Official Football Thread

Albie said:
If you think the Dutch will have difficulty in replacing Sar, try seeing it from an English point of view. Aside from Seaman (who could only be judged as very, very good, not world class), England have yet to find a decent replacement for Shilton - who retired from international football after the 1990 world cup. Up to then, it was almost guaranteed that England's number 1 was also the world best. Think about it, Banks, Clemence, Shilton.......and then Chris Woods. :huh:

Definitely an ongoing worry, and it doesn't look like changing in the foreseeable future. The other problem with the England team is the second striker. It's a fairly common talking point among QPR fans that Les Ferdinand if he was still playing would be a perfect forward to play alongside Rooney; but when he was active he was behind Shearer, Sheringham, Fowler and Andy Cole. And nowadays Heskey and Carlton Cole are the ones playing in that role.

Let them have their little fun. We're going to a World Cup!
Ridiculous accusations of racism over this t-shirt: link. As Alan Partridge would say, this country! *shakes head*

Racist? That's ridiculous. I see it as some Scots having "their little fun" as you say, and I have a hard time understanding how somebody can even come up with the idea of labeling it as racist.

There are other, more obvious places to look for that in Scotland. For example the Old Firm rivalry. (Not strictly racism, but definitely sectarianism).

The problem could be more nationalistic than racist. During the last World Cup, a few people were attacked in Scotland for wearing England tops (one person was actually wheelchair bound) and if this type of t-shirt is seen by the Police as having the potential to stoke up more of this type of behaviour, it needs nipping in the bud.

That said, I personally think it is a little over the top as well.

Preminitory?

6z0okl.jpg

I'm looking forward to watching the Chelsea -Man City match later; I hopes Bridge nuts the twunt.

Hope he does just like a mate did to me while playing indoor football this morning. Key words: Ball meets balls. Not pleasant. Now two hours have gone, the pain has almost gone away, but the memory remains ...:ouch:

Referee bottled it in the League Cup final: Vidic should have been sent off after 5 minutes, and I don't think Man U would have stood much of a chance after that. Another case of the biggest teams getting decisions sent their way.

Very good winning goal by Rooney though (and another effort off the post). It seems that lots of his goals recently have been headers. Wingman, do you know how many of his goals this season have come from his head? It must be an increase in previous years, however many.

national acrobat said:
Referee bottled it in the League Cup final: Vidic should have been sent off after 5 minutes, and I don't think Man U would have stood much of a chance after that. Another case of the biggest teams getting decisions sent their way.
He should have been - or at the very least, yellow carded. Are the ref's just plain scared of a Fergie backlash?

national acrobat said:

Very good winning goal by Rooney though (and another effort off the post). It seems that lots of his goals recently have been headers. Wingman, do you know how many of his goals this season have come from his head? It must be an increase in previous years, however many.

Think he's got 8 goals by headers so far this season - and all his last five goals have been headers.

I was very surprised to see the referee leave his cards in his pocket. Had really expected a red card there. However, I disagree that United wouldn't have stood a chance. Remember, Nani was sent off at Villa Park a few weeks ago, after 29 minutes, and the match was very even after that. Yes, United actually improved. So, despite an obviously wrong decision from Dowd, I don't think you can say he decided the outcome of the game.

As for United's performance - I think Owen deserves praise after his first half (too bad his hamstring is again causing him weeks on the sideline), Berbatov also was better than in many games lately. Carrick, on the other hand, had one of his worst days. Corners, free kicks and passing were all horrible. He improved after half time, though. Vidic also improved after a very shaky first 15 minutes. I think the second half was among the better United have played on this side of the new year.

Fun fact: Phil Dowd used to watch me play football for my Sunday team as his step-son was one of my teammates. He went from watching players like Gerrard, Giggs, Viera and Pires dominate the midfield to watching me blunder my way through a game ;)

Unfortunately this doesn't excuse his decision to not send Vidic off.

Also, Aaron Ramsey  :o

Jonszat said:
Also, Aaron Ramsey  :o

I saw that. Disgusting. However, the tackle wasn't that bad, both players went for the ball (at full speed). I think the bad outcome was mostly down to bad luck, and that the ref gave the red card mainly because of the outcome.

Hope Ramsey recovers fully.

Apparently there are photos that show that Ramseys leg was already broken before the tackle actually occured. I don't know about that, but his ankle was at a dodgy angle anyway before the tackle went in. Both he and Shawcross were unlucky to be involved in such an unfortunate event.

I had a feeling Ramsey could have gone on to be one of the top 5 or so players in the country. I think he is a remarkable talent, and it is such a shame to see something like this happen. Whether he returns anywhere near like he can play now, or begin to fulfil his potential is a big question. Eduardo is the man who can help him through it.

Anyways, Liverpool fan here. I think the race for 4th spot must be wonderfully fascinating for all the neutrals, but I hate it! I think Spurs, City and Villa seriously need that spot so they have something to show for their progress. City and Spurs in particular need it to have some kind of return on the money they have spent. We have been poor this year, and we really miss Alonso, but bias aside I think we will get 4th place. Aside from Man Utd away and Chelsea at home, we have a really nice run-in.

Eddies Wingman said:
I was very surprised to see the referee leave his cards in his pocket. Had really expected a red card there. However, I disagree that United wouldn't have stood a chance. Remember, Nani was sent off at Villa Park a few weeks ago, after 29 minutes, and the match was very even after that. Yes, United actually improved. So, despite an obviously wrong decision from Dowd, I don't think you can say he decided the outcome of the game.

I remembered the performance after Nani was sent off, but I think there's a big difference between a winger and the supposed 'rock at the heart' of the defence being sent off. Who would have replaced him: Neville, Carrick, no-one? Last time Man U had a decimated back 4, Villa beat them at Old Trafford, remember.
Of course Man U would always have had a chance of winning, but I would say that that decision turned Villa's chances of winning from about 80-20 to 50-50.

Wes Brown was in the bench. Had Vidic been sent off, a likely move would've been to substitute Brown for Park, and use Brown to replace Vidic.

Of course, it is also important to consider that at Villa Park, it was 1-1 when Nani was sent off. Thus Villa weren't interested in just defending. However, had Vidic been sent off at 1-0, Villa could've been very patient for the rest of the game and waited for openings for counter-attacks. I obviously have to agree the decision reduced Villa's winning chances. Still, the ref didn't win the match for United, as some (not yo, mind!) would say.

I think we pretty much agree.

I have to mention that QPR have appointed Neil Warnock as our 5th (maybe?) manager this season;the best thing about him is his nickname (Colin). Work out an anagram of his name and you'll see why.  :D

national acrobat said:
I think we pretty much agree.

I have to mention that QPR have appointed Neil Warnock as our 5th (maybe?) manager this season;the best thing about him is his nickname (Colin). Work out an anagram of his name and you'll see why.  :D

Bwahahaha. I needed a cup of coffee and two seconds of thinking to work that one out. Good I didn't have the coffee in my mouth in the moment it became clear to me, I would've sprayed the poor keyboard with it.

For those who don't want to spend time figuring out the anagram:
Colin Wanker
  ;)

Back