NOW WATCHING

Yeah, the increased focus on the conspiracy plot frustrated me and made me lose interest in the series.

Went to see Lucy yesterday, really enjoyed it. It was a good movie and perfect for Scarlett Johansson (not a lot of emotion required) ..

Made it 2 hours into Das Boot Director's Cut yesterday before I had to go to bed because work. So looking forward to watching the last 1½ hours tonight. The only U-Boat movie I've seen that can really be called a masterpiece!

It is really good, I saw it in the theater when it came out and it was my second (after Star Wars) 5.1 Laser Disc, the home theater sound effects were really cool for the time.

Firefly (2002)

A real gem of a series that never got a chance. Cancelled during the production of episode 14, it never even got a finale. Not until DVD-sales caught Universal's attention and the film Serenity (2005) was made. Could I give this less than 10/10? Excellent cast with a real chemistry, atmospheric sets and fantastic dialogue.

10/10

Still Crazy (1998)

The best music film ever made. Great cast, excellent soundtrack and a believable story. Fictional Strange Fruit was a reasonably successful rock band in the 70's. When an opportunity for a reunion comes up there is only thing to do. Bill Nighy is excellent as the singer Ray Sims and he should have all the praise in the world for singing the songs himself instead of lip synching.

10/10

This is Spinal Tap (1984)

Considering the cult status of this "rockumentary" and the impact that it has had on popular culture I had high expectations. As it turns out, it was one of the most wearing films I have ever seen. Absolutely, brutally, tiring. Only the "these go to eleven"-quote saves this from being the worst film I have ever seen.

2/10

Rock Star (2001)

When Mark Walhberg goes over and talks to the guitarist on stage while in the middle of a song one thing is made clear - the writers paid no attention whatsoever to getting anything right. And they were lazy. It is a shame when the movie involved names such as the amazing Jeff Pilson, and Zakk Wylde. It is funny at times and entertaining, but there are so many things that are wrong with it that it gives me a headache. Unlike Still Crazy, the songs were not even movie originals and Mark Wahlberg only lip synchs.

5/10

Rock Star (2001)

When Mark Walhberg goes over and talks to the guitarist on stage while in the middle of a song one thing is made clear - the writers paid no attention whatsoever to getting anything right. And they were lazy. It is a shame when the movie involved names such as the amazing Jeff Pilson, and Zakk Wylde. It is funny at times and entertaining, but there are so many things that are wrong with it that it gives me a headache. Unlike Still Crazy, the songs were not even movie originals and Mark Wahlberg only lip synchs.

5/10

I actually enjoyed Rock Star, it used to be one of my favourite films (not watched it in a long while though admittedly). It's not the best film ever but the music helped with it, never expected Mark Wahlberg to sing either so that doesn't bother. I prefer the film version of 'We All Die Young' to the original (not heard any of the others). Part of what I liked of the film is simply the fact that he realises that he doesn't like what the lifestyle does to him, rather than just being all "woo I've made it!".

Welcome to our Firefly fan club, but spinal Tap is classic and Rock Star was flawed but fun.

I spend most of Spinal Tap laughing at the ridiculousness of it. I suppose if that sort of humour misses someone, it makes sense that they would find the movie quite boring.

As for Firefly, I do not rank it so high, except on potential. Maybe if it had a few seasons it would be considered the greatest sci-fi show of all time, but as it is, I find it to be more disappointing than anything else, because those stories never go anywhere (except to be hastily resolved in the less-good Serenity).

I spend most of Spinal Tap laughing at the ridiculousness of it. I suppose if that sort of humour misses someone, it makes sense that they would find the movie quite boring.

As for Firefly, I do not rank it so high, except on potential. Maybe if it had a few seasons it would be considered the greatest sci-fi show of all time, but as it is, I find it to be more disappointing than anything else, because those stories never go anywhere (except to be hastily resolved in the less-good Serenity).

About Spinal Tap, if there had been a story, a making of an album or something, I could have appreciated it, but as it was it there was just no narrative structure. No matter how good the jokes are, I can't enjoy something that is barely held together for well over an hour. It could have been a good 15 minute sketch, but no more.

Many people love Firefly and others speak of potential. To me, there was just the the chemistry and the hints of stories behind everything. I just want to know what happens between Mal and Inara, how Rivers' powers evolve, and who the hell Shepherd Book actually is. I want to see more of Jubal Early. I want to see the relationship between the Doctor and Kaylee evolve. This is what makes it so great. There is enormous potential for further greatness, but the series also gets you so involved on so few episodes that it deserves all the praise in the world. I can't say there's many series where I like and care for every castmember after just a couple of episodes. Maybe it would have gone downhill from there, who knows, but it's the promise that keeps it so alive in many peoples' eyes.

In retrospect, I think Serenity is a great film on its own, but it does not manage to connect to the atmosphere and feeling of Firefly - neither does it give a resolution to the storylines, which in the series was much more about the characters than the story of the Reavers and the universe.

I have to derail this discussion briefly to say how much I loved Guardians of the Galaxy! Holy crap, what a great movie. Definitely tied with Avengers as my favorite Marvel film. 2014 = the year where an ape and a raccoon made me more emotional than any human.

