NOW WATCHING

Just saw Blade Runner 2049. Probably one of the loudest movies I have seen in a while (during certain parts). When I bought the tix, I was surprised to see the running time was 2 hours, 45 minutes. However, it did not drag to me at all. Slow paced yet at the same time, it felt right. Visually a journey into a different world where you are immersed. Similar to the first one but on a larger scale. Gotta wait until the third act (about two hours in) before Harrison Ford returns.

This is a film where you will spend the first half trying to figure out what is going on. Then, when you think you have it figured out, you will find out you are wrong. I liked the ending. My complaint is the Jared Leto character (Wallace) does not do a good job explaining his actions in either of the scenes he is in. I think the women in this film steal the show! Ana de Armas, Sylvia Hoeks, and Mackenzie Davis do fine jobs. I did not know Robin Wright is in the film. You would figure with her high profile right now due to her performance in Wonder Woman, she would be featured more prominently in the trailer...

This film is not for the masses. Without narration, it is left up to the viewer to decipher and it is a slow film. I think I enjoyed it. Will have to view again on Blu Ray with captions on (Sometimes in theaters I have a hard time figuring out what characters are saying).

I watched the old one yesterday for the first time. Cool cyberpunk setting, cool characters.
Roy's final lines before dying were touching. :goodbye:
I liked it. 8/10
I'm not that big on actors in general but Gosling and Ford are among my favourite ones so I'm looking forward to seeing the new one. Prolly going to take a long time for anything better than a cam recording to surface, though.

Well, it turns out it was a 3D screening, and 3d glasses don't fit over my glasses, so not missed those much anyway.

I pretty much agree with your synopsis, @terrell39. It's a long film, but didn't drag, although you need your wits about you to figure out - or at least develop theories - about what's happening/has happened. I still have some questions hovering. Visually stunning, and I think it had a lot of the feel of the original, but more slick and glossy as today's films tend to be. Maybe a little less of the streak of humour, and far more weighty and sinister implications. The female characters are definitely the big players, although Jared Leto is really going to creep me out for ever more.

I'm a huge fan of the original and I loved Blade Runner 2049. It has a completely different vibe, which technically should be flaw for me, since the atmosphere is one of the things I appreciate about the first one the most. In a weird way, though, it manages to feel like something completely different and an adequate sequel at the same time. It's extremely well shot and the story is engaging. I dig Gosling in the main role. Can't wait to see it again.

I was very surprised it turned out good, because I had zero faith in this project when they announced it. I mean, it did sound crazy. Making a cult classic sequel after over 35 years? "Get outta here."

I've always had mixed feelings about the original. I was sort of entertained by it, but found it too miserable overall, plus I couldn't stand the Vangelis music.

Thought-provoking, gorgeously-written take on the original Blade Runner
https://www.tor.com/2017/10/03/this-future-looks-familiar-watching-blade-runner-in-2017/
As a preparation for the new one (will see that on friday), I watched the old one last week. For the third time, I think. To be honest, I find the story itself very simple. There's not much strangeness in it indeed. It is a cold, hard world, in which some good individuals live. A well written article, but not very thought provoken imo. The action, the looks, the tension and the music do it for me in this film. They are incredibly well done.

edit:
Okay, this is special and thought provoking about the story of the film.

There is the aspect of the "robot" finding out (about itself) more and more. Wanting to be more human and survive longer. Wanting to be independent (not a slave). These matters, or at least the portraying of these, were rather new back then. Now we also have the series Westworld (I'd love to see this guy writing about Westworld!), which are expending on these matters. Westworld the series is more based on/inspired by Blade Runner than about Westworld the film.

Last edited:
Just watched Security with Antonio Banderas. I liked it, entertained me for 90 minutes so no complaints. Think First Blood meets The Professional meets Home Alone. You know exactly what's going to happen, but enjoy watching it unfold anyway.

Last watched:

5900999_sa.jpg;maxHeight=550;maxWidth=642

The Case for Christ (2017)

This one was actually fun. For those not in the know, it's a biographical movie about Lee Strobel, an investigative journalist whose wife converts to Christianity and he really can't accept it and tries to prove that the New Testament is bollocks. Considering the fact he's now a pastor, you probably know how this one ends.

