NOW WATCHING

I think Twin Peaks peaked with the first episode of the second season, the one with the giant. After that it went downhill, though much of it is still pretty fun. Resolving the murder was, of course, lethal for the show. As was the increased episode count, which led to all those filler subplots.

No idea what to think about another series. The key will be to recapture that special inviting-but-creepy atmosphere, I think that matters more than the actual plot with this show.

The US ending was supposedly different to the UK/World version.
As far as I know there is only one ending to the series, but there was a TV movie aimed at European networks which consists of the pilot with a kind of ending tacked on.

I never figured out what was the point with that homeless man following Kirsty into the pet store, and then at the end of the movie he suddenly reappears, goes into the flames after the box and turns into a dragon, WTF?! What did that have to do with anything? Unless this has some meaning in Hellraiser II (which I've not seen either) or something, that made no sense. The creepiest thing about the movie was not the cenobites or any of the creatures as such, but I thought the thing about Frank living in the house top floor unbeknownst to the rest of the family, just hiding in that room, and then Julia bringing him blood to regenerate, was the scariest "storyline" of the movie, in my opinion.

It was certainly creepy. However, that aspect of the film was so unexpected for me (perhaps because I had built up expectations over so many years having not seen it) that I found it annoying. I wanted to see more of the cube and cenobites!

Think they can make it worthwhile? The first season of Twin Peaks is incredible. Then it got fucked.

All Twin Peaks is good Twin Peaks, even when it went off the rails. Let's face it, it was off the rails the entire time, we just had more of a plot in the first season.

Fright Night is one of the few kitsch 80s films I can rewatch

Maybe this doesn’t work for guys as much, but I find my sympathies drift towards the vampire. The suave, seductive and misunderstood (even if rather evil) Jerry Dandridge is a much more appealing character than whining teen hero Charlie. Then there’s Evil Ed and Peter Vincent, Vampire Killer. All great characters.

I kinda liked the soundtrack too. The whole thing is a bit 80s nostalgic for me, rather than being dated in a bad way. It’s not scary at all, just very camp and theatrical. Good fun.

It is fun. I didn't know what to expect, but I enjoyed it. Is the remake worth watching?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Hellraiser was the dumbest thing ever. Usually the first movie in a horror franchise is pretty good to great and the sequels fuck it up (Jaws, Halloween, Friday the 13th, Chucky, etc). But this one... oh good god, it just sucked nuts.

I read an interview with David Lynch where he states that people only cared about who killed Laura, once that was resolved people lost interest, even though there was still shit going on. The ending freaked me out!

The FBI agent being chased around by his demonic doppelganger brought back many childhood nightmares, but that whole sequence in the alternate reality and him coming back as the evil version of himself and hitting his face on the mirror and laughing maniacally... I wanted to keep watching!

On to some new-old horror: Sunday I got to watch Annabelle. While I was a little bummed that James Wan only produced the film and neither wrote nor directed it, you can still see his influence. I really like his work and you can tell he is a fan of 60's/70's classic horror. His other movies (Dead Silence, Insidios 1 and 2, The Conjuring) all have that feel to them. In Annabelle just the opening title screen is reminiscent of The Exorcst/Rosemary's Baby. The movie itself is really good. As we know by know it is a spin-0ff of The Conjuring. The first 5 minutes or so of The Conjuring starts with two nurses retelling the horrors they experienced with the doll Annabelle to introduce Ed and Elaine Warren. Annabelle, like the Conjuring is based on a true story and both cases were examined by the couple.

I thought the movie was going to be about the two nurses and the ACTUAL case the Warrens investigated. Instead it is a back story of sorts to explain how the doll could have possibly become a conduit of evil. That means, no nurses, no Warrens, plenty of scary.

In the actual case the doll was a Raggedy Ann doll. Wan had this changed to one of those creepy life-looking dummies similar to those used in Dead Silence for a couple of reasons. One was licensing and the other well... Raggedy Ann is not scary. However, at the end of the film there is a small nod to the real doll as the mother of one of the nurses enters an antique shop looking for a gift for her daughter and as the camera pans the shop in the back of the shop a top a dresser there sits a Raggedy Ann doll. I thought that was a nice easter egg for hardcore fans.

I was a tad disappointed with a couple of elements in the movie. At some point they introduce a black woman who owns a book shop and it is blatantly obvious she falls under the Magical Negro archetype. Also she sacrifices herself so the child's mother doesn't have to die to placate the demon. Aside from the death of their neighbor's she is the only character that dies. What is it with killing black people in movies to save the white middle class family? GRRRR.

