Official Football Thread

I don't experience any feelings at all when i hear that we aren't going to South Africa. Ukraine is obviously better.

Portugal must have made major headway.  Last time I checked they were nowhere close to qualifying to the next round.  But I know what you mean about Portugal vs Netherlands.  Bad blood.  Red cards. 

Right now it looks like Portugal will play Slovenia in the next round.  I hope Slovenia qualifies.  I hope Bosnia qualifies and beats Greece (whose team I don't like at any rate).

What if Serbia plays Netherlands?  Remember those games?

No need to feel sorry for us. We don't deserve to go to the play-off when we can't beat Iceland at home or away, we didn't really outshine FYRoMacedonia at home either, and we ended equal on points with the weakest Scottish side since 1994.

There is, however, some sick theory that can send us to the play-off:

Sweden draw with Albania.
Portugal lose to Malta, with enough goals that Sweden go past them on goal difference.

This will leave Sweden as number two, and when the points against Malta are taken out of the calculation, they will have 10 points, like us. Then thanks to our 4-0 win against Scotland we will have our neighbours on overall goal difference  :D

Not going to happen. I just hope there's some good game on Norwegian TV tonight.

You mean

Eddies Wingman said:

and

Portugal lose to Malta, with enough goals that Sweden go past them on goal difference.

or is it:

Eddies Wingman said:

or

I mean and.

Portugal already have too many points against the rest of the teams when Malta are kept outside the calculation. This means that if they lose, and Sweden lose, Portugal will still be ahead of Norway on the "runner-up table".

We need Sweden to finish second, but not with a win, because then Sweden will be ahead of us on the "runner-up table". So, the only option is that both the aforementioned results happen.

Sweden - Albania, draw. Portugal - Malta, away win. With at least three goals.

Sounds very likely, uh?

I think it's pretty shameful of FIFA to announce that the play-offs will be seeded, to all but ensure the 'big' countries will be at the World Cup. Of course it was only announced recently when it was clear that France, Portugal et al. were struggling to qualify.

I heard about that. Such things should obviously be clear to everyone before the qualification even started. Yes, before the draw was made! This turnaround from FIFA is indeed shameful - but not very surprising. Blatter is so full of it.

I missed this completely. They suddenly changed the rules?

edit:

Tonight it is do or die for Argentina. The winner of the match Uruguay-Argentina will qualify.
With a draw Argentina sneaks in if Ecuador fails to beat Chile by at least five goals.

Forostar said:
There was a 6-1 win vs Yugoslavia in 2000, and I think a small victory vs Serbia on the last World Cup.

Check out this article for the second round:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_ ... cond_Round

I'm curious who is going to make it! I am hoping for a stunt of the Balkan countries.

(poor Norway, they almost made it).

I'm aware of that site.  I've had it saved under "favourites" over a year now.  ;)
Eddies Wingman said:
I mean and.

Portugal already have too many points against the rest of the teams when Malta are kept outside the calculation. This means that if they lose, and Sweden lose, Portugal will still be ahead of Norway on the "runner-up table".

We need Sweden to finish second, but not with a win, because then Sweden will be ahead of us on the "runner-up table". So, the only option is that both the aforementioned results happen.

Sounds very likely, uh?

It is more likely than Ukraine losing to Andorra, if you know what I mean.  :bigsmile:

Eddies Wingman said:
I mean and.

Sounds very likely, uh?

Go Sweden! (well, what with our ghastly performances in the summer, unlikely but whatever).

I must admit, I do feel for Croatia - 20 points in qualifying (and third) is more points than most of the teams that finished second (and certainly more than any team that finished third).

Back