Oasis

Can somebody gimme a two-sentence rundown on what the controversy is here? I know fuck all about Oasis and just know from headlines and social media scrolls that there's a reunion and for some reason it's not really Oasis.
In April 1996, at the top of their popularity, ticket prices for one show was 17,50£, at Knebworth were they headlined the same year, it was 22,50£.

In 2009, right before they broke up, floor standing tickets at Wembley cost 38,10£. Now in 2025 the ticket price for the same venue and standing, started at 151,25£.

I like their first albums, but come on these prices is ridiculous. Also no one knows who will be in the band as well. But definetly without some original members.

In April 1996, at the top of their popularity, ticket prices for one show was 17,50£, at Knebworth were they headlined the same year, it was 22,50£.

In 2009, right before they broke up, floor standing tickets at Wembley cost 38,10£. Now in 2025 the ticket price for the same venue and standing, started at 151,25£.

I like their first albums, but come on these prices is ridiculous. Also no one knows who will be in the band as well. But definetly without some original members.

Now, don't take me wrong, I'm not saying that the Gallaghers aren't cunts or anything (though entertaining ones, usually), but

- the prices look ridiculous, however even with the historic numbers you say, I kinda lack the comparison, cause:
a. the tickets seem to be much more expensive elsewhere than here in Czechia, for example and my guess would be UK is particularly bad, being possibly the most expensive country on the old continent in general
b. all prices have increased a lot because of inflation
c. the ticket prices have increased at particular since covid
d. it is a famous band doing a reunion that seemed unlikely

(for comparison, some EU fan of Guns n' Roses - which is another famously volatile and volatilely famous band that had a reunion with only some of the most famous members - wrote a historical comparison - 2006 was 45 EUR, 2010 - 70 EUR, 2017 - 120 EUR and 2023 - 250 EUR or even more? Which looks quite comparable, worse, actually)

Now, that's not really an excuse for general greediness and I believe youse that the tickets are overpriced and my enjoyment of the band is certainly lukewarm enough that I'll pass anyway, even if they actually went here in Prague after all and if the tickets were cheaper here somewhat (which they usually are). I just don't know how to assess how much are they actually overpriced and how much that's different from what everybody else's doing.

Also - would I give this amount to see Nightwish with Tarja (and Jukka, at least, so that the number of OG members would be higher)? Definitely. Rhapsody with Turilli and Lione? Definitelier. And those are fucking niche bands for nerds, not a band whose song was at least attempted by every single person in the world who's ever been drunk and held an acoustic guitar at the same time.

- from what I've read somewhere, many of the people rumoured to be present (Bonehead, Rowe, Archer, Sharrock) were members of the band before, although I suppose only Bonehead is officially confirmed to be there. And the drummers and basist used to change even back in the day, so, like, whatever. "I listen to Oasis because Alan White" said no-one ever.

Isn't it really weird he shares his name with the former Yes drummer?
And Alan White died on the birthday of the other Alan.

I actually first wrote that last sentence as "and the Alan White drummer isn't even my favourite Alan White drummer", but I thought it was kinda too obscure, lol

Something akin to

agSM0bS.jpg

That's a fake quote repurposed from the also fake Beatles quote, just to be clear, but the meme is still funny

Last edited:
Dynamic pricing in action, I saw €490 for standing in Croke Park. Oasis say their price was €150. Dynamic pricing should be punishable by sledgehammer.

Lots of people kicked out of the queue after a wait of over an hour. Accused of being bots and having 'suspicious browser activity.'

I've not heard anyone in real life mention that it's not really Oasis. My guess is that the amount of people that actually give a fuck who's playing the drums is quite small.

My brother and 10 of his mates tried to get tickets. They had at least one device each and some associated partners also trying, some joining the queue 30mins before the onsale time. Not one of them got tickets. A couple got through only to get confronted with €300+ for standing, which they refused to pay. One guy was quoted €2000 for 4 tickets. Madness.

I heard that presale tickets for Wembley were being sold on resale sites for £6000 immediately after they were bought. Just had a look on Viagogo myself, there's tickets for almost £5000. Stubhub has 100s of tickets for each gig for close to £1000.

I'd like a bit of government intervention, please.

Apparently it was made illegal in Ireland to sell tickets for more than face value but a quick search brought up Ticombo, a resale site selling Croke Park tickets for over £1000. Ticombo boasts of having received the Seal of Excellence by the EU Commission. These sites should be illegal, not given fancy fuckin seals.

One of the profiles selling Croke Park tickets was a verified Trusted Seller. I clicked into the profile and find that the profile, Global World Sports Events is selling quite a few Oasis tickets and also charging £900 for Liverpool vs Real Madrid next year, among other sporting events. This is a professional, certified, verified ticket tout, a cunt of the highest order and 'trusted' and facilitated by a company deemed 'excellent' by the EU Commission.

Why is this legal? Why is it facilitated by the likes of the EU Commission? The whole thing disgusts and astounds me. Ban these platforms, ban selling of tickets for more than face value on official platforms, ban any online platform from resale until a certain amount of time after the initial sale. The black market will never die but ye could certainly diminish it from its current diabolical status.

Also, how easy/difficult would it be for a big band to make a stand? No Ticketmaster, no resale nonsense.

Pretty sure Maiden is the only big gig I'll be concerned about going forward after recent experiences. Any involvement in securing tickets for big gigs always leaves a nasty taste in the mouth so fuck the lot of them.