Gripes and cliche's aside another very competent horror film and worthy spin-off to The Conjuring. Rumor has it that the actual sequel will be the Ammityville Horror which the couple also investigated. At the end of the Conjuring they get a call about "A house in Long Island." There are also rumors of Insidious Chapter 3. As long as Wan's creative team is in charge I am watching them. About time we had decent horror movies again.

Having not kept up with recent Horror movies a whole lot, i decided to do some research and came across Annabell as well on some horror review site. If its even in the least bit comparable to The Exorcist and Rosemary's Baby I'll have to watch it. That's like two of my favorite movies ever, in any genre.

Haven't seen the Conjuring either, do I need to watch that one before Annabell?

Started up the Bates Motel TV series, much better than I was expecting. So far (4 episodes in), it is pretty cool.

Having not kept up with recent Horror movies a whole lot, i decided to do some research and came across Annabell as well on some horror review site. If its even in the least bit comparable to The Exorcist and Rosemary's Baby I'll have to watch it. That's like two of my favorite movies ever, in any genre.

Haven't seen the Conjuring either, do I need to watch that one before Annabell?

You do not have to watch the Conjuring to enjoy Anabelle. It is a spin-off and not a sequel or prequel, thus unrelated except for their connection to the Warrens. I LOVED the Conjuring, one of the most competent horror movies in recent years. In fact, the one that has impressed me the most since The Descent. That being said I am becoming a HUGE James Wan fan (Saw, Saw III, Insidious, Insidious Chapter 2, The Conjuring, Dead Silence) and even though he neither directed or wrote Annabelle, he produced it and you can tell.

Started up the Bates Motel TV series, much better than I was expecting. So far (4 episodes in), it is pretty cool.

Very good show! Vera Farmiga is fantastic as Norma Bates. In interviews she has said that the biggest challenge has been how to make her character (who we know what she becomes and what happens to her) sympathetic and human. Definitely a show to watch along with American Horror Story.

I recently have become obsessed with Louis C.K., have been watching his stand-up shows for a while. My favorite comedian for sure. I also started watching his TV show, Louie and it's simply awesome. You should see it if you haven't.

I recently have become obsessed with Louis C.K., have been watching his stand-up shows for a while. My favorite comedian for sure. I also started watching his TV show, Louie and it's simply awesome. You should see it if you haven't.

I saw him live last month at The Oddball Comedy Fest, along with Sarah Silverman, Aziz Ansari, Hannibal Burress, that guy from @Midnight, and some other people I can't remember...Louis and Aziz were the standouts of the show. I've been meaning to watch his series for awhile, but I've just got so much stuff to see!

You do not have to watch the Conjuring to enjoy Anabelle. It is a spin-off and not a sequel or prequel, thus unrelated except for their connection to the Warrens. I LOVED the Conjuring, one of the most competent horror movies in recent years. In fact, the one that has impressed me the most since The Descent. That being said I am becoming a HUGE James Wan fan (Saw, Saw III, Insidious, Insidious Chapter 2, The Conjuring, Dead Silence) and even though he neither directed or wrote Annabelle, he produced it and you can tell.

I watched The Conjuring last night and really liked it! Not super original, there's some The Others in there, some The Changeling, and of course some Amityville Horror in there too but wow, really structured incredibly well, atmospheric and the really scary parts were genuinely watch-through-fingers scary! :scared: But of course I also did watch it in the dead of night with no lights on, that always helps :ok:

I'd rank it pretty high, 8/10 and definitely recommend it to everyone here who hasn't seen it :yes:

I saw him live last month at The Oddball Comedy Fest, along with Sarah Silverman, Aziz Ansari, Hannibal Burress, that guy from @Midnight, and some other people I can't remember...Louis and Aziz were the standouts of the show. I've been meaning to watch his series for awhile, but I've just got so much stuff to see!

Nice! Louie is darker in tone in relation to his stand-up shows where he does touch darker/sensitive subjects. The first thing I'd use to describe the show would be "real". I'm already past the 3rd season in the first week I've started watching.

I like his standup shows. My first exposure to Louis CK was listening to a CD of his, can't remember the name, but there's a segment where he describes taking his daughters on holiday somewhere in Europe and his youngest daughter gets bit by a pony :D

I don't like what I've seen from the TV show, definitely prefer listening to him in standup instead of watching him acting it out etc.

"I think you actually killed somebody. Did you throw a trident? You should probably find a safe house."

I have never before liked Steve Carrell at all. Disliked him since his Daily Show days. Liked him in this. LOUD NOISES

"I don't know what we're yelling about!" LOL. The sequel was not as "ha-ha" funny, but the social critique was better, worth watching even with the Ice Castles spoof detour.

Back