NOW WATCHING

I just started to watch the first season of Mad Men and I'm liking it a lot. The writing is top notch. My wife loathes it though since it's chauvinistic :p

Onhell said:
Does she know the time period it is set in? I mean c'mon!
Yes she does. She still hates it though... :)
Also:

reservoir.jpg

Reservoir Dogs - 8/10

One of the most stylishly shot films I've seen and lots of fun to watch especially because of the superb script. I cared much much more for the warehouse scenes than any of the flashback scenes though. Michael Madsen and Steve Buscemi were awesome.

Season 2 of Battlestar Galactica arrived today. I wish I'd ordered it earlier than I did because I want to finish watching it before Monday. As of Monday I'll have no time to watch it because my four month summer holiday comes to an end.

Black Wizard said:
Season 2 of Battlestar Galactica arrived today. I wish I'd ordered it earlier than I did because I want to finish watching it before Monday. As of Monday I'll have no time to watch it because my four month summer holiday comes to an end.

It's a great season of television and I reckon you will finish it before Monday ;)

I went to see the new Resident Evil movie in Imax 3D.  I heard bad reviews and a lot of people posted that it was horrible.  I liked it.  It was awesome in 3D.  It cost 17.00 buckaroos for one ticket.  All together with popcorn, 1 box of candy, 2 drinks and the 2 tickets....60.00 out the door.  I'm broke now..lol

Black Wizard said:
Best. TV series. Ever.

Been watching a lot of anime films lately... sneaked in a couple of live actions too.

totoro2_small.jpg

My Neighbor Totoro - 8/10

Heartwarming, magical, whimsical, incredibly adorable and cute --- which is pretty much par for the Hayao Miyazaki course.

It did seem pointless in the sense that there wasn't a story: The mother's illness wasn't explained and the reasons for moving to the country are left to the viewer's assumptions. There's a small conflict at the end that lends to the film having some semblance of plot, but it's really more like a series of related vignettes that depict the innocence and childlike wonder of the two sisters. In any case, it really didn't seem like it needed the elements of a conventional narrative since it was wonderful, fun and charming enough to watch as it is.

☉.☉☂

Also: Catbus rules.

fireflies_small.jpg

Grave of the Fireflies - 10/10

Heart = Crushed :( Anyone who doesn't feel either remorse or sadness while watching this is not human.

In terms of visuals, it's probably the most picturesque Ghibli film I've seen. The way the animators handled the use of light and shadows was amazing here. It's also one of the most affecting Ghibli releases in terms of story. So many scenes feel like punches to the emotional gut because they're so seamlessly tied up with endearing and lighthearted moments. Such a heavy and haunting film.

Lots of people compare Pixar to Studio Ghibli because both studios handle the elements of a great animated film so well while going beyond the stereotypes at the same time. However, until the time comes when Pixar is able to create a brave and powerful film such as this, Ghibli is still the benchmark for which animated films should be measured.

I saw these two Studio Ghibli classics above and only discovered after watching that they were shown simultaneously in Japan upon release as a double-feature. I thought that was genius since the films have such differing tones yet are similar enough to be perfectly complementary to each other.

perfectblue500.jpg

Perfect Blue - 8/10

Loved how the film was able to blur what was real and what was not in an almost Mullholland Dr. sort of way. The film started out typically enough, but gradually evolved into this dark and unsettling mystery/psychological thriller that pulled of that paranoid atmosphere brilliantly. I'm not exactly convinced how the mystery was resolved, but it's a gorgeous mindfuck of a film that I wouldn't mind watching again.

I got this because I read that Darren Aronofsky's upcoming Black Swan was somehow based on Perfect Blue. If that's really the case, then I'm really psyched for Black Swan now.

5cm.jpg

5 Centimeters Per Second - 7/10

The narrative can be boring and fascinating at the same time, but it drew me in any case. It's a sad tale about all the unfortunate things about love, and maybe I'm just a sucker for that type of thing: Loving the wrong person... or the right person but at the wrong time/place... unrequited love and moving on. I didn't feel it was heavy-handedly sappy or melodramatic. In fact, it came across as very subtle and reflective. Oh, and the animation is stunning, but I got over it pretty quickly.

darkcity.jpg

Dark City - 6/10

Oh hey it's the bald dude from The Crystal Maze! Dark City starts out interesting enough, but develops in a clumsy and uneven manner than the interest wears off after a while because of all the questions spinning in your head. It ends up feeling like a mix between The Matrix and The Truman Show. Eventually, everything comes together quite nicely, but the climax and ending just feel too weak to sustain the film's initial promise. It's still a stylishly shot neo-noir, which lines up with my taste, so that's good. And anything with Jennifer Connelly can't really be that bad in my book.

conversation.jpg

The Conversation - 6/10

I'm not sure what makes this film a great one. I find that it has a "cult status" as far as Coppola films are concerned considering most of his other classic films have both achieved widespread mainstream and critical acclaim. It's just not creepy/thrilling/intense enough to work for me. It's slow, subtle and tepid although it's pretty good in creating that paranoid and vulnerable atmosphere that builds up towards a nicely done ending. I also enjoyed seeing the various technology as well as how they were manipulating and analyzing the audio. Otherwise, not such a memorable viewing experience.

