NOW WATCHING

Blade Runner 2049 - I was shocked at how much I enjoyed this film. Honestly, I barely remember the original, but I enjoyed my viewing of this sequel far more. Great visuals, great mood, and a killer cast. Still think Jared Leto sucks, but oh well.

Stranger Things 2 was incredible. Better than the first one, which I didn't think was achievable. I can't praise it enough :wub:

I'm really looking forward to Stranger things season 2. I will start it immediately after I finish Fear The Walking Dead, which I'm currently halfway through the second season.

Finished Stranger Things 2. Wow, just... Wow. Not only is the story cool, it is a VERY well made show from a technical standpoint. The attention given to details is mind-boggling. Only complaint? Too short! lol I was expecting 8 episodes again, but well done, can't wait for the next season.

Saw Blade Runner 2049 last night. Kinda undecided on how good it was; I think I hyped it up to myself a little too much. I liked a lot of it; particularly the length, the pacing, the mood, the sound (damn that was loud!), etc. The commodification of woman as a theme in the film had the unfortunate effect (for me personally) of breaking the fourth wall. Still, there were some strangely uplifting moments; particularly those with the dog, whether intentional or not.

9c7a87e6ac37b60c98492bef8ade8866.jpg
Want to see this! Wind River

Started watching The Walking Dead this weekend. Just finished 02x02. It's rather good, pretty much what I expected. I even like most of the characters, though I hope Andrea will die ASAP, because I can't stand the bitch. Very cool makeup/special effects and setting, especially for a TV series. Lots of atmosphere.

Started watching The Walking Dead this weekend. Just finished 02x02. It's rather good, pretty much what I expected. I even like most of the characters, though I hope Andrea will die ASAP, because I can't stand the bitch. Very cool makeup/special effects and setting, especially for a TV series. Lots of atmosphere.
I didn't mind Andrea at all, but I don't think all of the actions and judgement of the TV series Andrea are in keeping with her supposed character. The comics Andrea is very different. Lori was the character that really started to bug me in the early seasons.

I was never able to get into the walking dead. It had a lot of good ideas, some good characters, but ultimately I felt the show was too formulaic. The first 10 minutes of every episode recapped what happened the last episode, then A LOT of NOTHING happens for like 30 minutes then 5 minutes of an ERMAGAD SO MUCH CRAP GOING ON, ZOMBIES EVERYWHERE, SHIT JUST HIT THE FAN cliff hanger... just to hook you in for the following episode where you get a 10 minute recap, 30 minutes of NOTHING... you get the pictures.

I didn't mind Andrea at all, but I don't think all of the actions and judgement of the TV series Andrea are in keeping with her supposed character. The comics Andrea is very different. Lori was the character that really started to bug me in the early seasons.

I really dislike the combination of supposed "tough gal" (and being therefore properly obnoxious) and her overall hysteria (that makes here even more obnoxious). I mean, fuck Amy, already. Everybody had lost someone dear to them. Doesn't make her special. Either you are the tough, no bollocks type (Daryl) or you're the soft, crying type (Carol), but she manages to combine the most annoying qualities of both. But I truly started to hate the character in 02x01, where she self-righteously spews venom on Dale for forcing her to continue living and trying (and not sitting in the facility waiting for death) because he "took away her choice". Cunt.

I was never able to get into the walking dead. It had a lot of good ideas, some good characters, but ultimately I felt the show was too formulaic. The first 10 minutes of every episode recapped what happened the last episode, then A LOT of NOTHING happens for like 30 minutes then 5 minutes of an ERMAGAD SO MUCH CRAP GOING ON, ZOMBIES EVERYWHERE, SHIT JUST HIT THE FAN cliff hanger... just to hook you in for the following episode where you get a 10 minute recap, 30 minutes of NOTHING... you get the pictures.

I get what you mean, I suppose you could say that the pace is slow (zombie-like?), but I actually like that, because (as I've said above) it's exactly what I had expected: a soap opera among the zombies. Though I admit that the dispersion of action/dramatic sequences is indeed a bit uneven. I'm more concerned with the fact the series remind me a bit of a video game - we need to get somewhere, but this happens and the solution/necessary McGuffin is there, we get there, something happens and the solution/necessary McGuffin is yonder... Of course the lad is shot - we need to get him to the doctor. But he needs equipment, so we have to go X miles further to bring back said equipment. But in the meantime everybody else is still waiting at the motorway, right? Like I said - a bit video-gamish, but I really don't mind.

I really dislike the combination of supposed "tough gal" (and being therefore properly obnoxious) and her overall hysteria (that makes here even more obnoxious). I mean, fuck Amy, already. Everybody had lost someone dear to them. Doesn't make her special. Either you are the tough, no bollocks type (Daryl) or you're the soft, crying type (Carol), but she manages to combine the most annoying qualities of both. But I truly started to hate the character in 02x01, where she self-righteously spews venom on Dale for forcing her to continue living and trying (and not sitting in the facility waiting for death) because he "took away her choice". Cunt.
Yes, that's what I mean, on one hand she's meant to be theoretically strong and independent, a potential future candidate for the model post-apocalyptic citizen, but the cloyingly emotional thing with her sister didn't fit the character. Nor do her appalling lapses in judgement with regards to a couple of people (keep watching). That doesn't work with the character at all. But I think she does show a little bit of character development.

IMO the character development thing (or lack of) is a very stand-out feature with the female characters in TWD, possibly more so than with many of the male characters, save Rick and one or two others. You've got a lot to come, but the whole development of 'who will you be post-apocalypse' is very striking with all the female characters. It's a slow burn plot, I won't give too much away. I find Andrea does develop as a character, although some aspects of her definitely don't fit and aren't in keeping with the character of the comics at all. Lori - and I mention her because I think there's meant to be some compare-and-contrast between the two of them, doesn't develop at all, I feel.

I was pleasantly surprised by the while thing. I only started watching it after catching a bit of Season 7 and a few online spoilers, and I quite like the subtle plot and character development, with a scattering of Easter eggs and red herrings to keep you guessing. I was put off the series to begin with because I thought it was going to be nothing but a celebration of gun culture with some token 'quirky' situations, an unconvincing romance involving Rick, and nonsensical Hollywood moralising. It seems bit cleverer than that, though, but VERY slow burn. I'm still catching up on Seasons 5-6, in addition to watching Season 8.

Ah, cool. Apparently Travis was killed off because the actor signed up for all 267 Avatar sequels. Which is a shame, because him killing off those idiots in 2x14 is my favorite moment in the show.

Ah, cool. Apparently Travis was killed off because the actor signed up for all 267 Avatar sequels. Which is a shame, because him killing off those idiots in 2x14 is my favorite moment in the show.

Agreed. They really had a lot of opportunity for that character to grow. He quickly went from most mediocre character on the show to the darkest, most haunted, and that's always incredibly interesting. His death easily seemed like it was a, "Shit, we gotta get the actor out!" moment. A real shame to0, considering those stupid Avatar movies probably won't be released for another 18 years.

Back