Official Football Thread

Scholes obviously can't hack it at the top any more. Also, even though people were raving about him at the start of the season, Giggs seemed anonymous in the match against Liverpool, and personally I don't think he's good enough now to compete against teams at the top of the Premier League and in Europe.
[/quote]
Altho it pains me I have to agree. Giggs has always blown hot and cold throughout his career but he does now seem to go missing against the bigger teams. He probably had his worst game of the season against Barca last year and hsi performance against Liverpool wasnt great, although I think you can probably put that down to Benitez's tactics playing two defensive midfielders in Mascherano and Lucas who must have covered every blade of grass on the pitch and didnt give Carrick and Giggs the time to play.
Great to see Owen score a good goal last night. Althoug the opposition was lowly Barnsley, Owen still showed he had the qucikness of feet and mind to dribble through two defenders and slot the ball past the keeper. I just hope Fergsuon gives him the opportunity against Blackburn at the weekend.

Forostar said:
The silence is deafening. Albie, EW?
I've been busy. :D
And I'm not a Man U fan.

national acrobat said:
Albie's probably avoiding football: Southend are in dire straits, being forced into administration to avoid a winding-up order (link).
According to the chairman, "building blocks are in place to repay the debt." We shall see, come Wednesday. A 10 point deduction will put them down in the relegation zone - not what is needed at the moment.
Eddies Wingman said:
And I don't see why Albie should have any opinion on this - as far as I remember he's a Southend fan.
Actually, I will have an opinion (just the one, mind ;)). This is the Liverpool of 10-15 years ago - up for the Man U game, but crap for the rest of the season.

Albie said:
Actually, I will have an opinion (just the one, mind ;)). This is the Liverpool of 10-15 years ago - up for the Man U game, but crap for the rest of the season.

So, pretty much like United in the 70s and 80s. The one thing that helped Mancunians keep their spirit was the occasional FA cup win and the matches against Liverpool - which United won more often than one should expect from the strength of Liverpool in those days.

By the way, I could appreciate such a Liverpool. Crap for the rest of the season? Yes, please.

Goalie Mannschaft dead

The goalkeeper of the national German Mannschaft (probably) committed suicide.  :S

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009 ... rmany-died

Germany goalkeeper Robert Enke dies in apparent suicide

• 32-year-old died after being hit by a train
• Enke's two-year-old daughter died of a heart ailment in 2006

Robert Enke, the Hannover and Germany goalkeeper, has died after being hit by a train, according to police in Germany, who say they believe he may have committed suicide.

The 32-year-old's two-year-old daughter died of a heart ailment in 2006, and his club president Martin Kind has today said that the goalkeeper had been "unstable" recently.

Enke, who had eight caps for Germany and was expected to be a part of their squad for next summer's World Cup in South Africa, had been diagnosed with a bacterial stomach ailment several weeks ago but played last weekend for Hannover. He had not been selected for Germany's friendlies against Chile on Saturday and Ivory Coast on Wednesday.

After Hannover president Kind confirmed his death, German police released a statement saying a man had been fatally injured after being hit by a train on Tuesday evening.

"The victim is apparently national team goalkeeper Robert Enke from Hannover 96," ta media officer for the Niedersachsen police told Reuters. "The first police indications are that it was a suicide."

The German FA (DFB) also issued a statement which read: "The German team has learned of the death of Robert Enke with great shock. National team coach Joachim Loew and manager Oliver Bierhoff said 'we are all shocked, we are speechless'."

DFB president Theo Zwanziger said the federation was in mourning. "Our feelings go out to his wife and family.

I know this is going to surprise you all, but I never even heard of that guy.

Not to mention that if there's one city and/or club I really have no sentiments for whatsoever, it would be Hanover.

Lately... the entire season. They haven't won a single time in a Bundesliga match. They lost some of their best players that made them so good last season, and... well, that's all I can put my finger on.

So, Barca ran over Cultural Leonesa in the Copa del Rey playoff a few days ago. Saw that match and was astonished how Barca just got cracking in the second half and turned the score from 0-0 to 5-0 in about 20 minutes. And Messi as hot as ever (goal-scoring wise of course). And yay for Alarcon, knocking off Real Madrid!
If Barca don't manage to qualify for the Champions League (looks a bit iffy at the moment) it will be a huge scandal.

First round of UEFA final four

Ireland vs France 0:1
Russia vs Slovenia 2:1
Portugal vs BiH 1:0
Greece vs Ukraine 0:0

I was rooting for Ireland, Slovenia, BiH and Ukraine.  It is a good thing I don't bet on these things.  :D  Ireland played the worst given that it was a home game.

But France isn't the worst opponent you can meet.

Yesterday I saw the "friendly" Italy vs Holland: 0-0

Those Italians tried to f*ck us up, scoring with the hand. First the referee counted the goal (and the score 1-0 was on our television screen) but later -thank God- he and his assistant came to his senses.

This is what not to do when your country does not qualify (yet)

Forostar said:
But France isn't the worst opponent you can meet.

Yesterday I saw the "friendly" Italy vs Holland: 0-0

Those Italians tried to f*ck us up, scoring with the hand. First the referee counted the goal (and the score 1-0 was on our television screen) but later -thank God- he and his assistant came to his senses.

This is what not to do when your country does not qualify (yet)

What exactly happened in that youtube video? 

Slovakia beat the U.S. and that made me happy. You show the superpower that it can't play men's soccer!

Genghis Khan said:
First round of UEFA final four

Ireland vs France 0:1
Russia vs Slovenia 2:1
Portugal vs BiH 1:0
Greece vs Ukraine 0:0

I was rooting for Ireland, Slovenia, BiH and Ukraine.  It is a good thing I don't bet on these things.  :D  Ireland played the worst given that it was a home game.
He he! I was supporting Ireland too although I'm French. As usual the team I supported lost... but I must admit they weren't very good...
:S

Natalie said:
If Barca don't manage to qualify for the Champions League (looks a bit iffy at the moment) it will be a huge scandal.
By that Natalie, do you mean get through the league format into the knock-out stages?? It wouldnt be a scandal as such. Barcelona have not performed as well as they can so far in the Champions League and they really are in the so called "Group of Death". At least it keeps things interesting that any of the four teams in that group could still qualify for the next stage. I think Barca will qualify and will only get stronger as they progress. Whilst my heart wants Manchester United to go all the way I cant see it happening. I think the four semi finalists this year will be Chelsea, Arsenal, Real Madrid and Barca. On their day any one of those four could win it.

Back