Official Football Thread

Forostar said:
Fuck Spain. Fuck England. Fuck Germany. Fuck USA.

*runs*  :D

Call Iran.  :P

iran_nuclear_bomb.jpg

(bad joke, i know)  :S

Albie said:
That's inevitable. And the ironic thing about Cole and his ankle is that Bridge could be his replacement - should Cole fail to gain full fitness (I say, could).

Bridge and Terry in the same back four. :D

Yep, although it's been suggested that Bridge might retire from international football to avoid such a scenario. Apparantly people have been urging John Terry to try it on with Emile Heskey's wife. :D

There was a little box in The Sun after the Sunderland - Liverpool "Beach-Ball-gate" incident, comparing Heskey's goal scoring credentials with the beach ball, gave me a right ol larf it did.

Forostar said:
Fuck Spain. Fuck England. Fuck Germany. Fuck USA.

*runs*  :D

Four teams you're afraid of? Your boys don't stand a chance then!  ;)

national acrobat said:
Yep, although it's been suggested that Bridge might retire from international football to avoid such a scenario. Apparantly people have been urging John Terry to try it on with Emile Heskey's wife. :D

There was a little box in The Sun after the Sunderland - Liverpool "Beach-Ball-gate" incident, comparing Heskey's goal scoring credentials with the beach ball, gave me a right ol larf it did.

Bwahahaha  :D

Wayne Bridge got a call from John Terry the other day. Terry said "Hey Wayne, I've lost my captain's armband. Can you have a good look under your bed for me please?"

Can Man United finally knock AC Milan out of Europe? The Rossoneri have been United's nemesis in Europe since the heroic, but futile, effort by the Munich survivors in 1958, but after winning 3-2 at the San Siro, United really have a good chance this time.

The first half saw one fluke goal by each team, but the second half was really great by United. Especially after Valencia came on, the Milan defense was under constant pressure for some time. But that goal from Clarence Seedorf ... Well done to him, you don't see that kind of heel flicks often!

Also a very nice shot by Lisandro to secure a 1-0 win for Lyon against Real Madrid. That's a perfect scoreline to make the second leg exciting.

Not unimaginable, he was dominant, he had a couple of really good saves. Replacing him isn't going to be as hard as replacing Schmeichel, but not much easier ...

Forostar said:
Van der Sar prolonged his contract.

Is he still playing for the national side? He's retired and returned so many times I can't keep track.

Eddies Wingman said:
Not unimaginable, he was dominant, he had a couple of really good saves. Replacing him isn't going to be as hard as replacing Schmeichel, but not much easier ...

It's tough to replace a good keeper, and for a side challenging the League and European titles I don't think the answer is to 'grow your own', like Foster or Kuzsack, but to bite the bullet and spend 20mil on a proven, 30 yr old and have him at the top of his game for the next 5 years.

national acrobat said:
It's tough to replace a good keeper, and for a side challenging the League and European titles I don't think the answer is to 'grow your own', like Foster or Kuzsack, but to bite the bullet and spend 20mil on a proven, 30 yr old and have him at the top of his game for the next 5 years.

That's probably going to be the solution in the end. However, I think it is a good thing that Foster and Kuszczak have had their chances, though. By letting them, Ferguson shows the younger goalkeepers in the club that if they train well and are determined enough, they will have a chance at making the first team - at least as a 2nd goalkeeper - and at the same time, Foster and Kuszczak have gained valuable experience which will allow them to make a good career in another club once they move on. United's youth policy has that as an explicit goal - players that go through United's academy or are brought in from other clubs as young players, should always be able to play on a level high enough to make a living from it. Only a few will make it to the first team, obviously - but the number of players in the Premiership and Football League that have advanced through the United academy isn't small. However, goalkeepers aren't very well represented in that statistic ... and both Foster and Kuszczak were bought, they did not come through the academy. Currently there are four youngsters knocking on the door, Ben Amos being the only one to have played for the first team - one appearance in the League Cup. I think he will be promoted to third goalkeeper when VdS retires.

Of course a club the size of Manchester United needs to have a top class goalkeeper, so when EVdS retires, Ferguson will probably spend good money on a good and proven goalkeeper. Kuszczak or Foster will probably leave, I don't think they both are patient enough if they don't get the chance to take over for the Dutchman.

Eddies Wingman said:
Can Man United finally knock AC Milan out of Europe? The Rossoneri have been United's nemesis in Europe since the heroic, but futile, effort by the Munich survivors in 1958, but after winning 3-2 at the San Siro, United really have a good chance this time.
If they can't see off Milan from the platform of a 3-2 away win, they never will.

Agreed. This is a golden opportunity to see off this black and red ghost. However, I dare not take anything for granted. But since even 1-2 will see United through, I will sleep a lot better the night before the 2nd leg than I would if it was 2-2.

Forostar said:
Unfortunately, no.

Anyone good his replacement, or a weak link in the team?

Eddies Wingman said:
Agreed. This is a golden opportunity to see off this black and red ghost. However, I dare not take anything for granted. But since even 1-2 will see United through, I will sleep a lot better the night before the 2nd leg than I would if it was 2-2.

That's just the sort of match Man U could lose, or win 3-0; I for one wouldn't bet on it.

national acrobat said:
Anyone good his replacement, or a weak link in the team?

Ajax keeper Stekelenburg, but I don't find him such a good replacement. I like some younger guys better but the coach decides. ;)

But it's difficult to step in Sar's shoes, anyhow. I hope Stekelenburg will feel confident enough and who knows what will happen.

If you think the Dutch will have difficulty in replacing Sar, try seeing it from an English point of view. Aside from Seaman (who could only be judged as very, very good, not world class), England have yet to find a decent replacement for Shilton - who retired from international football after the 1990 world cup. Up to then, it was almost guaranteed that England's number 1 was also the world best. Think about it, Banks, Clemence, Shilton.......and then Chris Woods. :huh:

Back