Official Football Thread

national acrobat said:
German players have a reputation in England for being supremely arrogant, possibly due to Michael Ballack, more likely because they always beat us in penalties (and they know they will).

Yeah, Ballack is one of my least favourite characters in German media. I really can't stand him.

Wow check out some of these Champions League results from today!

Liverpool         1 Olympique Lyon    2
Debreceni VSC     3 Fiorentina        4

FC Barcelona      1 Rubin Kazan       2
Internazionale    2 Dinamo Kiev       2

Glasgow Rangers   1 Unirea Urziceni   4
VfB Stuttgart     1 Sevilla           3

AZ                1 Arsenal           1
Olympiak.Piraeus  2 Standard Luik     1

Perun said:
Actually, try to name a German media personality I like.
I saw a clip on TV the other day of a certain German being interviewed by Piers Morgan - and apparently this person was voted the most popular German by people of the UK. And I must admit, I don't know anyone who does not like this person.

And that person is....Boris Becker. How about him?

Hmm... he's not very present in the media anymore. But I admit that he has something naively likable to him.

He's right, though.

That, and winning Wimbeldon and stuff like that.

My interest in football hit its peak during the World Cup 1998 and Euro 2000. So as far I'm concerned, the only real football players are the ones who played in those tournaments ;)

Perun said:
He shot a few nice goals back in the day, but only when the ball happened to hit his foot.

I'm impressed...

I thought he was regarded by the Germans a World Class Striker.  :blink:

The KataKlinsmann...

Rotam said:
I thought he was regarded by the Germans a World Class Striker.  :blink:

The KataKlinsmann...

He is. I'm not representative for all other Germans.

Perun said:
He is. I'm not representative for all other Germans.

Of course...

I only thought, for the Germans, he was undoubtedly recognized has one of their greatest strikers.

The most likable German Footballer is Dietmar Hamman. Mainly because he spent 6ish seasons at Liverpool (who I do support) and helped us win that Champions League Final.

And I'm very, very happy (and overly egotistical) about Liverpool beating Man United on Sunday so I'm gonna leave before I go all loopy, happy and big-headed ;)

Yes well done to the scousers who played their best game of the season to beat United. From the whistle you could tell Liverpool were really up for it while United seemed a little lethargic. If Ferguson thinks he is going to win the league and champions league this season by continuing to pick Scholes, Berbatov and O'Shea then he is in for a disappointment. I've waited for Berbatov to finally start playing like a United player but it doesnt seem to be happening, only in fits and starts. I'd give Michael Owen an extended run in the team now that he is fully fit. And when weve got Fletcher and Hargreaves fit, together with Anderson and Carrick, Scholes has to be relegated to an impact substitute. Dont get me wrong he has been a wonderful servant for United but I just think his best is way behind him now.
As for OShea I have never seen a United player give the ball away as much EVER. I think he only passed to another United player twice all game. With Neville past his best why isnt Wes Brown getting a run in the team??
Anyway scousers enjoy the win and we'll see you at OT later in the season. Just dont bring Torres with you, he's a genuis.

I think BITV has said all that is needed. By the way, as if United losing to Liverpool weren't enough, Fredrikstad also lost on Sunday meaning we have to face play-off to avoid relegation. Against our historical rivals Sarpsborg - in Norway that's about as close as you could get to United vs Liverpool. At least it used to be, the two clubs haven't played each other at the highest level since the 70's.  When we've been up, they've been down and vice versa.

And I don't see why Albie should have any opinion on this - as far as I remember he's a Southend fan.

Albie's probably avoiding football: Southend are in dire straits, being forced into administration to avoid a winding-up order (link).

Back in the Village said:
Yes well done to the scousers who played their best game of the season to beat United. From the whistle you could tell Liverpool were really up for it while United seemed a little lethargic. If Ferguson thinks he is going to win the league and champions league this season by continuing to pick Scholes, Berbatov and O'Shea then he is in for a disappointment. I've waited for Berbatov to finally start playing like a United player but it doesnt seem to be happening, only in fits and starts. I'd give Michael Owen an extended run in the team now that he is fully fit. And when weve got Fletcher and Hargreaves fit, together with Anderson and Carrick, Scholes has to be relegated to an impact substitute. Dont get me wrong he has been a wonderful servant for United but I just think his best is way behind him now.
As for OShea I have never seen a United player give the ball away as much EVER. I think he only passed to another United player twice all game. With Neville past his best why isnt Wes Brown getting a run in the team??
Anyway scousers enjoy the win and we'll see you at OT later in the season. Just dont bring Torres with you, he's a genuis.
Scholes obviously can't hack it at the top any more. Also, even though people were raving about him at the start of the season, Giggs seemed anonymous in the match against Liverpool, and personally I don't think he's good enough now to compete against teams at the top of the Premier League and in Europe.

Back