Group D
Cameroon
Gabon
Zambia
Tunisia

*Withdrew following an attack by rebels on the team bus

2010africacupofnations.jpg

Team of the Beast 2009/2010

1. FC Mainz and Vfl Wolfsburg both lost today, and thus share the title!

9 VfL Wolfsburg     18 6 6 6 33:35 -2 24
10 1. FSV Mainz 05 18 6 6 6 23:26 -3 24

PS: Sporting Gijon join the list

Sporting Gijon lost 3-2 against Atletico Madrid today and are the third club on the Team of the Beast 2009/2010 list.

9  Sporting Gijón  18  6  6  6  20  20  +0  24

Villarreal will join if they draw against Valencia, but right now Valencia are 2-0 up after 30 minutes.

I know why it is silent in this topic. The performance of a certain club from Manchester might contribute to that.

*runs away from the Wingman*  :D

What? 2nd in the league at this time of year is quite standard from United, isn't it? (OK, 3rd after Arsenal beat Bolton tonight).

Besides that, I'm one of the two who have posted here since New Year's Day. I don't feel I'm the one who should take the blame for why this topic is quiet  :uhm:

United have been almost as terrible as Liverpool recently.

Speaking of which we've just played as well as we have done all season in a 2-0 win against Tottenham (which wasn't that good) but was a marked improvement over recently. Should've more too. Kuyt grabbed both goals which is good because it means I'll forget his horrible miss on Saturday against Stoke.

How are things with Hertha Per?  *waves*
Still going strong in Europe, not? I enjoy reading about Van Gaal @ Bayern. He's having some trouble with the big men of the club, hehe.

Feyenoord is 4th at the moment with only two points behind Ajax. A third place would be excellent, but a fourth too of course. Especially when you look at the recent crap seasons of previous years.

Jonszat said:
United have been almost as terrible as Liverpool recently.

Speaking of which we've just played as well as we have done all season in a 2-0 win against Tottenham (which wasn't that good) but was a marked improvement over recently. Should've more too. Kuyt grabbed both goals which is good because it means I'll forget his horrible miss on Saturday against Stoke.

If I shall be honest, I agree to some extent. Since early December, United have had a few dreadful results (the defeats against Fulham and Leeds, of course, but the draw at Brum was also a crap game). The defeat against Aston Villa I don't find that disturbing. Villa were class in that game and United were gambling with the defense.

I wouldn't worry too much about the defeat at CoMS, though. It was one of those games where the opposing goalkeeper saves everything you throw at him, and in addition, the penalty City got should really have been a free kick outside the box. The last 30 minutes, United rolled over City, and that anyone had the guts to name anyone but Shay Given as Man of the Match is beyond me. Tevez? Sure, he was good, but some are too carried away by the fact that he scored twice. One was a penalty which shouldn't have been given (and the only City player who deserves credit for it was Bellamy, he did well to get ahead of Rafael - forcing him to hold him).

Anyway, with most injured players soon returning (in December, our regular central defenders were Michael Carrick and Darren Fletcher for fuck's sake) and the team still able to pull of performances like the last 30 against City, I am really not that worried. The other top teams have also had plenty of crap matches.

Forostar said:
How are things with Hertha Per?  *waves*

Hertha won! Unbelievable, isn't it? Second victory this season. Suddenly there is hope we'll stay in the first league...

Talking of the Bolton/Arsenal game, it highlights the need for a shake up in the game. Cricket has used for the last few years (at English County level at least - and now at Test level) what they call a referral system - whereby if a decision by the umpire against the team is deemed incorrect by this team, it can be referred to the third umpire for verification. Each team has three correct referrals per innings. And it works.

Had this system been deployed by football, Bolton could have referred the Gallas/Davies incident as it happened for review to a TMO, Gallas would have been red-carded and Arsenal would not have scored that second goal. No-one can categorically say if it would have affected the end result, but it would have made the for a fairer result as we don't want those tackles in the game - it could so easily end a players career.

It could be a good idea, yes. Of course, many football people are conservative and this would no doubt upset many of those conservative people - but one has to face the fact that the game is a lot faster now than, say, 30 years ago, not to say when the rules were written. Discussions about referee decisions are so frequent now it's actually becoming annoying. (And here is a bit of criticism for Sir Alex from a United fan: He should also keep in mind that referees are human beings and do mistakes, just like players and managers do. There is no need to give the ref hell every time an important decision goes in United's disfavor).

