NOW WATCHING

The Exorcist is my favorite movie AND book. FUCKING AWESOME. Best Horror movie EVER... EVER. I used to be a huge Horror movie buff, but in recent years I have lost interest. Mainly because newer movie equate horror with gore, but also, because most suck ass.

Just go back in time. Less gory, still lots of good films. I have seen many horror movies, and pure coincidence;
I borrowed The Exorcist this week from a collegue so I'll see it soon. An absolute must see film but for some reason I never saw it (I can tell you I have no rule that says; see the most famous first).

So I am newbie, looking forward to it! :)

When I was 14 my friends and I would rent horror movies and make fun of them and laugh all the way through. One day we rent The Exorcist and were ready to rip it to shreds... not even 5 minutes into the movie we all fell quiet and didn't say a word the rest of the movie :).

Saw it last night. It took a while to take off (just under 45 minutes) but then things really started to happen. Scary stuff.... Bit of uncomfortable, sudden ending, and it leaves much to the imagination. Quite a ride!

Ghost Rider 2: 0/5. Lousy on every level.

A Dangerous Method: 4/5. Great performances, good looking movie too. Could've been a bit deeper but I really enjoyed it anyway.

Saw it last night. It took a while to take off (just under 45 minutes) but then things really started to happen. Scary stuff.... Bit of uncomfortable, sudden ending, and it leaves much to the imagination. Quite a ride!

Right?! Love it :D Exorcist III is also good. Nowhere near the original, but it is the official sequel written by Blatty.

Ghost Rider 2: 0/5. Lousy on every level.

But, but, he pisses FIRE! :p

Psh, I could've told you that! And I didn't even see it :p. The one that was very disappointing was Silent House. It started VERY promising and quickly degenerated into shit. It starts as a home invasion story, transitions to ghost story and ends up being crazy bitch dealing with her issues story.... STICK TO ONE FUCKING STORY MOVIE!!! There were several standout scenes though, specially one with a Polaroid camera, very cool.

Watching "A Scanner Darkly", a great movie and one of the greatest rotoscopic animation movies of all time, right there with Heavy Metal and American Pop.

We Bought A Zoo. Cameron Crowe's latest and he'd be pleased to know it "had me at hello". Yes it was riddled with schmaltz but I didn't care about that, I cared about central characters. Fantastic, wholesome cinema 4/5.

Hunger Games.... Don't know what to say really. The books were... PHENOMENAL, I had high hopes for the movie. There were several things I liked: The lack of music, no voice-over for narration or internal monologue, the POV of Katniss and Woody Harrelson as Haymitch lol. Things I did NOT like: The pace, WAY too quick. Movie was freaking 2:15 long and it still moved too fast, didn't establish the characters well and you spend the entire movie asking yourself, "why should I care?" Also, while the lack of voice-over/internal monologue was cool, the director failed at establishing good backstory or otherwise explaining what is going on. I hope they do it in the following sequels, because the only reason I felt anything at all was remembering the scenes in the book and WHY THEY MATTERED.

For example (and this is no spoiler), when Katniss volunteers as a tribute in place of her sister the crowd instead of cheering her on they put three fingers to their lips and then up towards her. In the book it is explained that it is a sign of respect usually resvered for funerals (Jesus, I'm tearing up just remembering this...) which is forshadow of things to come (which are spoilers). In the movie it just makes you go "huh?"

People complained that for such a violent premise there is hardly any violence... True, for two reasons. If they had followed the book a bit closer it could have easily been an "R" movie and at the end of the day it is a "teen movie." Also, In the book most of the action is "off screen" since we are following Katniss.

Verdict? Overall ok flick.

I saw The Hunger Games yesterday. Didn't know anything about it beforehand, but I ended up enjoying it quite a bit. If you ignore the lack of solid world-building and backstory and just go with it, it's a well-made suspense flick. I also had the good fortune to see it with live commentary from a pair of teenage girls in the row behind. Seriously, who the hell says things like "watch out!" loudly in a movie theatre?

I've also been watching Sherlock, the new BBC adaption of Sherlock Holmes with a modern day setting. Really great series on the whole. You could probably find some faults with the plots, but the general atmosphere works and that's the most important thing for a show like this. Most of the fun actually comes from seeing Holmes and Watson - excellently played by Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman respectively - interact with each other. My only real complaint is the usual overuse of the Moriarty character, which I've never liked or seen the need for, but it works out alright. Holmes purists upset by the less than faithful versions of various adventures can at least have fun picking out the references to Doyle's stories.

21 Jump Street was much better than I was expecting, incredibly funny. Want to go see Case de Padre and Hunger Games.

The Cabin In The Woods. Best horror I've seen in years. Joss Whedon writes in a way that turns convention on its head, we know that going in yet we still end up amazed, surprised, thrilled and delighted by his take on the old tried and tested formula. Benefits greatly by a brilliant turn from Bradley Whitford. Drew Goddard directs with aplomb: 4/5.

Took my youngest daughter to Hunger Games.
She's that age and has been counting down the days.
I wasn't particularly looking forward to it, had some fear it would be some sort of Twilight schlock.
But I ended up rather enjoying it and Onhell has me thinking I should pick up the book.

Back