NOW WATCHING

Just watched The Bourne Ultimatum with Matt Damon and Julia Stiles. Good movie, no Die Hard 4, but good enough, much better than the second film, but then again, anything would have been better than the second film and it's incredibly shaky camera work.

Watched Evan Almighty on dvd last night, well, I guess it's a little okay, but the movie has so little to offer in terms of laughs, though it has some
nice message through the ARK thingy, but overall the fim performs in a lukewarm way, kinda inferior to Bruce Almighty. That 140 million budget would have made epic sized laughs but none here...

I saw the pirated version on the bus hehe, and yeah, have to agree, not that great, Carrell should get better roles.

I saw 4 movies Friday... no wait 2 complete movies and like 20 minutes of two others. My friend and I bought tickets to one and kinda sorta snuck into the other ones, the ones we caught 20 minutes of was because they were between showings. ANYWAY.

We watched Superbad and it is HILARIOUS, Teen comedy a la American Pie, but much funnier, definitely fouler hehe. It's the story of three high school friends in their last two weeks of school, your average losers who have one crazy night kinda like Harold and Kumar. So worth watching

The Second FULL movie we saw was War with Jet lee and Jason Stathem (The Transporter, Crank). The movie at first glance seems to be your average cop movie where the partner gets killed and the over guy avenges him... until you bump into some really cool plot twists, hell I never saw them coming, great movie.

We caught the last 20 minutes of Underdog (just for the fuck of it) and I regret it, TOTALLY a sappy kids movie with a flying CGI dog... ugh. And 20 minutes of the Simpsons. My friend hadn't seen it, so we snuck in until War started I was happy watching Spider Pig a 4th time hehe.

I'm waiting to go to the mall 2 minutes from my house. When The Simpsons comes there tix are like $3.25 for the afternoon shows!  :ok:

That beats $8.75 for a 7PM showing anyday!

The Simpsons Movie is genius.  'Nuff said.

A couple of nights ago i saw Pan's Labyrinth for the first time, and I loved it. Great mix between history and magic.

I went to see Rob Zombie's Halloween tonight.  I really don't like his movies.  The reason being is they are never scary enough for me.  Most of the time they are gruesome.  However this new version was pretty good.  A little scary, filled with GORE.  The audience laughed at some scenes, which I thought were funny as well (I'm demented)  The ending had everyone jumping with suspense.  I liked the fact that although it was a remake things were different which made it unique in it's own way.  Not recommended for childern.  I was amazed that some parent brought his little kids to watch this kind of film.  Everytime there was a sex scene he had them cover there eyes.  wtf! 

A notable mention goes to Danielle Harris.  (She sure has grown up)  I liked her in all the previous Halloween's and she does well in this film.

In the past month, it has been my pleasure to view Kiyoshi Kurosawa’s Kairo (translates to Pulse, although sometimes known as The Circuit), a psychological chiller belonging to the new wave of Asian horror that was birthed by the infamous Ring. The genre enjoyed its fifteen minutes of freshness and innovation, only to be set upon by hack directors attempting to ride on the coat tails of superior works. Then again, in any artistic movement, there are leaders and there are followers. For every Kairo and Whispering Corridors, there are countless undistinguished bores such as Cello, Gawi, Shutter, Ryeong and many more that simply aren’t worth mentioning.

You might be asking me what makes Kairo stand apart from the pack. After all, most of this Asian horror is just repackaging the same ol’ mainstream tripe with a new ribbon on top and selling it to Tool fans, so they have something to talk about with their little friends, earning and few more scene points in the process. The exotic is marketable, after all. Kairo uses the typical ghost story as an allegory for modern day alienation and communication breakdown, despite the omnipotence of technology and in this particular case, the Internet (yes, I’m aware of the ‘irony’ of it all).

The story concerns itself with a tight-knit group of employees at Sunny Plant Sales, located in Tokyo. The lead character, Michi (Kumiko Aso), expresses concern for one of the other workers, Taguchi (Kenji Mizuhashi), who has been working on a disk for the company for the past week. Unable to get any answer from his apartment phone, she decides to check up on him. After arriving, she finds him in an otherwise normal state, asking him for the company’s work disk. While fumbling around his desk looking for, and eventually finding the much needed disk, she returns to thank Taguchi, only to find that he had hung himself in the meantime. Although shocked by this sudden tragedy, and discussing why he had done such an act with the other employees, Junco (Kurume Arisaka) and Yabe (Masatoshi Matsuo), work continues onward for the group and looking through the disk, they find what resembles a dark, indistinct picture of Taguchi’s apartment with a certain figure in the left corner. Later on, Yabe receives a mysterious phone call intoning “Help me, help me”. Puzzled by these mysterious messages and the abruptness of Taguchi’s death, he decides to investigate his apartment, finding something…