Anyway, the movie presents a realistic searching journey of a curious soul. I mean, yeah, it shows Strobel as a real dickhead most of the time, aggresively hating his wife's religion and decisions and... well, presenting him as a jealous and narrow-minded gobshite. But IMHO it works, because that reaction is 1.) understandable, considering the circumstances, 2.) not that uncommon, actually.
I'd say the worst thing about it is that it still will neither convince nor at least move a bit a true sceptic - especially because while the movie's not that short at all, you simply can't cramp everything, every fact and argument in there, so there are some jumps and questions unanswered, but overall, it was neat.

It was not as sick-sweet as most American religious movies, though it still might be a bit too much for a cynical viewer.

Just to be clear - I don't recommend this movie to youse here on the forum. For most of you, it will probably be not thorough enough or too simplistic or whatever. But well done. Also, Kansas' Wayward Son is featured on the soundtrack (gee, what a surprise).

The_Hours_poster.jpg

The Hours (2002)

I was quite afraid beforehand that this one is not going to be for me. And ... yeah, it was not. I guess I respect the movie as a whole, I guess I even like the premise, but it's done in a way that's thoroughly unappealing to me. The music was very nice and I agree that the actresses did all good, but I'm going to probably forgot this film completely within the next few weeks. It's like a bit more mainstream and a bit more boring Woody Allen's Interiors (1978), IMHO. Without Diane Keaton.

7UxFOJ5dXfcDvj0OBGv7EQMITLu_kAUuBqpmf-58Y77W0E66AW8y68_pVTcEnpYsi5c=w400-h600

In Bruges (2008)

It's been a long time since I've seen a movie and immediately wanted to re-watch it, before even the credits ended. Funnily, I used to think this was going to be another Lock, Stock & Two Smoking Barrels (which I love, BTW), but I never got around to actually watch it. And it's not. It's... indescribable. If you haven't seen it yet, go now. Fuck, Raglan Road makes me cry.

P.S. - I don't know how I managed not to notice Clémence Poésy earlier (as Fleur Delacour) but fuck, what a ride.

minorityreportfcover.jpeg

Minority Report (2002)

This one I'd seen many times before, even went to see it in the cinema when it was out. We had a friend over and he wanted to watch some cool sci-fi movie and we found out he hadn't seen this one. He really liked it, too, so it's probably not just us. Cool ideas, cool execution, a PKD work done right.

And it looks like we will finally watch Salem's Lot 2 today, so the Stephen King thread might move forward again at last :D

Last edited:
In Bruges has easily become one of my top films of all time. Just all around aces in regards to writing, acting, directing, etc. What a great film.

@JudasMyGuide - If you haven’t seen them I highly recommend Martin McDonagh’s plays, even if you just read the text. Great, hilarious, bleak material.

I'm a huge fan of the original and I loved Blade Runner 2049. It has a completely different vibe, which technically should be flaw for me, since the atmosphere is one of the things I appreciate about the first one the most. In a weird way, though, it manages to feel like something completely different and an adequate sequel at the same time. It's extremely well shot and the story is engaging. I dig Gosling in the main role. Can't wait to see it again.

I was very surprised it turned out good, because I had zero faith in this project when they announced it. I mean, it did sound crazy. Making a cult classic sequel after over 35 years? "Get outta here."

I agree - I was actually shocked that a studio would fund a sequel and allow Villeneuve to film it in his contemplative/surreal style (that honors the original, but adds its own flavor). 2049 is so unlike most other Hollywood sci-fi. I really felt like I was watching a future classic to be talked about for years to come. It's a shame that the movie is underperforming at the American box office, but not surprising given the cult like status of the original and the heady approach that Villeneuve took. I just hope this doesn't impact his pending Dune project.

Going to see 2049 at the cinema on Wednesday. Good thing the one 2D screening amongst all the 3D ones fits my schedule well.

Back