I seem to recall a lot of misses by the Mexicans that made it pretty dramatic (considering the Bulgarians missed their fist attempt).

Albie said:
No, player only.

David James??  :blink: Why England should bother to call a 39 years old ?? What's the matter with you guys ??  :P

Albie said:
Both Euro '96 and Italia '90 Semi's are bitter pills to take. Losing on pens are a sad way to go - but for the neutrals, to sit through that drama must be interesting. I remember a penalty shoot out in USA '94 between Bulgaria and Mexico - now that was the drama of it without the pain. Why that had more drama than others, I don't know but I seem to recall a lot of misses by the Mexicans that made it pretty dramatic (considering the Bulgarians missed their fist attempt).

It depends. Brazil -Italy, 1994 it seemed fair enough, but France -Italy, 2006 it was very sad to see.  ;)
By the way here is a statistics :

1970. Italy in finals, looses against Brazil.
12 years later wins.
12 years later looses.
12 years later wins.

Eddies Wingman said:
I haven't really followed Italy's national team between these last two World Cups. But I do have an impression that the team is in the progress of a generation change now? I mean, quite few of the players in this year's squad were part of the 2006 champion team. I know some are injured, of course (like Totti). But still, I was never expecting this Italian team to go all the way. I saw this as a quarter-final team, not more. What were the expections like in Italy?

And of course, wanting to lynch Lippi now, considering the very same man led them to the title four years ago, is shameless. Memory is indeed short.
Expectations, of course, were high, since we were the Cup holders, but sometimes you need to be realistic. Did we have better results in the 2008 European Championship, with Donadoni? There was an inevitable generation change, but what new players does one expect to find in a championship where the best (?) team, Inter, hasn't one good italian player, and other teams, like Juventus and Milan (that in the past provided many great players to the national team) aren't the strong teams that were a few years ago? Lippi tried to rely on this group, believing that he could motivate them, but unlike 2006, he eventually failed. That said, we'll see what next coach (Prandelli, who was officially chosen some time ago, to succeed to Lippi), will be able to do.

Will-I-Am said:
1970. Italy in finals, looses against Brazil.
12 years later wins.
12 years later looses.
12 years later wins.

Ok, I'll find something else to do in the summer of 2018, instead of watching World Championship :D

Will-I-Am said:
David James??  :blink: Why England should bother to call a 39 years old ?? What's the matter with you guys ??  :P
It is David James - surprisingly unused in 2006. But after his showing in Euro 2004...

And right now, he seems pretty comfortable in goal. ;)

Forostar said:
In the history of the World Cup New Zealand is only the 3rd country that did not survive the group fase with three draws....
In 1958, England drew three and did not progress. However, rather than lots (or whatever) they made England and the Soviet Union play a one off that the Soviets won. Had there been three points for a win, the Soviets would have gone through anyway.

Albie said:
It is David James - surprisingly unused in 2006. But after his showing in Euro 2004...

Right, Euro 2004! That's why I remember his name... Good team you were then (2002 -2004), but unlucky 
Netherlands is another big unlucky of the World Cups...facing twice the hosting nations, other times unfairly beaten (1990) and some other times...Brazil  :D

Albie said:

In 1958, England drew three and did not progress. However, rather than lots (or whatever) they made England and the Soviet Union play a one off

The one of was the progress (or at least the chance for progress).  :D

Will-I-Am said:
Netherlands is another big unlucky of the World Cups...facing twice the hosting nations, other times unfairly beaten (1990)

Unfairly beaten in 1990? Nah, I wouldn't say that. In the round of 16, Germany was more dangerous and the Netherlands consisted out of a bunch of ego's who thought they would walk to the World Cup after winning Euro 88. I think we played better on all other tournaments, since then. Let's focus on the post-1990 era (everyone knows the Dutch deserved to win in 1974 and 1978 ;) ).

World Cup:
In 1994 there was a terribly exciting quarter final vs the eventual champion Brazil, which we lost 3-2 by a nasty freekick (or perhaps goalkeeper mistake, judge yourself (French commentary) Personally I don't think it was a huge blunder. I think that Ed de Goey thought someone in the wall would have to hit the ball, but amazingly it flies straight between two players, so the goal was kind of unlucky for him).
In 1998 perhaps the best "post-1988" tournament, losing in the semi-finals from Brazil, by penalties.
In 2006 we were knocked out in the first knock-out match, the round of 16, by Portugal.

Euro 1992: Eliminated by Denmark in the semi final: penalties
Euro 1996: Eliminated by France in the quarter final: penalties
Euro 2000: Eliminated by Italy in the semi final: penalties
Euro 2004: Eliminated by Portugal in the semi final.
Euro 2008: beaten by Russia (3-1, after extra time) in the quarter final.

From all our Angstgegner, "only" Brazil and Portugal are left.

But first let's try to win from Slovakia ...

I haven't yet read any of the posts since my last.

