NOW WATCHING

It is a SLOW, heavy movie, but the implications and message are amazing. Too bad it is such a difficult movie to get through, not as bad as 2001: Space Odyssey but it's up there, at least for me.

My brother has been bugging me for months to watch Dirk Gently and I finally got around to it. OMG, shame it got canceled, because it is an amazing show. Only two short seasons, but well worth it. I am picking up the books it is based on to see the rest of his adventures. Everything is indeed connected.

...not as bad as 2001: Space Odyssey

Hm. That was next on my watch list. Slightly less enthusiastic about it now. :p

The ending sequence with Batty against Deckard was brilliant, and Battys speech was obviously incredible, but you're right, it was a slog. I mean, I wasn't expecting Star Wars, but I wasn't really prepared for this. Maybe I'll give it another chance one day.

I hadn't heard of Dirk Gently, it sounds quite interesting though. Four episodes? I reckon I could crash that out in an afternoon :D

2001: A Space Odyssey is sooooo boring.

Then I think I'll give it a miss :p

Have you seen A Clockwork Orange? It's also on my "To Watch" list. I believe that's by Stanley Kubrick too.

The Shining is total shit and I have no idea why it's held in such high regard.

x1080-B2a.jpg

netflix-picks-up-final-space-season-1.jpg

Finally got around to watching Daredevil. I'm pleasantly surprised, impressed even. Top notch performances from everyone, great writing and amazing coreography with the fights. I was reluctant to watch it after Iron Fist was so.... lukewarm. Neither Luke Cage or Jessica Jones seem interesting to me, but after this series I might give them a shot to complete the picture before watching Defenders. I like the actress from Jessica Jones, but even she wasn't enough to make it a must watch for me. Currently more curious about The Punisher than any of the others.

Daredevil was incredible. Have you only seen the first series? Sadly, the Netflix series' lose their way a bit after that. I won't say too much, but:

Jessica Jones S1 is incredible too, Kilgrave is a top notch villain. Haven't watched series 2 yet.
Daredevil Series 2 is great, but not quite as good as the first.
Luke Cage is a mixed bag, starts strong, ends weaker, but still enjoyable. Haven't watched series 2 yet either.
Iron Fist was garbage, barely made it to episode 3.
The Punisher is... something. I can't get too much into it without spoilers.
Defenders was so-so, sadly.

I'm 8 episodes into the second season (series). I was disappointed with Iron Fist, so I'm hesitant about the other series. I'm slowly working my way through them, with a comedy special or animated series in between.

I enjoyed them all. Iron Fist wasn't that bad, although I understand the criticism. S2 trailer is cool and there'll be 10 episodes for the first time for a Marvel Netflix show, so I'm expecting a great season.

The Punisher S1 is the best of them all so far.

...there'll be 10 episodes for the first time for a Marvel Netflix show...

Oh really? About time, even the first series' of Daredevil and Jessica Jones could've benefited from being a little shorter IMO.

The Punisher S1 is the best of them all so far.

It was good, but I was quite disappointed that...

Frank wasn't actually the Punisher for most of it. It was a pretty good jumping off point, so I have high hopes for the next series, especially with Billy Russo/Jigsaws return.

It was good, but I was quite disappointed that...

Frank wasn't actually the Punisher for most of it. It was a pretty good jumping off point, so I have high hopes for the next series, especially with Billy Russo/Jigsaws return.
Apparently The Punisher S2 will cover the Slavers storyline from the comics which promises a much, much more brutal Frank. S1 was much more personal for him, S2 should have him go against more brutal people who he has no connections to.

Apparently The Punisher S2 will cover the Slavers storyline from the comics which promises a much, much more brutal Frank. S1 was much more personal for him, S2 should have him go against more brutal people who he has no connections to.

I'm not familiar with that storyline, but a more brutal Frank interests me greatly. Jon Bernthal really sells the unhinged side of Frank.

Last edited:
Finally saw A Quiet Place and well... it's quiet. Feels like half a movie. It drops you off when the shit already hit the fan and one particular family's struggle to stay alive. And then it's over. Yay? It was never particularly scary and it leaves WAY too many questions unanswered and not in a good way. Worth a watch if only because it is such a quiet movie. Reminded me of Hitchcock's Birds.

Also finally got around to watching the Fahrenheit 451 remake with Michael B. Jordan. A pleasant surprise. The 50's original is AWFUL, even if it is closer to the book. 1950's sci-fi effects were atrocious. This movie played it smart by toning down the sci-fi as far as vehicles, equipment and architecture and focused more than anything on tech. Like many movies today it integrated current social media and skewed the interactive TVs for "Smart homes" a la Amazon's Alexa. Definitely worth a watch.

Finished watching The Terror yesterday.

Incredible show. One that really stays in your thoughts quite a while after you finished watching. There were so many memorable characters. The acting was top notch, especially Jared Harris and Paul Ready. Cinematography and special effects were both amazing... Hard to believe that they almost never actually shot on water, and that even the underwater scenes were all CGI. It didn't hold back on the gore or tragedy. It also managed to weave in the real historical facts along with the fiction (well, since the show was based on a book, I guess the book did it too :p). I didn't expect it to end like it did, considering how the show started, but it was satisfying.

Dunno if S2 will manage to top it. They plan on making this an anthology show with new cast/showrunners/story every season. But the next one won't have the book to go from or the same showrunners, so I'm very sceptical.

Back