Official Football Thread

Genghis Khan said:
Ireland vs France 0:1
Russia vs Slovenia 2:1
Portugal vs BiH 1:0
Greece vs Ukraine 0:0

France vs Ireland 1-1 --> France qualifies.
BiH vs Portugal 0:1 --> Portugal qualifies.
Slovenia vs Russia 1:0!
Russia (and Hiddink) did not make it! Slovenia qualifies for the 2nd time in history (1st time was in 2002).
Ukraine vs Greece 0:1. Greece also qualifies for the 2nd time in history (1st time was in 1994).
Algeria vs Egypt 1:0. Algeria qualifies for the 3rd time (1st time was in 1982, 2nd time in 1986).

Overview of all qualified countries, for the World Cup 2010 in South Africa:

Europe (13): Netherlands, England, Spain, Germany, Denmark, Serbia, Slovakia, Italy, Switzerland, Portugal, Slovenia, Greece, France                           

Africa (6): South Africa, Ghana, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Nigeria, Algeria             

Asia (4): Japan, North Korea, South Korea, Australia (first time North & South Korea on the same World Cup tournament!)

South America (5): Brazil, Chile, Paraguay, Argentina, Uruguay                   

North and Middle America (3): USA, Mexico, Honduras       

Oceania (1): New-Zealand

Ok it's not European country, but what about Argentina ?? Did she make it ?  :(

I'm very happy about Algeria as well, even that I like a lot the Egyptian team.

France have equalized against Ireland. And by equalized, I mean Henry caught the ball before passing it to Gallas to score. Urgh...

Edit: And Argentina are through.

Jonszat said:
France have equalized against Ireland. And by equalized, I mean Henry caught the ball before passing it to Gallas to score. Urgh...

That sucks!  :mad:

Poor Ireland, they almost made it.

Forostar said:
Just read that post well. :)

Muchas Gracias   B)

I think I'll be an Argentinian this time -I saw the Kusturica's documentary lately por de la mano de Dios

-->Here's an excellent performance by Manu Chao regarding Maradona's legacy*  (potpourri with Me Llaman Calle)

*featuring in the ost

Viva Diego  :D Viva La France :yey:

I'm really sorry for the Irish team who has been amazing all along that match. They do not deserve that.
:(

Albie said:
Am I the only one who does not really care that the Irish have not made it?

Am I the only one who is not surprised by this comment, made by someone who always stresses he is unmoved when a country from the British Isles goes out (unless it's England), even when one of those countries goes out in a very unfair manner.

Forostar said:
Am I the only one who is not surprised by this comment, made by someone who always stresses he is unmoved when a country from the British Isles goes out (unless it's England), even when one of those countries goes out in a very unfair manner.

Foro, that was needlessly rude.

I'm not making this up, seriously. I am getting annoyed by this pattern. So I felt I wanted to mention this.

I could remove the post if it's really out of line, though it might be better to see what Albie himself has to say about it.

I guess I should have put it this way:
Albie, maybe you'd like to explain why you are never moved by sad events in your neighbouring countries?

You could have been more polite, Foro. And why do you think we would want the post deleted?

And maybe Albie can't care for everything. Do you really expect everybody to get deep into everything? I'm sure there are things you don't care about either.

I cannot be unmoved when millions of people are sad in a neighbouring country, especially not when they had the idea they were so close to qualification. I like my neighbours and would have been very happy for Belgium if they would have qualified.

I have trouble understanding the opposite attitude of Albie (which is IMO at least as impolite as my post), especially when it happens more than once, and when a country (in deep financial crisis) misses the tournament, the way it went like yesterday.

Ah well, it's only football...

I make my apologies to you, Albie, if my remark was needlessly rude.

Wait, did I miss something? I always thought football was a competitive sport which is about one team winning and the other one losing. Wasn't there something about you supporting your team and putting it above all others? I've never known a football fan being sad about a rivaling team losing... quite the opposite, actually. Most football fans I know always rub it in your face that their team is the best and all others are suckers. And I always thought that was what being a football fan was all about- being happy about your team winning and the other team losing. I mean, back when the Netherlands didn't qualify for the World Cup (2002? 2006? Don't remember), German fans actually wrote a song about it and chanted it all the time. And when Borussia Dortmund wins against Schalke '04, Dortmund becomes a party town. Or is there something I didn't get?

Well, that's true.

Hmm, I guess I take the fate of other countries (and the opinion of other forummers) too serious then.

On the same topic but slightly different aspect...

There was a game between Uzbekistan vs Bahrain in the past that FIFA ordered replayed.  That is a precedent.  So far FIFA has chosen to say nothing.  Henry told the referee after the game that he handled the ball.  I do not think FIFA will change anything, but I do hope the official never refs another professional football game.

Just came back from Egypt...
I've heard that after the match Algeria -Egypt (held in Sudan) hundreds of Algerians
went wild in the streets, some with knives and such weapons, blessing a lot and massacring 7 Egyptians...

Did the news say something about it?

Back