NOW WATCHING

One quip/comment by Cried on an Iron Maiden forum is more detrimental to cinema than a flood of largely forgettable franchise films? :nuts2:

Maybe that sounded good when you said it to yourself, but that makes no sense.

One quip/comment by Cried on an Iron Maiden forum is more detrimental to cinema than a flood of largely forgettable franchise films? :nuts2:

Maybe that sounded good when you said it to yourself, but that makes no sense.
Cinema is all about perceptions. The concept that today's cinema is pumping out piles of crap whereas yesteryear's cinema was full of riches is both a false narrative and rather unfair to some of the franchises that are operating today. So yes, the idea that today's films are somehow lesser than what came before is a false idea that undermines a fair free attitude towards modern films.

Interesting discussion.

I'd also like to look at the people and way they made films. Do we have figures as revolutionary and/or influential as e.g. Hitchcock, Kurosawa and Kubrick (I just mention a few) these days? No, we do not. While the results of modern day cinema can be as equally great as films from the past (due to a good story and acting etc.), I miss a visionary "author" who consistently makes many strong films with an own signature. These signature people, people with own style. In the past there were more of such people, while still being original. Therefore, I am more impressed by older films (in general).

Cinema is all about perceptions.
All? Absolutely nothing else?
The concept that today's cinema is pumping out piles of crap whereas yesteryear's cinema was full of riches is both a false narrative and rather unfair to some of the franchises that are operating today. So yes, the idea that today's films are somehow lesser than what came before is a false idea that undermines a fair free attitude towards modern films.
That would be relevant if I had said anything like that. I didn't.

Foro, on the other hand, may well be saying something like that though...
I'd also like to look at the people and way they made films. Do we have figures as revolutionary and/or influential as e.g. Hitchcock, Kurosawa and Kubrick (just a few) these days? No, we do not. While the results of modern day cinema can be as equally great as films from the past (due to a good story and acting etc.), I miss a visionary "author" consistently making many strong films with an own signature.

There's also the fact that terrible and mediocre films of the past aren't very well known and only the exceptionally good ones are remembered. My Dad is still to this day trying to track down and prove the existence of a thoroughly dreadful historical epic that was so bad the entire audience booed and stamped their feet until everyone was thrown out of the cinema by the manager.

I'm not a fan of sausage meat cinema, where films come across as being churned out to seize a fleeting marketing trend or some sort of contract fulfilment rather than offering something new (that Jurassic sequel I mentioned earlier springs to mind). That's just the most centre-mainstream market, though, usually ultra family friendly and PG rated so they can get as many snack-buying people into the auditorium as possible. Ones that further the plot in a popular franchise are entertaining enough. The plot in a lot of older films develops in a different way that would probably be considered too slow by today's standards.

There's also the fact that terrible and mediocre films of the past aren't very well known and only the exceptionally good ones are remembered.
Aye, agreed. Although I think others (e.g. Foro) probably hold some of these older/classic films in higher regard than I do. It also means that the best from the past are good; they have stood the test of time. So comparing them to most films today & saying they're better is probably pretty fair. How many individual films from one of today's franchises will be remembered & well regarded in 20-30 years time? I think the franchises themselves will be remembered, but I'm not sure about individual films.
I'm not a fan of sausage meat cinema, where films come across as being churned out to seize a fleeting marketing trend or some sort of contract fulfilment rather than offering something new (that Jurassic sequel I mentioned earlier springs to mind). That's just the most centre-mainstream market, though, usually ultra family friendly and PG rated so they can get as many snack-buying people into the auditorium as possible.
Yip.
Ones that further the plot in a popular franchise are entertaining enough.
They are entertaining, I just don't think they're particularly great films.
The plot in a lot of older films develops in a different way that would probably be considered too slow by today's standards.
It'll be interesting to see how people view them in the future.

There are definitely more angles to consider. For example, I remember when watching High Society or Maltese Falcon, I thought to myself that the dialogues are unusually fast-paced, full of clever references and generally on the intellectual side. I'm not that used to it in current cinema (bar Allen), though I might merely be watching wrong movies.

There's also the "surprise" factor - I mean, if I watch a movies that's 60 years old, yet feels as current as then and I feel absolutely no need whatsoever to "roleplay" (get in the mind of the audience then), simply put - if it stands the test of time, I tend to rate it higher than anything recent. Fight Club got older (and more annoying) sooner than Vertigo did, that's for sure.

On the other hand, I can't imagine something like Memento or Watchmen be filmed then. My favourite movies are from various eras, some are quite modern (Zodiac - though you could say that's a decent nod to the 70's cinematography, Before Sunrise/Sunset/Midnight) but some are either old or deliberately timeless / throwbacks (A River Runs Through It, Once Upon a Time in America, Chinatown).

Back