nausicaa.jpg

Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind - 5/10

Quite the disappointment. It could be the fact that I've been watching really good animes for the past several days. It could be because this type of heavy-handed sci-fi just isn't my thing. It could be because I've already seen Mononoke and this felt redundant. Either way, I found it too bland and boring. There was nothing about the animation that was noteworthy, the film had almost no light/funny/heartwarming moments in the way that the studio does so well, and there was nothing that made me care about the characters or the story in any way. Everything was sadly just too serious, dated and uninteresting. There was none of the magical and powerful type of Ghibli entertainment that would inhabit their later films.

Its worth the time.  Season 2 was great.  I know that many people liked season 3, but it seemed to drag a lot for me.  Season 4 was epic.

valacirca said:
Been watching a lot of anime films lately... sneaked in a couple of live actions too.

totoro2_small.jpg

My Neighbor Totoro - 8/10

Heartwarming, magical, whimsical, incredibly adorable and cute --- which is pretty much par for the Hayao Miyazaki course.

It did seem pointless in the sense that there wasn't a story: The mother's illness wasn't explained and the reasons for moving to the country are left to the viewer's assumptions. There's a small conflict at the end that lends to the film having some semblance of plot, but it's really more like a series of related vignettes that depict the innocence and childlike wonder of the two sisters. In any case, it really didn't seem like it needed the elements of a conventional narrative since it was wonderful, fun and charming enough to watch as it is.

LOVED that movie. Say it in my Japanese Religions course and after learning about all the religiosity and rituals embedded in daily Japanese life, that movie was pretty epic.

I just saw the latest Resident Evil movie. I HATED the first movie from deviating from in essential parts from the game. I HATED the second movie because it just flat out sucked ass. I didn't bother watching the third. So why did I submit myself to this one? Because my friend bought the tickets.

I REALLY enjoyed it. It is hands down the best of the ones I have seen. At this point the movie franchise is it's own universe mostly independent from the video games (certain zombies still make cameos) and not without it's flaws (how is Umbrella Co still able to function on an essentially dead planet?), but REALLY fun, some Matrix-esque parts and a kick ass sound track.

I saw two films, The Joneses and Solitary Man.  I don't think I've given away any key plot point with these two summaries.

The Joneses stars Demi Moore and David Duchovny.  Moore's character has three people working for her on undercover marketing.  The way the movie starts, the viewer believes that the four are a family.  They all display characteristics of social climbing and materialism.  Fairly early in the movie, it is revealed that the four are working for an agency that sells a variety of material goods.  Their day jobs consists of golfing, going to a hair salon, throwing parties, going to school, jogging, all of which are ploys to sell a variety of merchandise.  Everything is going well, until a variety of incidences happen and the happy four team unit begins to crack.  The movie is so much better than it sounds.  I highly recommend it and so does my neighbourhood, apparently, as it has been quite successful in my video store.

Solitary Man stars Michael Douglas.  The story is about a washed-up business man who for some reason has pursued a road to self-destruction, alienating his family and friends.  The only thing he still chaces is skirts, and we don't learn why until the end of the movie.  The story is good, if cliched, in those moments when we're supposed to believe that a 60 year old Douglas can convince a 19 year old to sleep with him.  There is plenty of talking, so this may not be your type of movie.  I'd give it an overall 3/5.

ettgs.jpg

Exit Through The Gift Shop - 7/10

I guess the birth of street art thing was okay, but the only thing really interesting was the art itself. Is this a documentary or a mockumentary? :blink:

robinhood.jpg

Robin Hood - 5/10

Technically very strong, but incredibly flat and lifeless. I couldn't get myself to care for any of the characters or the story at all...

valacirca said:
robinhood.jpg

Robin Hood - 5/10

Technically very strong, but incredibly flat and lifeless. I couldn't get myself to care for any of the characters or the story at all...

Agreed. Horrid movie, a crashing bore from beginning to end. Hope Ridley gets his form back for the Alien prequel.

I enjoyed Totoro as well, it is certainly a fun for all ages sort of movie.  We had our niece over for a few days and watched that and Iron Giant (also a teriffic movie that was marketed so horribly).

Finished Episode 5 of John Adams, great series, getting the next disc from Netflix shortly to finish it off.

Also watched the first episode of Terriers on FX, not bad, I'll give it another episode or two.

I just did some homework starting with that link.  Eventually, I was lead to Rotten Tomatoes and was surprized to learn that the original had 97% acceptance, while 'Aliens' received 100% acceptance.  Finally, those critics got something right.

Mad Men is sooooo good. I've just finished the 9th episode "Shoot" and Betty Draper was just amazing in this one. I hope there are others here who follow this show. Final scene of that episode is TV genius.

madmen1.jpg

madmen2.jpg

madmen3.jpg

Back