About Spinal Tap, if there had been a story, a making of an album or something, I could have appreciated it, but as it was it there was just no narrative structure. No matter how good the jokes are, I can't enjoy something that is barely held together for well over an hour. It could have been a good 15 minute sketch, but no more.

Many people love Firefly and others speak of potential. To me, there was just the the chemistry and the hints of stories behind everything. I just want to know what happens between Mal and Inara, how Rivers' powers evolve, and who the hell Shepherd Book actually is. I want to see more of Jubal Early. I want to see the relationship between the Doctor and Kaylee evolve. This is what makes it so great. There is enormous potential for further greatness, but the series also gets you so involved on so few episodes that it deserves all the praise in the world. I can't say there's many series where I like and care for every castmember after just a couple of episodes. Maybe it would have gone downhill from there, who knows, but it's the promise that keeps it so alive in many peoples' eyes.

In retrospect, I think Serenity is a great film on its own, but it does not manage to connect to the atmosphere and feeling of Firefly - neither does it give a resolution to the storylines, which in the series was much more about the characters than the story of the Reavers and the universe.

The narrative structure of Spinal Tap was about their ill-fated American tour, structured as a documentary. I don't think you'll find too many people who find that structuring to be a weakness - but, however you prefer, of course.

In the end, my feeling about Firefly is that it had a lot of background work put into it and we didn't get to see that come to fruition. I'm currently halfway through Buffy the Vampire Slayer and I find that had it been cancelled after the first season it would have led to a very anticlimactic feeling. When it comes to building a world, it's brilliant for getting done what it did in what little time it had. You're right - most people see the potential. I enjoyed Firefly.

(As a minor exception, I found it very racially insensitive to name a black character "Jubal Early". That kinda upset me a lot. I'm also not a big fan of the series' overall hint that the cause of the Southern States was the superior cause in the Civil War, but I can accept it uses that as a narrative structure.)

It's been ages since I last saw Spinal Tap, but I remember loving every bit of it. And I thought the narrative structure of it was pretty obvious - presenting the band, then following them on tour.

I'm currently halfway through Buffy the Vampire Slayer and I find that had it been cancelled after the first season it would have led to a very anticlimactic feeling.

I rewatched seasons two and three earlier this summer. I love that show.

I liked Firefly for the characters and the general vibe, but as has been noted it didn't go on long enough for the story to get much momentum. On the other hand... if it had continued, maybe we'd be sitting here talking about how terrible the last seasons were. :p

Finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy. I enjoyed it, it was a fun/stupid popcorn flick. A modern day Flash Gordon (the 80s movie, not the serial)

Watched The Walking Dead over the weekend from start to finish, very impressed. The episodes never feel rushed, always giving time to things that need it, and yet they feel incredibly packed and there was never any episodes I would class as 'dull', although some were less eventful than others naturally. Being a TV series rather than a film gives it something that I have generally found very lacking from zombie films - character development, rather than being a story of escape its more about the characters growing and interacting, with the zombies acting as a source of danger. The only downside is you know that things can't go well for them, something will always get in the way, although it does make you question the trustworthiness of every character that appears. Genuinely impressed with the show though, the season 2 finale was done in such a way that I was actually expecting end credits 1/3rd of the way in, the back half of season 4 was a bit weaker on the whole than the rest, but with some truly brutal gut-wrenching moments. Very very well put together, managing to keep some characters that seemed very simple actually interesting for multiple seasons, saving the big development points for when it was needed.

Finally saw Guardians of the Galaxy. I enjoyed it, it was a fun/stupid popcorn flick. A modern day Flash Gordon (the 80s movie, not the serial)

Out of curiosity, have you seen the other Marvel films, and if so how do you think it holds up? I've been finding a lot of people who have had little/no interest in the other films in the franchise have not only gone to see, but thoroughly enjoyed Guardians. It certainly seems to have a wider appeal, with there being a character for everyone.

I am not really a big fan of most Marvel movies .. I was never really a comic/super hero fan to begin with and I am burnt out with all these movies. I went to see this on on the recommendation of several people who said I would enjoy it and they were right. I do not think it is a master piece (or as some have called it a "new Star Wars" or anything like that. But it has some decent enough characters, enough of a plot, with cool effects ... and I like Chris Pratt from Parks and Rec

I think it falls into a "fun summer popcorn movie category" .... it fails to reach a higher threshold to me because there is not really much character development or plot for me, some have said "well, if you know the comics" ... but I do not know the comics as I suspect is the case with most people seeing this, so I am just going by what is on the screen

My bad, forgot to hit quote .. I was responding to this Guardians of the Galaxy movie question

===========
Out of curiosity, have you seen the other Marvel films, and if so how do you think it holds up? I've been finding a lot of people who have had little/no interest in the other films in the franchise have not only gone to see, but thoroughly enjoyed Guardians. It certainly seems to have a wider appeal, with there being a character for everyone.

There is a little development in the sense of them deciding to do something for other people rather than just themselves, Drax possibly getting a little more than the rest imo, but overall yeah, fairly simple concept. I probably enjoyed it more than Star Wars, but I agree it's not really comparable in anything other than enjoyment. Being primarily comedy based it's a film for certain moods and harder to equate.

Back