Today, I still hold that Brazil will be first, Portugal second, Spain first and Chile second.  Ivory Coast needs to score like 9 or 10 goals and to catch up to Portugal, which is unrealistic.

2-0 to the Ivory Coast at half time, but unless Brazil score, whatever they do will be in vain.

The referee in Portugal v Brazil seems to be very keen on booking people. 7 bookings in the first half. Of course, some of them were plain obvious (the handball, Tiago's dive, Pepe's stamp which could in fact have been a red, and Felipe Melo's payback two minutes later). Duda's yellow was also justifiable, he ran straight up to the ref from behind and demanded a red card for Juan - even physically touching the ref.

I have a feeling we will see red cards today.

Albie said:

In 1958, England drew three and did not progress. However, rather than lots (or whatever) they made England and the Soviet Union play a one off that the Soviets won. Had there been three points for a win, the Soviets would have gone through anyway.

How about this one?  Who is the oldest soccer player to have played in a major international tournament?

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The Brazil-Portugal game has rough play.  Good thing Dunga took out Menlo as he could have been red carded.  Duda has been cautioned for complaining about the hand ball on Juan, which the commentator called "a Serbian hand ball".  Duda must have wanted a red card instead of yellow that Juan received and earned a yellow as well.  Also Tiago had a major dive in the Brazilian 18 yard box.  Poor sportsmanship, which unfortunately is a Portugese characteristic.

Brazil had the best chance in the first half.

EDIT: I pretty much wrote the same thing as Winger.

Juan should have been red-carded for that handball as Ronaldo would have been one on one with the 'keeper in a good goal scoring situation. He was lucky and new it. But I'm pleased Duda got booked for his part in it.

Genghis Khan said:
How about this one?  Who is the oldest soccer player to have played in a major international tournament?
I would guess this was a 'keeper as they go on forever. Shilton was around 40/41 in Italia '90, so it would have to be someone older than that. Not sure, but I know who the youngest player to score in a World Cup finals games was. Someone want to chip in with both?

Edit: The oldest player was not Roger Milla in '94? He was already old in '90.

Albie said:
Juan should have been red-carded for that handball as Ronaldo would have been one on one with the 'keeper in a good goal scoring situation. He was lucky and new it. But I'm pleased Duda got booked for his part in it.

I guess the ref was thinking that the entire thing just happened too far from the goal and that the ball was on the way towards the sideline more than towards the goal - thus not an obvious opportunity. But it is yet another of those "ruling the opposite way wouldn't be wrong" decisions.

I just watched the replay of that handball incident and Ronaldo would have been clear had it fell for him. I said at the time, he will be off. The commentators suggested not, but the pundits in the studio said he should have been off. Alan Hansen, Alan Shearer were all adamant on it been red. I'm with the Alan's.

I agree with Albie and the Alans, Ronaldo would have been one on one with the keeper, so it should have been a red.

Oldest player: Dino Zoff? I have a feeling he may only have been the oldest winner though.

I thought Roger Milla was the oldest one playing internationally.  From wiki:
"1994 World Cup

Milla returned to the 1994 FIFA World Cup at the age of 42, being the oldest player ever to appear in a World Cup. Cameroon were knocked out in the group stages; however, Milla scored a goal against Russia, setting a record as the oldest goalscorer in a World Cup tournament."

The reason I chose this question is due to advertisements about best cheer in which Milla is featured.  They're running one per break, so it seems.

Opening kick-off.  Here we go!  Go Spain!  Don't F-up!

Anyone want to have a go at the youngest scorer in a World Cup finals? He beat Pele's record from 1958. A bit of a clue is that he was also, at the time - it may have been bettered since, the youngest player to score in the FA Cup final. So he played in the English league, but he was not English.

As for Roger Milla ads, we have a coke ad running as frequent as that focusing on goal celebrations.

Genghis Khan said:
Opening kick-off.  Here we go!  Go Spain!  Don't F-up!

Well, Spain have almost fucked up at a few occasions. Chile, on the other hand, fucked up totally. Why on earth didn't the goale ram that ball into row Z?

I also have to add I think that second yellow card to Estrada was terribly strict. I mean, he and Torres were just running in crossing directions and I'm not even sure Estrada saw Torres before they touched. How on earth can you give someone a second yellow for that? It even happened as the ball was on its way into the back of the net.

I think it's over for Chile now. They just have to hope Honduras can get something from the Swiss.

Eddies Wingman said:
Well, Spain have almost fucked up at a few occasions. Chile, on the other hand, fucked up totally. Why on earth didn't the goale ram that ball into row Z?

I also have to add I think that second yellow card to Estrada was terribly strict. I mean, he and Torres were just running in crossing directions and I'm not even sure Estrada saw Torres before they touched. How on earth can you give someone a second yellow for that? It even happened as the ball was on its way into the back of the net.

I think it's over for Chile now. They just have to hope Honduras can get something from the Swiss.

I agree with you 100%, especially the second yellow on Estrada. 
I just saw the highlights of the other game.  Very few scoring chances.  If this continues, Chile can still make it.

Back