Parallel to this slow burning storyline is an equally slow and cautious story involving a young economics student named Kawashima (Haruhiko Kato). Although not exactly a computer literate person, he decides to join in on the fun of the intrawebs. Having trouble setting up the dial-up software (this was made in 2001, before broadband was widely available), he gets treated to various error messages and a series of abstract web cam movements, concluding with a message, “Do you want to meet a ghost?” Confused by this, Kawashima turns off the computer in a huff and expresses his thoughts about computers and the intrawebs in two simple words: “Stupid crap!” Whilst asleep, the computer turns itself back on and starts dialling up leading to the rather strange website again. Throwing the computer off the desk, he figures it’s time to ask an expert. Back at college, he decides to ask for help from the computer teacher, Haure (Koyuki) about this website.

As these two storylines develop, the tension unfolds with trepidation and the story keeps a snail’s pace, giving a clear signal to those who want a few quick shocks and something easy to digest. Kairo’s sense of horror and dread doesn’t shout in your face, it gets under your skin and stays there with no intention of leaving. Not to mention, it follows its own rules and will require repeat viewings to fully grasp the concept. Of course, I don’t want to give much away, since this is worth exploring for yourself and discovering its hidden depth. I could write a lot more about Kairo, but when writing movie reviews, there is always the case of OgMFgTehSpoielrs111! Anyways, this gets a full recommendation from me, surprising since I usually never bother with nu-horror.

Oh, and don’t even mention the remake.

When my husband and I went to see my uncle in 2005 in Tennessee, we bought The Atomic Bomb Movie. He had seen it before, years ago. It's narrated by William Shatner, and it's excellent! My guess is some of you here have seen it before. It starts off with the bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The music fits it perfectly. It goes into discussion about how the a-bomb came to be and all the testing in New Mexico. All this stuff was classified until recently, so that's why they made this movie. TONS of killer footage! My favorite one is an underwater bomb, it was 90ft. below the surface. When it went off, a HUGE plume of water came up and everything was destroyed! It was made somewhere in the Pacific, maybe the Bikini Islands or someplace called...(excuse the bad spelling, I forget the name) Eniwentok(?) There was a huge crater afterwards.

For you war fans, it's a great movie. It has a 3D section and some cool extras.

No good historical movie has a 3D section.  Unless you're referring to animation.

The area of the world you're talking about is Bikini Atoll.  It's destruction in dozens of armed nuclear tests is generally regarded by modern historians as being a sad sidenote to the nuclear age.  Some have gone far enough to call it deliberate racism on behalf of the US government for their emotionless removal of a population from their ancestral home, and then even putting them back a few years later into an area that had been saturated by radiation.  Either way, what happened to the Bikinians was a tragedy.

I went to see Superbad at the cinema yesterday, which was an OK film, but quite slow in places. On a side note, it cost me £8 to watch it, which is far too expensive. I would have gone straight into another screen for another film, feeling quite justified to get my money's worth, but at midday on a Monday it's not really that busy and ushers were possibly outnumbering punters.

Good heavens, 8 pounds for an afternoon show?? That's $16! *yikes* It's $8.75 for an evening show over here...afternoon shows are about $6 or so.

@LC: The movie came w/3D glasses, and it was a 3D version of one of the bombs blowing up in the desert. It was about a 10 minute clip.
Good heavens, 8 pounds for an afternoon show?? That's $16! *yikes* It's $8.75 for an evening show over here...afternoon shows are about $6 or so.

@LC: The movie came w/3D glasses, and it was a 3D version of one of the bombs blowing up in the desert. It was about a 10 minute clip.

EDIT: I'm leaving for a bit, I'll be back later  :p Damn screen froze up on me! Sorry for the double post

national acrobat said:
... it cost me £8 to watch it, which is far too expensive...

£7.00 is about the average price at cinemas here. No wonder the sales are dwindling...

Indeed, not to mention that many films are released on DVD quite soon after the premiere nowadays. I know I'd go to the cinema more often if it wasn't so bloody expensive, I actually really like seeing movies on the big screen.

Actually saw Transformers on the silver screen...

I was all alone in the theater... hehe

So cool, having this BIG room all to myself...

Simpsons is *finally* playing at the mall 2 minutes from my house, so we're going to see it soon... :D

Cheap tix!

Saw a preview for a movie out next month called "The Seeker: Dark Is Rising" or something...looks good! I remember seeing the preview before the HP movie and one of the lines was "You're the seventh son of a seventh son!" I went "OMG, you have to be kidding!" I wanna see it  :D

If it has a Maiden line in it, I'm seeing it  :ok:

Another movie coming out next May is Iron Man...saw the trailer on Yahoo last night

Back