NOW WATCHING

02x03 - Cool twist with Shane (though I kinda guessed it), Maggie's a ride and Andrea is not getting any better. "Do you forgive me?" "...I'm trying" OHMYGOSHSOMEONEDISSECTTHATMOTHERFUCKINGWHOREALIVE!!!

BTW, there is no reason whatsoever to watch the Torn Apart webisodes. Doesn't make a lot of sense, all the characters are pretty bland and unimportant in the end and although it's about 18 minutes altogether, it still feels overlong.

Last edited:
02x04 - That whole "zombie in the well" subplot was mind-numbingly idiotic. But don't worry, I'm not giving up on the show :p

"Rose-soft-Daryl" was really nice, by the way.

(and Glenn's one lucky bastard :ninja: )

Watched Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Technically a brilliant production, wonderful flow and scenery, and well-acted. However, as Brigs said about Blade Runner, it "felt a bit too miserable overall" and the themes were not quite for me. Plus, the love affair between the doctor and the young girl felt so cheesy and unimportant. In contrast, Elijah Wood surprisingly transitioned from a not-so-likeable person to "the nice guy". I gave it a 7 on imdb, which was hard because of the film's sheer technical brilliance.

Watched The Expanse season 2 episode 2 and 3.

Fantastic series. I might need to re-read Leviathan Wakes and continue with the rest. I was underwhelmed with it at the time, but this awesome adaptation has really renewed my interest.

Birth of the Dragon. Bruce Lee's biopic which oddly.... doesn't feature much of Bruce Lee. The story focuses on Wong Jack Man, a Shaolin monk who goes to America as penance for nearly killing a Tai Chi master in a demonstration match and on Steve Mckee, one of Lee's students. I actually like that as we see Lee from "the outside." Also, I'm starting to see more movies recently (like the Ip Man trilogy) where Lee is depicted as an arrogant young man instead of the Zen near saint in movies from like 30 years ago.

I really enjoyed the film, good story of redemption, rebirth and finding your true purpose as well as great choreography with the fights, of course.

Happy Death Day. This is nothing more than a remake of Groundhog's Day except the protagonist is murdered at the end of the day, over and over. No joke, selfish protagonist relives the same day over and over as she tries to find out who her murderer is. It actually does defy expectations a little bit and it is a pleasure to watch. I enjoyed it and it has it's fair share of humor.

For example, in Groundhog's Day, Bill Murray learns to be selfless. Here, we expect and the protagonist to do the same and she does, except she still gets murdered and has to relive the same day again. In other words, enlightenment and personal growth solve NOTHING. That was cool. Also while it gave me a chuckle it was also kinda stupid when her love interest says at the end of the movie what we have been thinking the whole time. "You know what this reminds me of? Groundhog's day with Bill Murray."

If you like horror or horror comedies give it a try. It's a fun watch.

Happy Death Day. This is nothing more than a remake of Groundhog's Day except the protagonist is murdered at the end of the day, over and over. No joke, selfish protagonist relives the same day over and over as she tries to find out who her murderer is. It actually does defy expectations a little bit and it is a pleasure to watch. I enjoyed it and it has it's fair share of humor.

For example, in Groundhog's Day, Bill Murray learns to be selfless. Here, we expect and the protagonist to do the same and she does, except she still gets murdered and has to relive the same day again. In other words, enlightenment and personal growth solve NOTHING. That was cool. Also while it gave me a chuckle it was also kinda stupid when her love interest says at the end of the movie what we have been thinking the whole time. "You know what this reminds me of? Groundhog's day with Bill Murray."

If you like horror or horror comedies give it a try. It's a fun watch.

I watched this on Halloween and totally agree that it defied my (very low) expectations. Definitely worth watching and far better than I could have expected.

Unfriended. Went into it expecting something above average from what friends and independent reviewers were saying. They were right that the decision to do everything through webcam was interesting. The rest was just the poor man's version of paranormal activity with the morality tale of, "Don't bully, it's bad." I don't recommend it.

A girl commits suicide after being cyberbullied, even though she herself was a bully. So, we're supposed to feel bad that a horrible person killed themselves for getting a taste of their own medicine. I liked the whole exposing everyone's secrets part, but didn't really buy the whole, "it's a ghost" thing. I think the only good part of the movie aside from the webcam style is that everybody dies. They were all dipshits, and I'm at that age where I root for the bad guy in slasher movies, because all the "victims" are annoying shitheads anyway lol

Horror movie victims tend to be very irritating. I think it's done on purpose so viewers aren't too distraught at their deaths.

Watched season one of Stranger Things. It's a good enough story to leave me wanting for more when I finish an episode but I'm not keen on many of the characters. By far the most annoying character is Will's mother: she is always trembling, making faces and overreacting. As kind-hearted as she is, she makes it hard to feel sympathetic towards her. As for the others, I feel like dialogues between certain characters are always the same. When the boys talk to each other, they always say the same things, Dustin and the black kid start fighting every time etc. All conversations that involve Nancy are awkward in the same way. I hate cliche dialogues that sound like this: "I'm sorry...I didn't mean it, I just...you know...I'm sorry." Another aspect, which would be easier to just disregard because it's part of the style of the series, is its childish simplicity. Government's chasing you? Hop on your bike and outride them. Want to infiltrate a military base? Grab a tool for fence cutting and go right ahead, no one's going to stop you.

I just started Stranger Things last night and I'm two episodes in. So far, I'm very hooked. A lot of my enjoyment is the nostalgia factor, obviously, it's meant to look and feel like an 80s adventure/sci-fi movie, but I'm still really enjoying the ride. By the time each episode is over I end up going, "How was that 50 mins?"

I'm sure if I get a few more episodes into Stranger Things I'll be hooked on that too...Mindhunter just captivated me faster. I also found out that Mindhunter is largely produced by David Fincher, the same guy who did "Se7en" and the "Zodiac" movie. and I'm crazy about his storytelling... and many of the episodes has the same kind of look and feel as those two movies.

Recently watched the UNDISPUTED series. They are four movies dealing with underground fights. The first one, like in most franchises, is the only one with big names and a proper release. The rest went straight to video, but they are GREAT if you enjoy martial arts movies. The second one in the series was critically acclaimed for its choreography. And surprisingly they are not lacking in story. Oddly, The first one, while a solid outing, IMO is the weakest, this is the only series of movies I've seen where the sequels get better instead of worse.

The first deals with a straightforward underground prison boxing match. The sequels go more the MMA route, but thankfully they go for the razzle dazzle flying kicks and stand-up style instead of the boring ground game that only true fans of MMA appreciate. They do have moments, but they don't last long, after all they are ACTION movies.

Another unique thing about the series is, the antagonist in the first movie is the protagonist in the second, the antagonist in the second is the protagonist in the third and the continuity is impressive. The only one that breaks from that formula is the fourth in which you once again follow the villain-turned-hero from the second and third movies.

The only continuity issue is the antagonist from the first movie gets re-cast in the second, but considering the first one was boxing and the second one goes more MMA and a little faster choreography it was understandable. I highly recommend all four if you can find them.

Sounds interesting @Onhell. Have you seen Dawg Fight from 2015? It sounds similar. This one being about illegal backyard fights in suburban ghettos in which we follow a few charismatic fighters....and them making a name for themselves within this "sport" and also the dreams of turning pro. It's out on Netflix.

Back