Official Football Thread

Hiya, I wasn't drunk, because I was at work. I still could see the match though!  :)

XoRRoX said:
We did play quite defensive, but we played a great first half. But Holland was better overall, no dobut.

The football "war" between Norway and Denmark never ends ;) but i wouldn't call Denmark's play primitive. We did play defensive, but we did have some chances in the first half. Holland was not that dangerous in the first half

In the first half the Danes were playing calmer, and had a grouped defense, difficult to get through. We had a few chances, but Danmark as well.

XoRRoX said:
, but the goal did of course give Holland a perfect chance to play their game :) p

We were kind of lucky with that own goal. Poor guy, he was one of the best of your team. Because of the 1-0 the Danes had to try more and gave away more space, leading to more opportunities for us.
I am glad for Dirk Kuijt, one of the hardest workers of the squad. By the way, Morten Olson tried something like Ferguson, making us believe that Bendtner wouldn't play, and there he suddenly was. ;)

Eddies Wingman said:
Well, I like to think it is mostly a media-created thing. I enjoyed watching the Danish team in the 90s. And what you said about today's game sounds like what I would say after both our games in the qualifiers. Maybe it's just what follows from playing against Holland. If you don't want to play defensive, you're forced to do so.

I agree - Denmark has since Schmeichel and the Laudrup brothers mostly been based on a strong collective. Even though we prefer to call ourselves the most offensive and creative football nation in Scandinavia (1986 was our prime time regarding our total football playing style), I believe we are playing just like Sweden and Norway. Especially Norway has recieved a lot of unfair critisism regarding their playing style in my opinion, mainly from the Danish press.

Forostar said:
In the first half the Danes were playing calmer, and had a grouped defense, difficult to get through. We had a few chances, but Danmark as well.
We were kind of lucky with that own goal. Poor guy, he was one of the best of your team. Because of the 1-0 the Danes had to try more and gave away more space, leading to more opportunities for us.
I am glad for Dirk Kuijt, one of the hardest workers of the squad. By the way, Morten Olson tried something like Ferguson, making us believe that Bendtner wouldn't play, and there he suddenly was. ;)

Simon Poulsen did a fine job, he was really unlucky in that situation (but he did save us later, when we collapsed). The danish players were quite tired in the last 25 minutes, we were quite lucky we didn't lose 4-0. Our problem is our lacking goals - we did have some chances, but we are very dependent of Bendtner. He is still injuired according to himself and Morten Olsen - he was only used because our other stricker (Jon Dahl Tomasson, who plays in Feyernoord if I remember correctly) was also injuired.

Japan won 1-0 against Cameroun...quite an suprise. Cameroun was very weak, I believe and Japan wasn't that great either. Holland should not have problems against Japan :)

Eddies Wingman said:
Well, winning the next two wouldn't guarantee that England win the group. Both Slovenia and Algeria seemed so toothless that I think the US will beat them both as well, and then what matters is who will hammer them the most  :D
I fancy Slovenia to get something from the USA and England to win both - leaving us top. I hope.

XoRRoX said:
(Jon Dahl Tomasson, who plays in Feyernoord if I remember correctly)

Many others of your team also played in the Netherlands. Some in the past, some still.

So both countries were prepared well!
:)

Hope is a good thing, but if Slovenia are going to get anything from the US, it's got to be a goalless draw. They were anemic. (Now, the US also needed a dodgy goalkeeper to get a result they were pleased with, just like the Slovenians).

Speaking of Robert Green - i saw some jokes copied from British media today. With somebody commenting:

"These Rob Green jokes are getting out of hand. In fact they're crossing the line"

:mad: :mad: :mad: Italy played a decent first half though, taking into account the fact that they are a mediocre team...  :D

Don't blink.  :blink:

I'm bummed, cause I was going to watch some of the matches yesterday, and the signal was knocked out during the storm.

I think, tho, that I can catch some action on ESPN360 today. 
OK, so any feedback/thoughts about the stories of the ball playing weird?

Man, World Cup started pretty disappointing! Only crap teams, and eventually, crap games (some made me fall asleep midway through 'em). The most playable squads up 'til now were Germany, South Korea and Japan. 2 more days to see if Brasil, Spain and a possible dark horse - I feel New Zealand will surprise us positively - make some decent performances on this first round.

Wasted CLV said:
OK, so any feedback/thoughts about the stories of the ball playing weird?

Haven't heard anything about that. The ball is supposed to be the most spherical ever... no complaints from the players so far that I have seen.

By the way, the fact that Japan's goalscorer yesterday is named Honda, I couldn't help thinking about one of these:

CIMG1271%20%28Custom%29.JPG

Partly because "jordfreser" (the Norwegian word for motorized cultivators) is a common nickname for midfielders who run around and tackle everything that moves. So the combo of him being a midfielder and having Honda as his last name ...

Will-I-Am said:
AbandOn, long time no see mate  -Que cazzo di mundo  ;)
Hey mate! Yes, you're right, unfortunately I'm very busy with the thesis and stuff, but I always keep an eye on this board ;)

Eddies Wingman said:
By the way, the fact that Japan's goalscorer yesterday is named Honda, I couldn't help thinking about one of these:

CIMG1271%20%28Custom%29.JPG

Partly because "jordfreser" (the Norwegian word for motorized cultivators) is a common nickname for midfielders who run around and tackle everything that moves. So the combo of him being a midfielder and having Honda as his last name ...

Now THAT is funny, moreso because of the slight racism rather than the word play :p, but funny nonetheless hahahaha.

Back