NOW WATCHING

Collin Trevorrow (Jurassic World) was originally in the director's chair, then he got the shaft thanks to the ol' "creative differences". I guess JJ was the safest option after TLJ's reception.

Just finished Hereditary. I guess after all the hype I expected something maybe slightly more original or something more inherently scary, but it was quite good anyway, actually. Reminded us of both Rosemary's Baby and The Wicker Man (the original one). Probably need to sleep on it and let the thoughts settle, but probably the worst thing was the pacing - I realise it was supposed to be a slow-burner and it was and it built up to the ending quite nicely, but... it was still kinda too long. The Wicker Man is much shorter and while Rosemary is just as long, it's much more effective in dosing the suspense throughout. Also, I'd probably tweak some things here and there, but that's mostly either personal preference or nitpicking. It was definitely worth it and I'd recommend the film in the end.

Also, we watched Bird Box about a week ago - ...and I trust Number 6 enough to believe the book is probably better, but I really don't feel the need to check it out. It was good, especially for a TV movie (which is what all Netflix flix are, aren't they?), but it wasn't anything that great. Good idea, a passable performance by Bullock (I can't help but wonder if I would have liked the film more if they switched the sisters around and let Sarah Paulson in the leading role), but in general it certainly lacked something and I don't necessarily mean an explanation.

The comparison with A Quiet Place did come to mind, of course, and while I acknowledge the BB book came out earlier, the film adaptation was probably badly timed then, because the movie is worse in pretty much every aspect, good as it is on its own. You see - AQP actually uses its premise to be a half-mute film that manages to transfer its aural-paranoia to the viewer (we actually whispered to each other with wifey even after the film ended). BB didn't manage to use its main idea in a similarly good way. Actually, it made me think about the fact it's a TV movie and that they are keeping the budget down this way instead. Also, almost no suspense at all. Maybe I'm being unfair, but it was, like, just good. Also, that stuff with "Boy" and "Girl" was really stupid. Felt very clichéd, somehow.

Made me wanna re-read Day of the Triffids, that's for sure. Also, the eye/sight theme made us go and rewatch Los Ojos de Julia right after - still good, though I'm probably not as crazy about it as I was those five years ago. Better than BB? Possibly.
Then we rewatched REC that evening. Still good, probably the best of the lot. Which raises the question - Belén Rueda or Manuela Velasco?
Also, since I'm talking about Spanish suspense movies, about half a year ago we watched La piel que habito. Didn't like it. Predictable, nonsensical at times, Almodovar trying too hard to be more perverted this time (the very beginning with the "lion" licking the screen and gratuitous rape would already be enough)... I don't know, it really didn't convince me. Elena Anaya was cute, but that was pretty much everything.

Netflix movies are above TV movies. I think of Sci-Fi (now SyFy) or Lifetime when I think of TV movies and most are pretty aweful. But Netflix brings out big budgets, big names, big productions, not common for "TV movies." Outlaw King is a good example of a good Netflix movie that is above Sharknado, Ogre or A Mother's Worse Nightmare.

Speaking of Netflix movies, anybody seen the Black Mirror "interactive" movie yet? I'm freaking out, because all I can think of is Farenheit 451. Just Like "4D" movies make me think of Brave New World.

Speaking of Netflix movies, anybody seen the Black Mirror "interactive" movie yet?
I did. I liked it a lot, it's actually very well done, and you can spend hours watching it, going back, choosing other paths... I myself spent four whole hours in it and didn't even notice. It doesn't get boring, and it's fast-paced enough so that you don't find it annoying if it forces you to start over. There's one specific very tongue-in-cheek choice midway through the film (without giving anything away, a character at some point asks who's controlling him and begs for a sign, and you literally have the option to contact him as Netflix), but it works. It also reminded me a lot of Donnie Darko. My only critique is that having that many options to go through, while interesting, makes the whole thing start to feel artificial and much less realistic, after rewatching it over and over.

The Prestige (2006)
cda0682f886e4b327d878bbbfacbc751.jpg

Hana-bi (1997)
eac3652220cd34ee14ecb0a6e49c6211.jpg

363d071e1da52fc8082fd00ebe9acbf8.jpg

c945a14a814008cc03fbb7fa12560445.jpg

8c2ebdf1227348ea06a148edbeb4a686.jpg

Any particular sub-genre? Torture, home invasion, slasher, psychological, psychadelic, cabin in the woods, etc?
I’d expand but I’d rather not spoil the plot if you haven’t seen it yet. Let’s just say that the idea behind it is really horrific; whether the film itself is great or not is up to the viewer, but I think it’s pretty damn good. The trailer’s on YT so I’d recommend you see that first.

That didn't sound all that interesting to me. Office employees forced to kill each other. OK. I'm guessing it's expanded on in the film?

Forced to kill each other or be killed by someone. Just imagine if you were one of them, walking in on a normal day...

EDIT: The whole thing works well as a film. There’s definitely enough there to let it stretch out into an entire movie. The characters are actually decent ones; you’ll empathize with some and abhor others.

Like I said, it's up to the viewer to figure that bit out. All I can say is that it's really, really "horrific" and that I thought it was almost perfect in execution.

Back