NOW WATCHING

The Handmaid's Tale

Childbirth scene was more terrifying to me than any The Walking Dead or Game Of Thrones gore :confused:

Sounds like you're getting too old for that shit.

I've only seen the first two. Love the first - it's a Christmas classic, just like Die Hard :D Thought the second one was so-so, but maybe I need to see it again. Have you been watching the Lethal Weapon TV series? I've heard good things, haven't actually got round to starting it yet.

I have not seen the series. Too many series based on old movies to keep up. Hannibal, Bates Motel, The Exorcist, Terminator, Cobra Kai, Lethal Weapon, etc.

And yes, I AM getting too old for this shit lol

I'll add them to my never ending list lol.

Finished up to season 6 of Voltron Legendary Defender. O....M...G. I'm speechless. What a wonderfully and carefully crafted show. Fucking love it. The build-ups and set-ups are great, the payoffs are epic, even the filler episodes are entertaining. Too bad the main theme sucks, but otherwise the music is great too.

MV5BOTA4YTQ2ZGEtOGYwYy00YmVhLTliOTgtOGQ2OWViMzU5M2Q3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzQ1NjgzOTA@._V1_SX1777_CR0,0,1777,999_AL_.jpg

Brother (1997)
Well-made depiction of Russian city life in the 90s. Ugly times but beautiful people. Sergei Bodrov played the lead role well, I like the guy, but he died just a couple of years later at the age of 30. The low-budget production made for some awkward moments, like shooting scenes, but no matter, I wasn't watching it for the crime story as much as a portrayal of the people, anyway.

MV5BMzU5NjM5NDgzNF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzI3MDY1MDE@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,1502,1000_AL_.jpg

The Great Beauty (2013)
Beautifully shot, thought-provoking. An old man's film but I felt the lead role was relatable enough and the characters, their vices and virtues, all the different ways of life, made the film enjoyable.

MV5BMjA5MzQ1MDIxNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDM1ODc2NTE@._V1.._SY1000_CR0,0,1459,1000_AL_.jpg

Youth (2015)
Another one from Sorrentino. I didn't like this one quite as much as The Great Beauty, the overarching themes just weren't as powerful, and I couldn't sympathise with the lead role that well. Nevertheless, enjoyable, pleasant to the eye, much due to Rachel Weisz' amazing attractiveness.

161026-townsend-do-the-right-thing-tease_lrr7va

Do the Right Thing (1989)
Fight the power! This was not the light-hearted comedy I expected when it went all-out on racial hatred. Times were different, I guess. There was a lot of fun involved, still, and despite a few annoying characters, I had a good time watching this. Things got pretty chaotic at the end, and I figured it was the result of everyone trying to "do the right thing". The characters' different perceptions of right and wrong brought the house down, literally and figuratively.

Been Watching a lot of stuff lately.

Finally finished the Good Place, not great, but pretty good sitcom about moral philosophy. While only two seasons it had a satisfying ending.

Still Binging Voltron Legendary Defender. Fing... epic. Each season just keeps getting better.

Also watched Guillermo Del Toro's Trollhunter. It starts pretty flat, but picks up real quick and doesn't let up. REALLY good series about, what else, family, friendship and teamwork.

Saw The Hollow. An animataed series which is The Cube meets Beetlejuice meets The Matrix. Not bad.

Also watched a couple of documentaries. One, a downer, I Am Jane Doe, is about survivors of sex trafficking and their legal battle against Backpage.com. The other one was Saving Capitalism. It merely describes why the economy is the way it is today, doesn't offer any real solutions. It's based the book by Clinton's Secretary of the Treasury or something like that.

Finally finished the Good Place, not great, but pretty good sitcom about moral philosophy. While only two seasons it had a satisfying ending.
It's been renewed for S3 though. Also, I'd say it's great, rather than just good :p

Watched No Escape. Kinda dumb thriller. Murican dude goes to work in an unnamed Asian country, brings his whole family and on the night they get to the hotel, a military coup / civil war breaks out. And first thing that the rebels want to do is kill all the Muricans. Decent acting, effects and suspense otherwise. Gave it 5/10 on IMDb.

Rewatched Tropic Thunder. Actually not as great as I remembered it to be, but still pretty great. Tom Cruise was the highlight of the movie. 8/10

The Handmaid's Tale S2 finale, what ran through my head while watching:
Fuck it's all coming to a close and S3 will have new characters...

Serena is so dead now... and Emily too... and Aunt Lydia... wait Emily is escaping... and so is June... and so is the baby... but Serena ain't dead and Nick will pay the consequences for Fred... and WHAT THE FUCK WHY DID SHE STAY?????

Honestly I don't understand it. Unless she plans of waging a guerilla war from the mountains all alone, I dunno how she survives that again. Maybe that cool new Commander gets June and Waterfords get someone they hate even more. I also don't like how they left Aunt Lydia's fate as a cliffhanger.

On The Handmaid's Tale finale:
I got really annoyed that June stayed behind. I guess it was because she wants to get to Hannah, but I'd have no clue how she could manage. It really sucks that Nick will have to take all the shit now. The truth is that Fred is surrounded by enemies in his house, but unless they all have a super clever plan how to get rid of him, they're all dead. Also, I'd like to know why that Commander wanted to help Emily so badly as to go through the whole process of getting her out. Why her and why does he care?

This just came out yesterday. The ending of the first episode had me in tears, haven't laughed at anything so much in a long time.

While taking a break from Gravity Falls I decided to watch some documentaries. I watched Icarus initially thinking it was about Lance Armstrong's doping scandal. As it turns out it was about the Russian doping scandal.

I really enjoyed it. This of course was leading to the Rio games. I highly recommend it. I found it hilarious how there is all this overwhelming evidence of State-sponsored doping and the world takes appropriate steps, like banning the Russian athletes (later allowing some to participate), shutting down the Russian lab, etc. Russia, of course, denies it all, yet goes on to destroy evidence fire/kill/disappear key witnesses and starts to restructure the program. Yet, currently in the U.S no one can or wants to do anything about the clown in office acting like a Russian despot.

If I had to pick one so far it's season 1 ep 11 lol. When they go to the arcade and bring the Street Fighter/Streets of Rage hybrid guy to life.

That one's awesome! But I think my favorite season 1 episode is "Carpet Diem".

Soos switching bodies with Waddles was marvelous, LOL!

Last edited:
Back