If this third umpire (I guess in football the so-called "4th official" would have this job) has access to immediate video replays of the situation, which is the case in most games at top level, one can easily avoid that games are turned by decisions that are obviously wrong. I can take three, four blatant examples from United games:

- The offside against Paul Scholes in the Champions League game against Porto in 2004. He was two meters onside.
- The goal Tottenham scored from the half-way line at Old Trafford in 2005, which the referee and assistants didn't see was in.
- The penalty Wayne Rooney got against Arsenal in 2004 (yes, it was a dive) would instead have been a yellow card
- More recently: Manchester City's penalty on Tuesday would instead have been a free kick.

I think it's a good idea. Of course not for situations where the referee has to use judgement to decide whether to give a yellow card or not, for example, but in situations where one doesn't know if a foul happened inside or outside the box, or if the ball has crossed the line or not.

Of course, technology isn't perfect. Using Albie's example of Cricket; in the last Test Match between England and South Africa, the South African captain (Graeme Smith) appeared to edged the ball through to the wicketkeeper on 15, appeal was given not out by the on field umpire so England took it upstairs. On the TV the commentators all picked up on a clear noise through to the keeper but the Video Umpire hadn't got his volume turned up so he didn't he the snick. Smith then went on to make 105 and produce a match-winning knock for his team.

I am in favour for it on goal line incidents in particular though.

Eddies Wingman said:
I think it's a good idea. Of course not for situations where the referee has to use judgement to decide whether to give a yellow card or not, for example, but in situations where one doesn't know if a foul happened inside or outside the box, or if the ball has crossed the line or not.
I also think that it could be used for foul play anywhere on the pitch - so as to hopefully put an end to those cynical tackles. The other advantage of been able to appeal against a referee decision for foul play (or not) would be that players booked/red carded can be cleared of the offence. For example, the red card that Darren Fletcher got against Arsenal for that tackle (which was legit) in the Champions League semi would not of stood.

In fact, I would go the whole hog and allow teams to appeal against any decision made by the ref - but limit it to only two per half and only the captain can appeal. 99.9% of those contentious decisions are not as common to allow for more appeals than just the two. Had it been introduced a while back, France would not be in South Africa this summer.
And.....

Who'd of thought Leeds could be deemed a giant killing side. ;)

hello sir,

i am pearl jams,

Exactly, Milan were on top form in that match where as United were rubbish. Just like the game against Roma last round, they were shite and United were probably the best we've played all season. It's not like you'd expect Milan to beat Roma by ten goals or something based on those two results.

Final should be good though, certainly much better than if Chelsea had got there. In a way I'm actually relieved I can watch it without caring .

simulation credit auto

'm certain they'll be back, but football goes in cycles and the signs are there that United aren't quite the force they used to be. ...

Defending African champions Egypt successfully regained its title for the 7th time after beating 4-time champions Ghana 1-0 in the 2010 Africa Cup of Nations Final in Luanda. Mohamad Nagy, better known as Gedo, scored the game's only goal in the 85th minute and during the trophy presentation three of Egypt's players have been awarded; the Player of the Tournament went to Ahmed Hassan, the Goalkeeper of the Tournament went to Essam El-Hadary and Gedo himself becomes the tournament's top scorer with 5 goals.

EgyptianFootballAssociation.jpg

egypt2010africancupofna.jpg

Odds for the World Cup:

Spain 4
Brazil    5
England 11/2
Argentina 9
Italy         10
Germany 12
Holland 14
France 16

From an England fan's perspective, the side I really fear is Spain, and to a lesser degree Holland. Germany would be a difficult tie, but more due to a mental block, I think. IMO Brazil aren't such a force as a lot of pundits make out, and the other three countries listed I can't see putting much of serious challenge up.
Disclaimer: I am well aware that England will reach only the Quarter Finals, but allow me some optimism please. Of course if Rooney was playing then as well as he is now, we could win the damn thing, but I'm sure a metatarsal will break somewhere along the way. The Americans have already incapacitated our left-back.

national acrobat said:
....but I'm sure a metatarsal will break somewhere along the way.
That's inevitable. And the ironic thing about Cole and his ankle is that Bridge could be his replacement - should Cole fail to gain full fitness (I say, could).

Bridge and Terry in the same back four. :D

Spain is my favourite to win.  I like the English team too and as usual I enjoy the German and the Dutch teams.  But Spain all the way.  Yay!

Back