NOW WATCHING

So I've been watching A LOT of shit lately. I have to while I can, before the semester ramps up with tests, projects, midterms and the like.

Not surprisingly there is a lot of 9/11 stuff coming out on Netflix and I've been watching most of it. I did not watch World Trade Center or United 93 when they were released. They felt, um... "too soon," and blatant pro US propaganda. Still haven't seen WTC (with Nicolas Cage), but I did watch United 93. It's not bad, but as I suspected, it is cringey "go us go." We have to keep in mind we have NO idea what exactly went on on that flight. So while it is "based" on a true event there are no survivors to serve as consultants on the veracity of the events. The only "real" things here are the phone calls made.... that's about it. The rest is artistic license aka fiction.

Also watched WORTH, with Micheal Keaton and Stanley Tucci. THIS is the kind of movie they couldn't make 20 years ago. You know, one that takes a CRITICAL look at what happened. In this case we see what happened to the families of the victims and the compesnation fund the government set up to avoid/off set lawsuits. It portrays the government as heartless and it also doesn't shy from being critical of the victims' families either. They focus on two cases (obviously not the only ones like this, but... movie) One of a gay man, who's husband wasn't entitled to any compensation due to state laws at the time that didn't recognize gay marriage and the victim's family is in denial insisting they are "roommates." The other one is of a fireman, you know, a "hero" who had a mistress and two kids out of wedlock who technically had a right to the compensation money. A good watch.

Finally (so far) I watched 9/11: Turning Point. A docuseries about what happened before, during and obviously after 9/11. They go back to 1988 with the Soviet exit in Afghanistan, US support of Bin Laden and the other Mujahadin, the first attempt on the WTC in '93, 9/11 and the shit show that were the next 20 years. VERY interesting.

furty_onesheet_1400x2100.png

Watched "Malignant," yesterday. Oh lordie, it has to be the best triple A, B-movie schlockfest of the year. James Wan definitely did something different here. It starts very by-the-numbers haunted house horror, then you get a really cool concept where our protagonist is transported to crime scenes and can witness the murders. Then it just dials up the ridiculous, but somehow it works. It's a blast. You'll laugh most of the way through, it's very Evil Dead 2. I really don't want to say more, because I don't want to spoil it at all. Watch it.

Watched "Malignant," yesterday. Oh lordie, it has to be the best triple A, B-movie schlockfest of the year. James Wan definitely did something different here. It starts very by-the-numbers haunted house horror, then you get a really cool concept where our protagonist is transported to crime scenes and can witness the murders. Then it just dials up the ridiculous, but somehow it works. It's a blast. You'll laugh most of the way through, it's very Evil Dead 2. I really don't want to say more, because I don't want to spoil it at all. Watch it.

It's reminded me alot of those Italian Horror/Thrillers from the 60's & 70's where it just goes batshit crazy in the last 1/3 of the movie.

On the last episode of The Terror which has been a fantastic watch. Brilliant performances with many of the characters portrayed with plenty of shades of both light and dark making them feel believable and resulting in me actually giving a shit about what happens to them.

I watched Some Kind of Monster on Netflix, for first time last week. I was impressed from the depth of exposure they allowed on record. Quite a bold and daring move. Same goes for the 3-years sessions they went through as a band. I felt right there why Maiden never made it the way that Metallica did.
First and foremost they left their comfort zone big time at least twice. Second I sense that they were functioning more as a team (i.e. James -Lars duality) in contrast with Maiden's Steve & Co. structure. Third, it seems they had more "modern" management. Regarding the last one, I am curious; did they change management at some point or they had the same guys all along?

I watched Some Kind of Monster on Netflix, for first time last week. I was impressed from the depth of exposure they allowed on record. Quite a bold and daring move. Same goes for the 3-years sessions they went through as a band. I felt right there why Maiden never made it the way that Metallica did.
First and foremost they left their comfort zone big time at least twice. Second I sense that they were functioning more as a team (i.e. James -Lars duality) in contrast with Maiden's Steve & Co. structure. Third, it seems they had more "modern" management. Regarding the last one, I am curious; did they change management at some point or they had the same guys all along?

Tottenham Hotspur v. Chelsea COYS!
Hopefully they won't disappoint me like my NY Giants did against Washington Thursday night. But Spurs being Spurs...

First time I'd seen it, I really enjoyed it too. The ending was maybe a bit predictable but overall it was solid. Brutal and harrowing, with some excellent action scenes.

Not a big fan of the film, as I discussed a few years ago:

I'm new to this site and have read your review from a few years ago several times. You pointed out things that I never would've thought of such as the following,"With the single exception of the SS commander in the end, every German soldier in the film spoke German with an atrocious American accent." Me being an American I never noticed that. Not that I could tell anyway. My main gripe was when the Tiger engaged the 3 Shermans. Unless, as someone pointed out on youtube, the crew was inexperienced, an encounter such as this wouldn't have happened that way. The Tiger would've picked out the most dangerous threat(Fury) and then the other 2. And don't get me going on that point blank shot at Fury when the Tiger's shot hit the log:) I'm a history buff so I am a bit of a nit picking prick when it comes to films such as this:) But I get why people like the film.

Last edited:

Yeah, feel the same about the Swedish speaking in Titanic - sounds like the guy had 2 minutes to learn his line and always gets a laugh when people watch the film around here. But hey, it's Hollywood and they don't know any other language than English and a bit of Mexican Spanish at most!

Yeah, feel the same about the Swedish speaking in Titanic - sounds like the guy had 2 minutes to learn his line and always gets a laugh when people watch the film around here.

I don't remember that! When does that happen?

I'm new to this site and have read your review from a few years ago several times. You pointed out things that I never would've thought of such as the following,"With the single exception of the SS commander in the end, every German soldier in the film spoke German with an atrocious American accent." Me being an American I never noticed that. Not that I could tell anyway. My main gripe was when the Tiger engaged the 3 Shermans. Unless, as someone pointed out on youtube, the crew was inexperienced, an encounter such as this wouldn't have happened that way. The Tiger would've picked out the most dangerous threat(Fury) and then the other 2. And don't get me going on that point blank shot at Fury when the Tiger's shot hit the log:) I'm a history buff so I am a bit of a nit picking prick when it comes to films such as this:) But I get why people like the film.

See, that's a very different point of view. I wouldn't even know or care about how a Tiger relates to a Sherman. I understand your annoyance, though, it's basically the same thing under a different pretext.

See, that's a very different point of view. I wouldn't even know or care about how a Tiger relates to a Sherman. I understand your annoyance, though, it's basically the same thing under a different pretext.
I agree with you. Thanks for giving me a different perspective. Never would've thought of thought that.

Last edited:
I don't remember that! When does that happen?

The guys Jack wins the ticket off in the beginning are Swedish, and there's also a Swedish guy who is waiting for his friend when Jack shows up on the boat instead (and that line is probably the worst).

Started watching Doom Patrol on HBO Max recently and I’m hooked. Delightfully weird in a smart way, like the Legion show on FX was.

Back