NOW WATCHING

Spaldy

Trooper
I meant the first two live-action Bay-led movies. I find the '86 animated one like I find most cartoons from my childhood, absolute dribble. All of it. TMNT, Voltron, Thundercats, Silverhawks, G.I Joe, etc. They had great theme songs, great "transformation" sequences (He-Man, Voltron), and one or two good recycled action animations, but that's it. None of them aged well.
Can't agree with that. Transformers: The Movie is a legitimately good movie and not just for nostalgic reasons (although it was part of my childhood). It's also the best Transformers movie to date. The Bay movies are an abomination for many, many reasons but mainly for how he manages to completely misunderstand the characters (turning Optimus Prime from a noble hero to a brutal killer with no empathy for example).

Bumblebee is the best of the live action movies.

Onhell

Infinite Dreamer
Glad we can agree on Bumblebee though. I never watched the 86 movie as a kid, I saw it as a 20 something when my 30 something cousin bought it and made us watch it.

Spaldy

Trooper
Masters of the Universe: Revelation. Absolutely brilliant. A homage to the original series but not reliant on nostalgia. Kevin Smith's best work.FB_IMG_1627176524749.jpg

LooseCannon

Enterprise-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
Yeah, I loved it. Some really bold decisions that I think really added a lot to the He-Man canon. The animation was great - the He-Man transformation scene was awesome.

Onhell

Infinite Dreamer
I thought it was good. I mean, it is HE-MAN and the Masters of the Universe, not Teela Tequila and friends. So... I better start seeing He-Man in his own show.

LooseCannon

Enterprise-class aircraft carrier
Staff member
I thought it was good. I mean, it is HE-MAN and the Masters of the Universe, not Teela Tequila and friends. So... I better start seeing He-Man in his own show.
It's not called He-Man and the Masters of the Universe. It's called Masters of the Universe: Revelation. They dropped his name from the title for a reason.

Spaldy

Trooper
Personally I think it was a good move to shift the focus away from the traditional He-Man vs Skeletor routine and have more emphasis on the side characters. And that the story was basically a fetch quest gave us more time for character development.

And I'm sure we'll get a lot more He-Man in part two.

Edington

Let's Get Volatile
I've seen that there's been a fair bit of backlash to Masters of the Universe, mostly because Kevin Smith apparently lied to everybody and now I keep seeing his crying face everywhere. I'll probably give it a go at some point, at the very least the stellar voice cast has gotta make it worth watching, and as I don't have any nostalgia for the original whatever changes he's made won't mean much to me.

On a similar subject, I'm watching Transformers: War for Cybertron at the moment. It's... fine. Watchable and enjoyable enough, but a little extra life in the animation and voices would make it great.

Spaldy

Trooper
I've seen that there's been a fair bit of backlash to Masters of the Universe, mostly because Kevin Smith apparently lied to everybody and now I keep seeing his crying face everywhere.
It's been review bombed by a bunch of whiney manbabies because they made a girl the main character.

Onhell

Infinite Dreamer
Personally I think it was a good move to shift the focus away from the traditional He-Man vs Skeletor routine and have more emphasis on the side characters. And that the story was basically a fetch quest gave us more time for character development.

And I'm sure we'll get a lot more He-Man in part two.
I did like that. What I'm wondering is HOW we'll get more He Man in pt.2. Depending how that happens I may like this season more or less. I have high hopes.