Dynamic pricing in action, I saw €490 for standing in Croke Park. Oasis say their price was €150. Dynamic pricing should be punishable by sledgehammer.

Lots of people kicked out of the queue after a wait of over an hour. Accused of being bots and having 'suspicious browser activity.'

I've not heard anyone in real life mention that it's not really Oasis. My guess is that the amount of people that actually give a fuck who's playing the drums is quite small.

My brother and 10 of his mates tried to get tickets. They had at least one device each and some associated partners also trying, some joining the queue 30mins before the onsale time. Not one of them got tickets. A couple got through only to get confronted with €300+ for standing, which they refused to pay. One guy was quoted €2000 for 4 tickets. Madness.

I heard that presale tickets for Wembley were being sold on resale sites for £6000 immediately after they were bought. Just had a look on Viagogo myself, there's tickets for almost £5000. Stubhub has 100s of tickets for each gig for close to £1000.

I'd like a bit of government intervention, please.

Apparently it was made illegal in Ireland to sell tickets for more than face value but a quick search brought up Ticombo, a resale site selling Croke Park tickets for over £1000. Ticombo boasts of having received the Seal of Excellence by the EU Commission. These sites should be illegal, not given fancy fuckin seals.

One of the profiles selling Croke Park tickets was a verified Trusted Seller. I clicked into the profile and find that the profile, Global World Sports Events is selling quite a few Oasis tickets and also charging £900 for Liverpool vs Real Madrid next year, among other sporting events. This is a professional, certified, verified ticket tout, a cunt of the highest order and 'trusted' and facilitated by a company deemed 'excellent' by the EU Commission.

Why is this legal? Why is it facilitated by the likes of the EU Commission? The whole thing disgusts and astounds me. Ban these platforms, ban selling of tickets for more than face value on official platforms, ban any online platform from resale until a certain amount of time after the initial sale. The black market will never die but ye could certainly diminish it from its current diabolical status.

Also, how easy/difficult would it be for a big band to make a stand? No Ticketmaster, no resale nonsense.

Pretty sure Maiden is the only big gig I'll be concerned about going forward after recent experiences. Any involvement in securing tickets for big gigs always leaves a nasty taste in the mouth so fuck the lot of them.

That's absolutely fucked up and I'm sorry to hear that, mate. Disgusting. I never paid for tickets more than face value and the two times I resold tickets because I couldn't attend, it was actually for less than what I bought them for (yeah, I'm stupid that way, but my conscience wouldn't let me resell for much higher than the face value anyway)

But the fact that now it's happening via official channels is just sickening. Fuck that. Honestly, I'm boycotting that - even if I could afford it, I'm not playing along even if it was somehow a ticket that was actually a time machine and I could see Zeppelin in their prime or something. Just on principle. You're right that for all the often nonsensical regulations that both EU and the local government have been spitting out recently, this is something that could definitely use a more controlled environment. Honestly, I'm a lawyer and I didn't even know this was possible until now (because of consumer protection that gets more and more strict with every passing year and so on).

That's absolutely fucked up and I'm sorry to hear that, mate. Disgusting.
Don't cry for me, I am already dead.

I'm not massively distraught at missing out on Oasis tickets in particular, more the general state of play. Obviously there are more pressing issues in the world but access to the arts (and sport) is important and it seems that profiteers are being allowed to piss all over people.

I never paid for tickets more than face value and the two times I resold tickets because I couldn't attend, it was actually for less than what I bought them for (yeah, I'm stupid that way, but my conscience wouldn't let me resell for much higher than the face value anyway)
Same as that, never paid more than face value I don't think and certainly never sold for more than face value.
Honestly, I'm a lawyer and I didn't even know this was possible until now (because of consumer protection that gets more and more strict with every passing year and so on).
I wonder if it differs in different territories. The UK being the failed state that it is, I wouldn't be surprised if consumers get screwed harder here than elsewhere

Isn't it really weird he shares his name with the former Yes drummer?
And Alan White died on the birthday of the other Alan.
And incidentally, on his 50th as well.

But yeah, prices getting out of control. Maiden is the only band I could pay, say, 150-200 euros and even that would have to include setlist swarming of rarities.

It seems like some promoters have promised the band quite alot of money.

I'm no expert, but if Noel earns more, doesn't that mean that he will also have to pay more in the divorce?

But I won't be going to the concert anyway. I've have never understood it when they were described as musically original. The Beatles were.

I don't know what is worse. Them playing it or 'metalheads' singing along… Anyway it's a sacrilege how Kirk play the Gary Moore and Peter Green iconic Gibson Les Paul.

I'm baffled as to why people will willingly put themselves in debt by paying those inflated prices for a concert ticket. I'm going to two festivals next year and paid less than some Oasis fans paid to see them once. Absolute suckers. Imagine being ripped off and being happy about it?

I'm baffled as to why people will willingly put themselves in debt by paying those inflated prices for a concert ticket. I'm going to two festivals next year and paid less than some Oasis fans paid to see them once. Absolute suckers. Imagine being ripped off and being happy about it?
A lot of fans going to these Oasis gigs, and stadium gigs nowadays in general which are usually over £100, aren't frequent concert goers and this will be seen as basically a once in a lifetime, or at least a once in a generation, event for them. Basically equivalent to the Eras tour but for 90s lads. Oasis are pretty much worshipped as the greatest living artists in certain quarters particularly here in England and the big reunion has been teased and anticipated for years at this point, to the target audience (which is certainly very large given that all the dates sold out immediately in spite of the price-gouging) money is no object on this occasion.

Back