NOW WATCHING

Sounds interesting @Onhell. Have you seen Dawg Fight from 2015? It sounds similar. This one being about illegal backyard fights in suburban ghettos in which we follow a few charismatic fighters....and them making a name for themselves within this "sport" and also the dreams of turning pro. It's out on Netflix.

I have not, but I will now hunt it down, as well as Mindhunter thanks to to the praise it's gotten here.

Finished watching Mindhunter last night. Very nicely done. While I was watching the last two episodes, I couldn't get out of my head that saying about looking into the abyss and the abyss looking back into you.
I also dreamed about Ed Kemper last night.:confused:

Finished watching Mindhunter last night. Very nicely done. While I was watching the last two episodes, I couldn't get out of my head that saying about looking into the abyss and the abyss looking back into you.
I also dreamed about Ed Kemper last night.:confused:

Great series indeed. The actor portraying Kemper in Mindhunter also deserved a lot of praise for nailing the way the real Kemper speaks and carries himself in interviews. There's a few lengthy interviews with the real Kemper on YouTube, most of them from the 80s and early 90s, which are also really interesting to watch after the series. The series has certainly sparked a curiosity in me to look up all the different names and stuff mentioned throughout the series. ..One of the worst was looking up the names "Bittaker and Norris" that was mentioned when the new FBI guy was having the headphones on in the auditorium. Now that's some crazy shit...

Some of the quotes and stuff they've lifted directly from the interviews with Kemper. But also, naturally, some of the scenes have been expanded upon to better make them work in a visual setting. For example, the scene in the last episode....
...Is based on a real life event but didn't exactly happen like they show in the series. "On one occasion, when Douglas' colleague Robert Ressler was in a cell alone with Kemper, Kemper—who at the time weighed 300 pounds (136 kg)—noticed the apprehension in Ressler after he had pressed a hidden button repeatedly to call a guard to open the cell yet not received a response and told him "Relax. They're changing the shift," but remarked: "If I went apeshit in here, you'd be in a lot of trouble, wouldn't you? I could screw your head off and place it on the table to greet the guard."[71] Ressler verbally sparred with Kemper until the guard arrived, ultimately leaving unharmed with Kemper displaying no physical aggression. Kemper also stated afterwards that he was joking, but Ressler never entered a cell alone again with Kemper and it became FBI policy to interview serial killers in pairs"

The last episode really changed the tone of the whole series.

I think they did a really well job throughout the series of making you forget that these guys were talking to serial killers who brutally murdered innocent people despite the fact that they talked about it all the time - and then suddenly, Kemper actually became scary.

Yeah I agree with that. Likewise...

...One of the most creepy scenes for me throughout the series were actually the scenes where Wendy goes down into the washing room to put the tuna can in the window. I think because you don't know what is out there in the dark. I was expecting something or someone to reach out and grab her. Like Ariana said..looking out into the abyss...and something looks back at you.

And of course the whole symbolic meaning of it....opening a can of worms, or maybe I'm reading too much into it :)

After finishing Mindhunter. I'm currently watching Shot in the Dark on Netflix. Don't know if anyone has seen the movie Nightcrawler from 2014 with Jake Gyllenhaal but it's basically the real life version of that. It's a documentary series in which we follow freelance companies that live off selling sensationalistic footage, car fires, police chases, shootings, car accidents, gang activity etc, that they record during the night and then sell to the big broadcasting companies...Very interesting and well done documentary series.

Finally (yes i am very late) got to see Requiem for a Dream.

The last 30 minutes are insane. Left me with a sick feeling to the stomach

Very impressive colors and cuts

Finally (yes i am very late) got to see Requiem for a Dream.

The last 30 minutes are insane. Left me with a sick feeling to the stomach

Very impressive colors and cuts

I've been wanting to watch it for a long time but don't want to be grossed out.

Eveyone should watch it at least once. That's all you need. I saw it years ago and it seared into my brain, no need to watch it again.

Seen a few shows lately. Finished Season 2 of the Expanse, mind... blown. What an amazing show. I agree episode 5 stands out, stands out so much in fact the remainder of the season was a bit of a downer, at least for me.

Watched The Keepers, another Netflix documentary, about a murdered nun and the cover-up that follows. It's intriguing, but also very frustrating in the same way To Make a Murderer was.
Tired of "documentaries" only telling you half the story. They don't solve anything, there is no finality to the series. It's just "so this is what we have so far, no one's done shit, victims haven't found justice, nobody knows who did it, thanks for watching."

Started watching Mindhunter. It didn't grab me right away, but now I'm hooked. When I was in high school I was OBSESSED with serial killers and mass murderers, so this turned out to be right up my alley.

Watched The Keepers, another Netflix documentary, about a murdered nun and the cover-up that follows. It's intriguing, but also very frustrating in the same way To Make a Murderer was.

Added to the watch list! If you like this sort of thing you should check out The Staircase too. Similar to Making of a Murderer in the way that you follow the investigation and the murder trial.

Last edited:
Finished Mindhunter. Really good series, will definitely will follow it. Really made me think of Nietzsche's two most celebrated quotes. Will likely start AWAKE next, it's about a cop who is involved in a car accident and his wife dies. Then he goes to bed and wakes up in a parallel reality where it was his son who died. Thus whenever he goes to bed he wakes up in the other reality.

Started the punisher on Netflix. First episode wasnt overwhelming.
Havent seen the daredevil episodes with him though

The (sadly) last season of Longmire on Netflix. Last season was a bit meh .. but this year is soooo much better so far.

Back