1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NOW WATCHING

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Onhell, Sep 1, 2004.

1. SixesAlltheway

SixesAlltheway Yacht Rock

I'm sure if I get a few more episodes into Stranger Things I'll be hooked on that too...Mindhunter just captivated me faster. I also found out that Mindhunter is largely produced by David Fincher, the same guy who did "Se7en" and the "Zodiac" movie. and I'm crazy about his storytelling... and many of the episodes has the same kind of look and feel as those two movies.

Onhell, terrell39 and Ariana like this.
  2. Onhell

Onhell Mexican Revolutionary

Recently watched the UNDISPUTED series. They are four movies dealing with underground fights. The first one, like in most franchises, is the only one with big names and a proper release. The rest went straight to video, but they are GREAT if you enjoy martial arts movies. The second one in the series was critically acclaimed for its choreography. And surprisingly they are not lacking in story. Oddly, The first one, while a solid outing, IMO is the weakest, this is the only series of movies I've seen where the sequels get better instead of worse.

The first deals with a straightforward underground prison boxing match. The sequels go more the MMA route, but thankfully they go for the razzle dazzle flying kicks and stand-up style instead of the boring ground game that only true fans of MMA appreciate. They do have moments, but they don't last long, after all they are ACTION movies.

Another unique thing about the series is, the antagonist in the first movie is the protagonist in the second, the antagonist in the second is the protagonist in the third and the continuity is impressive. The only one that breaks from that formula is the fourth in which you once again follow the villain-turned-hero from the second and third movies.

The only continuity issue is the antagonist from the first movie gets re-cast in the second, but considering the first one was boxing and the second one goes more MMA and a little faster choreography it was understandable. I highly recommend all four if you can find them.

3. SixesAlltheway

Sounds interesting @Onhell. Have you seen Dawg Fight from 2015? It sounds similar. This one being about illegal backyard fights in suburban ghettos in which we follow a few charismatic fighters....and them making a name for themselves within this "sport" and also the dreams of turning pro. It's out on Netflix.

Onhell likes this.
  4. Maturin

Maturin Sköldpadda

Watched The Expanse S02E05 "Home".

Best one yet. I think it deserves to be called brilliant.

Onhell likes this.
  5. Onhell

I have not, but I will now hunt it down, as well as Mindhunter thanks to to the praise it's gotten here.

6. Onhell

Glad to here, really like the series, but have it on hold at the moment, will try and catchup this weekend

7. Ariana

Ariana Purple leopard

Finished watching Mindhunter last night. Very nicely done. While I was watching the last two episodes, I couldn't get out of my head that saying about looking into the abyss and the abyss looking back into you.
    I also dreamed about Ed Kemper last night.:confused:

SixesAlltheway likes this.
  8. SixesAlltheway

Great series indeed. The actor portraying Kemper in Mindhunter also deserved a lot of praise for nailing the way the real Kemper speaks and carries himself in interviews. There's a few lengthy interviews with the real Kemper on YouTube, most of them from the 80s and early 90s, which are also really interesting to watch after the series. The series has certainly sparked a curiosity in me to look up all the different names and stuff mentioned throughout the series. ..One of the worst was looking up the names "Bittaker and Norris" that was mentioned when the new FBI guy was having the headphones on in the auditorium. Now that's some crazy shit...

Some of the quotes and stuff they've lifted directly from the interviews with Kemper. But also, naturally, some of the scenes have been expanded upon to better make them work in a visual setting. For example, the scene in the last episode....
    ...Is based on a real life event but didn't exactly happen like they show in the series. "On one occasion, when Douglas' colleague Robert Ressler was in a cell alone with Kemper, Kemper—who at the time weighed 300 pounds (136 kg)—noticed the apprehension in Ressler after he had pressed a hidden button repeatedly to call a guard to open the cell yet not received a response and told him "Relax. They're changing the shift," but remarked: "If I went apeshit in here, you'd be in a lot of trouble, wouldn't you? I could screw your head off and place it on the table to greet the guard."[71] Ressler verbally sparred with Kemper until the guard arrived, ultimately leaving unharmed with Kemper displaying no physical aggression. Kemper also stated afterwards that he was joking, but Ressler never entered a cell alone again with Kemper and it became FBI policy to interview serial killers in pairs"

9. Perun

Perun Climbing like a monkey Staff Member

The last episode really changed the tone of the whole series.

I think they did a really well job throughout the series of making you forget that these guys were talking to serial killers who brutally murdered innocent people despite the fact that they talked about it all the time - and then suddenly, Kemper actually became scary.

10. SixesAlltheway

Yeah I agree with that. Likewise...

...One of the most creepy scenes for me throughout the series were actually the scenes where Wendy goes down into the washing room to put the tuna can in the window. I think because you don't know what is out there in the dark. I was expecting something or someone to reach out and grab her. Like Ariana said..looking out into the abyss...and something looks back at you.

And of course the whole symbolic meaning of it....opening a can of worms, or maybe I'm reading too much into it :)

11. SixesAlltheway

After finishing Mindhunter. I'm currently watching Shot in the Dark on Netflix. Don't know if anyone has seen the movie Nightcrawler from 2014 with Jake Gyllenhaal but it's basically the real life version of that. It's a documentary series in which we follow freelance companies that live off selling sensationalistic footage, car fires, police chases, shootings, car accidents, gang activity etc, that they record during the night and then sell to the big broadcasting companies...Very interesting and well done documentary series.

12. Onhell

DANG! I'm watching it now. Nightcrawler was a good movie, Gyllenhaal was creepy as all shit.

Forostar likes this.